Former believer - pastor comes out as non-believer | Page 3 | Religion Spirituality | Forum

A A A
Avatar
Please consider registering
Guest
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Former believer - pastor comes out as non-believer
Avatar
at1with0
Member
Forum Posts: 9244
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21
March 27, 2012 - 6:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another one bites the dust.

"it is easy to grow crazy"

Avatar
frrostedman
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3816
Member Since:
September 4, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22
March 27, 2012 - 7:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"humphreys" wrote: I think the most interesting part was his implication that many other religious "authorities" likely have significant doubts themselves, and that it is a constant inner battle between absolute belief and real doubt.

No doubt about it!

All believers struggle with fear, doubt, and disbelief.

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23
March 27, 2012 - 7:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"greeney2" wrote: You waffle so bad in your arguement you should be in the International House of Pancakes selling them. Pink Elephants don't exist, but if they did, they are why my flowers are trampled. 😛 Damn Pink Elephants they are to blame. Laugh

🙄

"greeney2" wrote: Show me facts and figures to proove your point about atheist charities, becasue one on the top of your list did have financial figures, showing current donations of a whopping $34,000 dollars. I looked their websites up! One of the others did have a large staff but no facts or figures, other than claiming they had euros for grants you could appply for. Nothing like food and medicine airlifts I could find. but still atheist organizations combined, was very small in any comparison.

Your claim was that there were no atheist charities or groups out there doing good, my claim was that there are, and the link I gave you proved that.

I'm really not sure what you expect me to be able to provide, a detailed rundown of every atheist who ever gave money to charity? You're really trying to cheapen the idea of goodwill by putting a number on it and it's pretty sick.

"greeney2" wrote: I'm not making this a competion, and any help or giving should not be regarded as dismal, however for a group who claims God is the cause of such suffering in the world, I would expect something much more.

Like I said, atheist and freethinkers are not in the habit of joining groups, they do their work individually. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are unbelievers who have given an obscene amount of money to charitable causes, for a start.

You clearly are trying to make this a competition because your initial claim about atheists was clearly false.

"greeney2" wrote: Believers do not have a hard time at all explaining evil. Evil exists in the world in many forms, and it has to do with God giving you and everyone free will.

The problem of evil is an issue for many believers, the pastor included.

"greeney2" wrote: You talk about free thinking, that is nothing unique to athiests, its just part of your ego insisting how right you are, and only you are capable of free thinking. We all have free will, to act and think, or to be decieved by the evil of the world. My point with the Pastors kindness as a person was obvious in your video, he was not on a mission to drag anyone else down, or influence his congregation away from God. He may have lost his Faith, but still had a heart of a good person. You could not say the same thing about Dawkins, yourself, or EH, who all bragg about, if you were able to take someones Faith away. What forces are in play to hurt otherwise secure and content people, who belief and worship God, and live everyday according to their Faith?

I doubt you know anything about Dawkins, his private life is personal and neither you nor I have any idea what he may or may not have contributed to charitable causes.

Here is some good Dawkins has done you are obviously not aware of, again, took me 2 seconds on google:

http://givingaid.richarddawkins.net/

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity ... rd-dawkins

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24
March 27, 2012 - 7:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What I find most offensive is scenes of starving families being delivered bibles. The looks on their faces when they realize they can't actually eat it can be heartbreaking.

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25
March 27, 2012 - 7:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As we are in the habit of enquiring personal details about who has and has not given to charity, care to tell us what your total donation is, greeney?

I would also like to know how much you earn and what your other expenses are, so I can see whether your donation is in proportion to your earn. Got any luxury items you can do without? I'm pretty sure God would prefer you donate them if you could.

How about John Jr? I'm SURE he has a few extra dollars lying around too.

If you have literally ANYTHING you do not need you are being a bad Christian and not doing enough! :thumbdown:

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
frrostedman
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3816
Member Since:
September 4, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
26
March 27, 2012 - 8:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"humphreys" wrote: What I find most offensive is scenes of starving families being delivered bibles. The looks on their faces when they realize they can't actually eat it can be heartbreaking.

On the other hand if you ever run across Ezekiel or John the Apostle, you can ask them what Scriptures taste like. They were ordered to eat their own scrolls. I'm thinking the starving families might have been better off. Then again, hey... a little salt or hot sauce and it might be some decent grub. :drool:

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein

Avatar
humphreys
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
Member Since:
August 21, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
27
March 27, 2012 - 8:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you wanted to be really evil you could give them a Quran instead and tell them to eat it, while filming it, and then you send it to a muslim acquaintance.

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris

Avatar
frrostedman
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 3816
Member Since:
September 4, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
28
March 27, 2012 - 8:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"humphreys" wrote: If you wanted to be really evil you could give them a Quran instead and tell them to eat it, while filming it, and then you send it to a muslim acquaintance.

The silver lining is, they won't be worried about their next meal much longer! I knew you had at least a SHRED of good in you! Very thoughtful.

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein

Avatar
event_horizon
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 1633
Member Since:
April 22, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
29
March 28, 2012 - 1:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"greeney2" wrote: Show me facts and figures to proove your point about atheist charities, becasue one on the top of your list did have financial figures, showing current donations of a whopping $34,000 dollars. I looked their websites up! One of the others did have a large staff but no facts or figures, other than claiming they had euros for grants you could appply for. Nothing like food and medicine airlifts I could find. but still atheist organizations combined, was very small in any comparison. I'm not making this a competion, and any help or giving should not be regarded as dismal, however for a group who claims God is the cause of such suffering in the world, I would expect something much more. And for a group that claims such a large percentage of the population, charities are disporportionate to numbers.

All the church does is sit around on their asses and collect free money. Big wow. Any bum can do that.

The church can obviously do a lot more because they're a much bigger organization and receive much more money -- reason being there are millions of fools that donate to them because they think they can buy their way into Fantasyland.

Atheist charities and donations are much more honorable, because there are no underlying objectives of doing it for brownie points towards a place in "Heaven".

horizon

 

The mixed breed three-eyed half grey alien half cyclops mutant from a galaxy so far away you can't even get there if you folded space.

 

Interdimensional Renegade

Avatar
greeney2
Member
Members
Forum Posts: 10355
Member Since:
April 9, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30
March 28, 2012 - 4:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've never seen anyone with such misconceptions of what is really the truth.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
Most Users Ever Online: 341
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 49
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
greeney2: 10355
bionic: 9871
Lashmar: 5290
tigger: 4577
rath: 4298
DIss0n80r: 4162
sandra: 3859
frrostedman: 3816
Wing-Zero: 3279
Tairaa: 2843
Newest Members:
norberg36
Hypertech
Betsy Kulas
Walter Cameron
Kmjezik
iso9001
nikkireed
Julie Miller
CCZozo
ItsJustMeHi
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 31
Topics: 9660
Posts: 125957

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2
Members: 25533
Moderators: 0
Admins: 2
Administrators: John Greenewald, blackvault