The Candid Canonist - Christian Thoughts | Page 7 | Religion Spirituality | Forum

A A A
Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
The Candid Canonist - Christian Thoughts
November 7, 2009
6:41 am
Avatar
frrostedman
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3815
Member Since:
September 4, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I am afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures and engraving them in the heart of the youth.

- Martin Luther

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein

November 9, 2009
6:35 am
Avatar
Dibs
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 29
Member Since:
May 27, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It's ironic, how Martin Luther started the whole Protestant Reformation to break away from the Catholic Church because of all the things he saw as wrong and corrupt within the church; and yet, if one were to criticize Protestants today, a good many of them act as if the very act of questioning religion is sinful.

Ironic.

November 9, 2009
2:50 pm
Avatar
qmark
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"Dibs" wrote: It's ironic, how Martin Luther started the whole Protestant Reformation to break away from the Catholic Church because of all the things he saw as wrong and corrupt within the church; and yet, if one were to criticize Protestants today, a good many of them act as if the very act of questioning religion is sinful.

Ironic.

Martin Luther didn't question God, or the existance of God. or the scriptures. He questioned the Catholic Church's handling of the scriptures. This should be encouraged by all Christians to guard against cults.

November 9, 2009
6:14 pm
Avatar
Dibs
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 29
Member Since:
May 27, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"qmark" wrote: [quote="Dibs"]It's ironic, how Martin Luther started the whole Protestant Reformation to break away from the Catholic Church because of all the things he saw as wrong and corrupt within the church; and yet, if one were to criticize Protestants today, a good many of them act as if the very act of questioning religion is sinful.

Ironic.

Martin Luther didn't question God, or the existance of God. or the scriptures. He questioned the Catholic Church's handling of the scriptures. This should be encouraged by all Christians to guard against cults.

More precisely, he criticized their interpretation of the scripture-- but once you interpret one part as a metaphor, then you can always say "Oh, well my interpretation was wrong" as a fall-back in case you were wrong; that way then technically the bible wasn't wrong, just the interpretation.

But really, once you open up even a minuscule part of the scripture to being metaphorical, whose to say where to draw that line? What about Pantheist views for example? It still accounts for the existence of God, but it's still wildly different than the typical interpretation of the scripture by most Protestants. How do you define God?

Where is the line between a church and a cult? It's all in the connotation. It's a cult if it's bad, a church if it's good? After all, some would say that in the early days of Christianity, that they were technically a cult.

November 9, 2009
10:29 pm
Avatar
frrostedman
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3815
Member Since:
September 4, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

He did much more than question the convenient interpretations that filled the coffers in the Catholic Church. He crusaded to get a bible in everyone's hands to let them read it for themselves. The Germans in that day had (limited) access to nothing but a book with Latin texts in it that they couldn't read, and the Catholic Church saying, "That's alright, we'll tell you what it says. And oh by the way, do you have a relative that recently died? Give us some money and we'll gaurantee his or her release from purgatory into heaven."

What Luther did was quite noble and courageous, considering the power of who he was up against.

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein

November 10, 2009
7:08 am
Avatar
Dibs
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 29
Member Since:
May 27, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Right, but the whole 'think for yourself' thing is all to often discouraged when it comes to religion. But I find it particularly ironic for Protestants to do so considering the history behind it.

Which is why I feel that it's just plane ignorant when people protest movies saying 'Jesus doesn't want you to see this move.' If you are really that committed to your faith, what harm could a movie do? It shows that they're insecure about their faith. I get that people are naturally joiners, and that protesters like that want people to join them, but it kind of shows how they need that support behind them to know they made the right choice. If you've really taken your religious beliefs to heart, then a movie or a book is still just a movie or a book.

November 11, 2009
3:36 am
Avatar
frrostedman
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3815
Member Since:
September 4, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Si, Dibs. A person mature in their faith shouldn't have any problem watching whatever movies or reading whatever books.

I noticed since being one of faith however, that I lost interest in many books and movies that I otherwise would have fancied quite a bit.

From my avatar I'm sure you can see that I'm pretty liberal when it comes to what movies I watch. 🙂

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein

November 11, 2009
6:00 am
Avatar
Guest
Guests

"Dibs" wrote: Right, but the whole 'think for yourself' thing is all to often discouraged when it comes to religion. But I find it particularly ironic for Protestants to do so considering the history behind it.

Which is why I feel that it's just plane ignorant when people protest movies saying 'Jesus doesn't want you to see this move.' If you are really that committed to your faith, what harm could a movie do? It shows that they're insecure about their faith. I get that people are naturally joiners, and that protesters like that want people to join them, but it kind of shows how they need that support behind them to know they made the right choice. If you've really taken your religious beliefs to heart, then a movie or a book is still just a movie or a book.

It stems from Protestantism (Low Church) removing the concept of sacraments as protective measures. If one's spiritual protection comes solely from a prayer and what is essentially a hope you're 'saved', then naturally you'll fear ideas from films and books. The idea of the Church as a protector of the faithful is alien to them, given the idea of 'autonomous churches' and Christ as Cosmic Buddy. I'm not Catholic, but I can understand the Protestant mind-set - full of fear and that ol' burning desire to stamp out thought-forms that don't reconcile with one's theocratic worldview. yes, I'm being harsh, but lately I've had to defend my own beliefs from this stuff. Forgive me if I've offended.

November 11, 2009
3:01 pm
Avatar
screamzero
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 531
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

.......view it all as an analogy...extrapolate that.............

November 12, 2009
12:53 am
Avatar
qmark
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1110
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

"frrostedman" wrote: Si, Dibs. A person mature in their faith shouldn't have any problem watching whatever movies or reading whatever books.

I noticed since being one of faith however, that I lost interest in many books and movies that I otherwise would have fancied quite a bit.

Exactly! Christians should be led by the Spirit. If the Holy Spirit says don't go, then don't go. If you're not being led not to, then go and enjoy.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 288

Currently Online:
29 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

greeney2: 10310

bionic: 9870

Lashmar: 5289

tigger: 4576

rath: 4297

DIss0n80r: 4161

sandra: 3858

frrostedman: 3815

Wing-Zero: 3278

Tairaa: 2842

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2

Members: 24826

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 31

Topics: 9088

Posts: 124389

Newest Members:

CynG, fastmoney, Hung Le, caegwe, momo, Karen, Stanley Doughty, mynxforQ, toddbrock, Lemon

Administrators: John Greenewald: 640, blackvault: 1776