God Is Imaginary: Try Praying Statistically Analyze Prayer | Page 5 | Religion Spirituality | Forum

A A A
Avatar
Please consider registering
Guest
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
God Is Imaginary: Try Praying Statistically Analyze Prayer
Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10
March 10, 2012 - 6:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"greeney2" wrote: Challenge says what if we get down on our knees and pray--did you do that EH or Humphreys? Did you pray in Faith and pray in the name of Jesus.

Don't you want cancer cured? Have you tried this prayer?

Don't you think it's pretty likely someone somewhere already has made a heartfelt prayer asking for a worldwide cure for cancer? I would imagine this particular request is asked daily by millions of people.

Has God cured it?

All those starving and suffering people in Africa. You don't think they have thought of praying to God to be saved? And yet they still die. The amount of suffering across the world is actually staggering once you step outside the comfort of civilized nations like the USA. Prayer has not saved these people.

Come join us in the real world some time.

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10355
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11
March 10, 2012 - 7:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"humphreys" wrote: [quote="greeney2"]Humphreys, nice try right off the bat this is facicious, condesending, and least of all heartfelt praying with humility.

Greeney, you're doing it again. I am not Event, and that was not my post.

At least try to pay attention.

Hey numbnuts, you gave a challange to show a specific line that was bitter or angry! Pay attention to your own debate! Embarassed

Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10355
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12
March 10, 2012 - 7:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"humphreys" wrote: [quote="greeney2"]Challenge says what if we get down on our knees and pray--did you do that EH or Humphreys? Did you pray in Faith and pray in the name of Jesus.

Don't you want cancer cured? Have you tried this prayer?

Don't you think it's pretty likely someone somewhere already has made a heartfelt prayer asking for a worldwide cure for cancer? I would imagine this particular request is asked daily by millions of people.

Has God cured it?

All those starving and suffering people in Africa. You don't think they have thought of praying to God to be saved? And yet they still die. The amount of suffering across the world is actually staggering once you step outside the comfort of civilized nations like the USA. Prayer has not saved these people.

Come join us in the real world some time.

So your answer is NO you did not get on your own knees and pray for this! The answer is NO you did not do a heartfelt prayer, and NO you did not find 30 seconds to Pray in the name of Jesus to try saving anyone!

There is nothing heartfelt about this proof, in is nothing but another empty argument, and nothing genuine about caring for Cancer victims. In fact, you only show your callusness twards those suffering at all, to stoop to using their suffering for some assinine point. That you would not take your own challenge, to lower yourself to say a heartfelt prayer, JUST IN CASE GOD IS NOT IMAGINARY for them. Nobody is looking what are you afraid of? This only prooves you do not even believe these ridiculous proofs, what are you afraid of if God is Imaginary, to actually say a prayer for someone else?

Trying to imagine how such critical thinkers can be so stupid with their arguments!

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13
March 10, 2012 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"greeney2" wrote: [quote="humphreys"][quote="greeney2"]Humphreys, nice try right off the bat this is facicious, condesending, and least of all heartfelt praying with humility.

Greeney, you're doing it again. I am not Event, and that was not my post.

At least try to pay attention.

Hey numbnuts, you gave a challange to show a specific line that was bitter or angry! Pay attention to your own debate! Embarassed

Well, first, you need to quote the line of mine you're responding to so I know what you're on about, and second, that paragraph of the article you quoted was neither bitter, nor angry. Try again?

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14
March 10, 2012 - 7:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"greeney2" wrote: So your answer is NO you did not get on your own knees and pray for this! The answer is NO you did not do a heartfelt prayer, and NO you did not find 30 seconds to Pray in the name of Jesus to try saving anyone!

I used to be a believer, greeney, I know all about heartfelt prayer and its affect (or lack thereof) because I spent a decent portion of my teen years doing it.

"greeney2" wrote: There is nothing heartfelt about this proof, in is nothing but another empty argument, and nothing genuine about caring for Cancer victims. In fact, you only show your callusness twards those suffering at all, to stoop to using their suffering for some assinine point.

Proving that something as widely used as prayer is utterly useless is asinine? :wtf:

"greeney2" wrote: That you would not take your own challenge, to lower yourself to say a heartfelt prayer, JUST IN CASE GOD IS NOT IMAGINARY for them. Nobody is looking what are you afraid of? This only prooves you do not even believe these ridiculous proofs, what are you afraid of if God is Imaginary, to actually say a prayer for someone else?

Trying to imagine how such critical thinkers can be so stupid with their arguments!

You are the Christian, greeney. Did YOU say the prayer? Please, since you are such a saint and you believe you communicate with God, say a heartfelt prayer for us like the millions of others out there requesting cancer be irradicated, and then we'll sit back and wait for the magic to happen, yeah?

You're clearly making ridiculous requests like asking me to videotape myself down on my knees to God because you know full well he will NOT cure cancer, even if you beg him from your heart.

I can certainly hazard a guess as to why.

The facts are bleeding obvious. If praying to God and asking for him to cure cancer worked, it would have ceased to exist as soon as the first heartfelt prayer was made, years and years ago. We would not even be having this conversation.

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15
March 10, 2012 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Greeney, do you actually believe that if you make a heartfelt prayer to God asking for him to wipe out the disease that is cancer, entirely, in the next week, that he will do so?

I don't think you believe this. In fact, I think you damn well know he won't and you're just wasting everyone's time by being disingenuous and argumentative.

If you really do believe he will cure cancer at your request, then you're just plain evil for not having done so already.

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10355
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
16
March 10, 2012 - 8:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You idiots brought this argument that failed again! Who ever claimed the conditions, you load onto your experiment for prayer, which you yourselves did not even try to do, could result from a prayer? It is not a magic trick where Karnak makes a Lamborgini appear before your eyes. Its as stupid as saying proove your love for your child and go kill yourself, otherwise you don't love your child! Only a lunatic would do that, and only a lunatic would think one prayer will result in a cure for cancer, and if not prayers do not work. More to the point is only a lunatic would use this example of such to deduct God is imaginary, prayer does not work, and everyone but you two are stupid.

Like I said all you idiots want is an argument, play devils advocate, and whatevr is think up more stupid replies. No, you aren't angry or bitter.

You are not even capable is just saying, "Greeney is right, I did ask to be shown a specific line in the text", and your response was to make be look like a fool about EH. Prooving, nobody can tell you anything, and you wonder why I called you numbnuts, which probably extents way beyond this subject for you.

You guys can talk the big talk, but I'd love to be a fly on your walls, seeing how your real life it going!

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17
March 10, 2012 - 8:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"greeney2" wrote: You idiots brought this argument that failed again! Who ever claimed the conditions, you load onto your experiment for prayer, which you yourselves did not even try to do, could result from a prayer? It is not a magic trick where Karnak makes a Lamborgini appear before your eyes. Its as stupid as saying proove your love for your child and go kill yourself, otherwise you don't love your child! Only a lunatic would do that, and only a lunatic would think one prayer will result in a cure for cancer, and if not prayers do not work. More to the point is only a lunatic would use this example of such to deduct God is imaginary, prayer does not work, and everyone but you two are stupid.

If you read the OP, you will see that he quoted Bible passages that say, quite clearly, if you pray for something good, sincerely with faith, it WILL be granted, exactly like a magic trick.

You are now indirectly calling your own Bible stupid for saying that, and disagreeing with it.

Why the hell wouldn't prayer be like a magic trick anyway? God can do anything, can't he?

I am glad we agree that God will not cure cancer if we pray for it, though. But for some odd reason, you think that's clearly ridiculous, while asking him to cure cancer in individuals is quite reasonable and just might work, even though as soon as we actually check whether it's working using statistics it magically stops?

I think I'm starting to get it :crazy:

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18
March 10, 2012 - 8:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"greeney2" wrote: You guys can talk the big talk, but I'd love to be a fly on your walls, seeing how your real life it going!

Not perfect, but pretty good? Does that disappoint you?

One happy child about to start school, expecting another (girl), pretty good job, decent home, enough money to get by comfortably, nice family (we all get along).

Sorry there's nothing horrible for you to get off on in there, I'll let you know if anything bad happens? ūüėē

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10355
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
19
March 10, 2012 - 8:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your perspective is not that reliable, I'd like to hear what the fly has to say if you don't mind! Laugh

I wonder if you also believe everyone wishes misery on you, or just sees it in you? :think:

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 341
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 58
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
greeney2: 10355
bionic: 9871
Lashmar: 5290
tigger: 4577
rath: 4298
DIss0n80r: 4162
sandra: 3859
frrostedman: 3816
Wing-Zero: 3279
Tairaa: 2843
Newest Members:
Fumino Kurota
nikkireed
Julie Miller
CCZozo
ItsJustMeHi
real pharmacy
Anna
Pedro Rosa
TerryL
SandrGarcia
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 31
Topics: 9651
Posts: 125905

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2
Members: 25530
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2
Administrators: John Greenewald, blackvault