The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Heavyweight Boxer Greg Page Dies at 50

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:08 pm

If you are a boxing fan, Greg Page was a well known name in the 80's and 90's, passed away from injuries suffered in the ring in 2001. With a record of 58-16-1, this raised questions of how many losses should result in mandatory retirement. When the loss/win ratio begins to be trending into more losses, its time before serious injury. Sad day for boxing, sad day for his family.

Former boxing champ Greg Page dies
Apr 27, 11:09 am EDT

Buzz up!4 votes PrintLOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP)—Greg Page, a former heavyweight boxing champion who suffered a severe brain injury in a 2001 fight, has died at his Louisville home. He was 50.

His wife, Patricia Page, said she found the one-time World Boxing Association champion in his bed Monday morning. Patricia Page said he died of complications related to injuries he suffered in the fight.

Page told The Associated Press her husband “is in a better place now.”

The March 9, 2001, fight left Page in a coma for nearly a week. He then had a stroke during post-fight surgery. He was paralyzed on his left side and received intensive physical therapy.

Page won a $1.2 million settlement in 2007 with Kentucky boxing officials over the lack of medical personnel at the fight. Boxing officials also agreed to establish a medical review panel for the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Authority to check the health conditions of people involved in the sport who may be at risk for injury.

Page started fighting while growing up in Louisville and was sparring with Muhammad Ali by the time he was 15. He became the National Golden Gloves heavyweight champion in 1978 at age 20.

He turned to professional boxing and lost his first shot at the WBA heavyweight championship in 1984 to Tim Witherspoon. In December of that year, Page knocked out Gerrie Coetzee in the eighth round of their bout in South Africa to claim the title, but lost on points to Tony Tubbs five months later.

Page continued boxing through 1993, then took two years off after being knocked out by Bruce Seldon. He started again in 1996.

Page was 42 and had a 58-16-1 career record going into the $1,500 fight against Dale Crowe at Peels Palace in Erlanger, Ky., near Cincinnati. Crowe was 24 and an up-and-coming boxer. Page went down after 10 rounds and didn’t get up.

Patricia Page said Monday that funeral arrangements were pending.
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 am

Shame. He was before my time but when a fighter get hurt in the ring it’s always sad. :cry:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:56 am

Before your time :shock: Hell son you cain't be no bigger than a corn nubbin! :lol: :lol:

Lot's of injuries occur in the ring, especially at the dive level, where no one with any real experience is looking on. Very very sad.

Do you remember when George Foreman beat Michale Moorer? I watched that entire fight and called the KO as soon as Moorer was busted in the heart by a foreman right hand. That punch could have killed Morrer, lucky for him it didn't.

He received, took one step backwards with a blank stare and his mouth wide open. I told a buddy " It's over " within a second Morrer was on the canvas from another right hand to the face because the previous right is the one that actually did the damage. I'm positive that it stopped his heart for a beat or three. Very very lucky.

Check it out at 1:14-13 left in the bout, 2:15 or so left on the footage. It's exactly why Morrer didn't attempt to block the right cross, he was already out from the blow to the heart. Notice how the announcer screws up by calling it a left and then a right~~~ :lol: :lol: Wrong right to the upper chest~~heart followed by a crisp clean club to the face. If you're a seasoned fan notice Morrer's left leg buckle just prior to the right hand. :lol: :lol: Only a Pro would understand that blow to the heart. Vicious.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SONoA5L1g

RIP Greg! :cry:

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby greeney2 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:57 am

Cole I know you know a lot about boxing. Are there any statistics about injuries being reduced when they went to 12 rounds instead of 15? I'm sure Greg Page was in the 15 round era also, but the injury was in a 2001 fight. This was probably a result of a single blow, but the accumulative career damage is what i'm talking about.

Few people would volunteer to be hit one time by a Forman punch. I'm surprized people like George or a Tyson Punch never did the same thing to anyone. Moorer never made any kind of foritable come back after George either.
greeney2

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:37 am

greeney2 wrote:Cole I know you know a lot about boxing. Are there any statistics about injuries being reduced when they went to 12 rounds instead of 15? I'm sure Greg Page was in the 15 round era also, but the injury was in a 2001 fight. This was probably a result of a single blow, but the accumulative career damage is what i'm talking about.

Few people would volunteer to be hit one time by a Forman punch. I'm surprized people like George or a Tyson Punch never did the same thing to anyone. Moorer never made any kind of foritable come back after George either.

TV doesn't do boxing justice, never has and never will, not even HD. Many untold stories of Boxing's bad side will always remain buried to protect the Gate at the Main event events.

One fight was responsible for making Championship fights 12 rders instead of 15 ABOVE ALL OTHERS. The Ray " BOOM BOOM " Mancini vs D k Kim~~a brutal war that by all rights should have been stopped. I remember that like it was yesterday. A sad day unfolded on network TV disguised as a classic fight, only Kim died of injuries sustained in the fight. It effectively ended two careers, Mancini was a shell of his former self after that fight. This fight went far to spur on Pay Per View events complete with disclaimers for those buying the feed. Legal loop holes for money. I've many on tape.

One of the three factions wba, wbc, other idiots, kept 15 rders but it only lasted a few more fights before they caved to the Doctors who had run certain tests on ex boxers. It helped Leonard when he used the ploy against Hagler. 12 instead of 15. 12 is plenty to test any fighter, 10 always provided a sense of urgency but was too tough a sell to the public for main events.

Don't forget about Ali and all the 15 ers he did, going the distance in many against younger fighters when he was in his thirties. His condition also was all the stats most close to boxing needed to change the number of rounds for each fight.

I'm sure Rocky M did his share of brain damage as did Jake LaMotta. I've seen screw drivers used to pry open mouths after broken jaws to keep the fighter from suffocating on their own blood. That never gets shown on TV. That happened in one of Jerry Cooney's early fight as a young Pro. He had a guy on the ropes and hit him flush with that left hook breaking his jaw. The follow up broke the nose and shut off most of the air.

Yeah lots of history on boxing injuries. Speaking of Cooney, Norton was lucky all that got broken was his jaw.
watch the second close his air off by pinching off the nose so he's forced to open his mouth so he can remove the mouthpiece after he's knocked unconscious. The camera cuts away just as it happens.

The left hook dug to the body that lifted Norton off the canvas was the punch yet even Cooney thinks it was the right hand. His right hand was weak, his left hook lethal. Hell you can hear it. Realistically it's the third punch of the fight from Cooney at the .23 mark. Like I said you can hear it and Norton is all but done from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fb0Qidm9Fg

Cole

Can you believe that Foreman did the exact same thing to Cooney. Another shot to the chest and Coony folds like a cheap lawn chair. 2nd round. Cooney was shown the door after this beating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2XlGWhY_5I

Yeah I'd pass on anything from George, even the jab! :lol:
Cole_Trickle

Postby greeney2 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:56 am

I'm sure you are right about the ring. TV only gets the money selling events. I'm sure the bouts that are way down the line and local events, are full of mismatched slauders that never get any publicity and the bad results are unknown to the public. Of all the big names who have major brain injury, dementia, and other problems, imagine how many unknowns ended up. They never even had a dime to get the medical care they needed.
greeney2

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:15 am

Typical career of a decent pro.
http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/seals-s.htm

Lots of fights per year = lots of damage`!

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby greeney2 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:25 am

Unfortunatly Ricky Hatton win loss record sunk in a 2nd round KO that flattned him out cold for several minutes to Mannt the pacman. This is the kind of trend they should look at very close as time to retire. Rickt is a great boxer but lost twice to the top 2, so why would anyone continue? Only reason is the risk vs. sellable fights for the money, not for the quest of the undefeated title. Time to hang it up, be smart like Oscar and stay out of the ring.

Floyd Maywether is not talking about coming out of retirement, although he retired still with all his ability. Not the same as someone who has proven their prime is over, like Oscar.
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Sun May 03, 2009 11:31 am

I feel sorry for Ricky :cry: . He’s a good fighter but he hasn’t been the same since the fight against `pretty boy` Floyd (what sort of name is than anyway :roll: :lol: ).

He was cheated out of that fight with the ref and the judges all coming from Nevada. :cry:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby greeney2 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:34 am

He was knocked out cold last night, and Maywether also knocked him out. I love Riccky and rooted for him both times, but he lost fair and square.
greeney2

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts