The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

William Lane Craig

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby frrostedman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Intriguing on the pi / heat dissipation.

Mildly interesting that I immediately thought of Cardinal Wolsey (my ancestor of about 525 years ago) when you said cardinal math.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_PI

Super PI is used by many overclockers to test the performance and stability of their computers. In the overclocking community, the standard program provides a benchmark for enthusiasts to compare "world record" pi calculation times and demonstrate their overclocking abilities. The program can also be used to test the stability of a certain overclock speed. If a computer is able to calculate pi to the 32 millionth place after the decimal without mistake, it is considered to be moderately stable in terms of RAM and CPU. However, longer tests with other CPU/RAM intensive calculation programs will run for hours instead of minutes and may give and/or provide better stress system stability. While Super PI is not the fastest program for calculating pi (see software for calculating π for faster alternatives), it remains very popular in the hardware and overclocking communities.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Oh, I see, it's just a benchmark calculcation that goes on inherently, forever. I thought it was something else, like the number pi is used to calculate heat dissipation in some formula.

Got it.

By the way, I know where I got my fat gene from. Yeesh. Kill me now. No wonder he was celibate. Probably had no choice, then displayed it as a pious decision.

Then again, he probably wasn't completely celibate, since he died of syphylis just before his scheduled execution.

"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby greeney2 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:41 pm

I finally finished the video link from a few days ago, where Richard Dawkins and William Craig were in the debate. It was hard to follow becasue in was held in Mexico and all the announcing was in Spanish. But the debate was English and pretty interresting, very cordial, and respectful, but direct at times. I actually watched more to see the Physacist John had in one of his shows he produced also spoke. The time cut off caught a few people short of finishing their thoughts, but thats debating. One audiance question was pretty abrasive twards the Atheists, but all the stage participants were not.
greeney2

Postby frrostedman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:07 pm

I read Lee Strobel's A Case for Christ and William Lane Craig was one of the people interviewed.

All these logical arguments for a Creator are great, but, if we are to believe the bible, not one single logical argument in support of God--in and of itself, no matter how well articulated--will win over a single soul.

We do what we do because we feel compelled to and in my opinion because it's a joy to do so. But, we aren't convincing anyone of anything. And never will.
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Yeah, on another forum, people are attacking the Fundy for his views and I butted in and asked who there was free of confirmation bias. Got a couple of non-Christians involved to admit they also suffer from confirmation bias. I went on to say that logic doesn't not subtract from faith, no matter how air tight it is.
at1with0

Postby khanster » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 pm

at1with0 wrote:Yeah, on another forum, people are attacking the Fundy for his views and I butted in and asked who there was free of confirmation bias. Got a couple of non-Christians involved to admit they also suffer from confirmation bias. I went on to say that logic doesn't not subtract from faith, no matter how air tight it is.

Faith is equivalent to an expectation value.
khanster

Postby khanster » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:52 pm

frrostedman wrote:Intriguing on the pi / heat dissipation.

Mildly interesting that I immediately thought of Cardinal Wolsey (my ancestor of about 525 years ago) when you said cardinal math.

How can Cardinal Wolsey be your ancestor if he was celibate?
khanster

Postby at1with0 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:24 am

khanster wrote:
at1with0 wrote:Yeah, on another forum, people are attacking the Fundy for his views and I butted in and asked who there was free of confirmation bias. Got a couple of non-Christians involved to admit they also suffer from confirmation bias. I went on to say that logic doesn't not subtract from faith, no matter how air tight it is.

Faith is equivalent to an expectation value.

Explain.
at1with0

Postby greeney2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:19 am

khanster wrote:
frrostedman wrote:Intriguing on the pi / heat dissipation.

How can Cardinal Wolsey be your ancestor if he was celibate?

Easy! On a family tree, he may have been one of several brothers from the same Father or generation, who on the family tree, will show no marriage or children, and he would still be an ancestor of Frrostys.
greeney2

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts