The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Things you never see anymore

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm

I was driving home yesterday and saw a place that was always the same business as long as I have been in my area. Phoned a friend to tell him about it, because we used to make deliveries to them every week, when we grew up working as delivery boys for his Fathers store. Half the place was demolished and the other half converted to some sort of nursing school, but it got me thinking about all the things we never see anymore. We get used to things that "always were", like this place was back to when we were kids in high school.

I was thinking about all the stores that do not exist anymore like Montgomery Wards and Woolworths. The old Bob's drive ins, or Dad's ol Fashioned Root Beer stands. Anyone remember when you did go out to a Hamburger stand? We use to drive out to one on the Niagara River, and it was an old fashioned Hamburger stand. A square hut, with plywood swing open doors( swing up), and it was a open air basic hamburger stand. On the west coast we had one like that on Pacific Coast Highway at Leo Carrillo state Beach. Red brick streets may still be common in parts of the country, but if you are in California, you may have never seen one. Riding on them is noisy, and something special, when you have never done that before. Also what used to be common was burning papers in the back yard in a 50 gallon drum. That was a real treat visiting my Grandparents, who got to burn the trash. In California, when we moved here is 1960, back yards all had incinerators, which were outlawed because of smog. They were square concrete sides with a cast iron hinged lid to burn your papers in.

We saw a pair of TV shows on cable, that were narrated by Ralph Story, a popular person in Los Angeles in the 60's and 70's. He profiled many of the "things you never see anymore" parts of Los Angeles, and it was really great to watch. I'm sure we all have these things in our areas, and if you are old enough(Like me), not only do you miss them, but many represent art forms that are lost. Old structures that could never be reproduced. The way things used to be designed or built, is no longer possible. Ways of life evolve, like the old fashioned hamburger stands have gone the way of the Dodo bird. Nowadays, the idea of a simple $500 hut, would never make it past city planners, and unless you have $1M plus to build a McDonalds or Jack n box, it will never happen again.
greeney2

Postby bionic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:16 pm

aw..Woolworths..did you ever see a Ben Franklins? similar

We use to burn paper sin our campfire out back , when we lived down there. We still lived in an unincorperated part of Riverside country, at the time.
One night a fire engine pulled up to the house..with firefighters, in full gear. Our neighbors (renters!!) called and complained about us. It's an amusing memory for me. :)
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby greeney2 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Don't think I ever herd of them Bionic. I few big names could see the end this year. JC Pennys is on their last legs, as is Sears. Would you believe we found and still have a oak sideboard piece that appears in the 1906 sears catalog. Radio shack is closing about 500 of its locations.

Nothing lasts forever, but it is sad when things go. From my point of view, many of our art forms have gone with many of them. With current budgets, preserving out historic sites will be harder and harder.
greeney2

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts