The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Space Discussions and Theories

Supermassive theory vanishes into its own black hole

From Mercury to Pluto and beyond. . .

Postby rath » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Black holes: a galactic vacuum cleaner.

A PAIR of Melbourne astronomers have overturned a decade-old theory on how supermassive black holes grow and, in the process, identified the location of a missing population of medium-sized black holes.

For years astronomers thought supermassive black holes, which are found at the centre of galaxies, grew by consuming gas clouds at a constant rate relative to the growth of nearby stars.

Black holes are celestial objects with a gravitational field so strong that virtually nothing can escape them.

Astronomer Alister Graham said the gigantic dense bodies, with masses many millions of times that of our sun, were believed to comprise a small fraction - 0.2 per cent - of the surrounding galaxy's total mass.

''We thought if we knew how big the galaxy was, then we knew how big the black hole would be,'' said Professor Graham, from the Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing at Swinburne University of Technology.

''But everybody had those relationships wrong.''
rath

Postby Blueant » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:36 pm

I wonder if a Black Hole would eventually crush itself out of existence?
At least existence in 'our' dimension...

I think I read an article where Neutrinos were detected entering our dimension from sources like the Sun. Vast underground Tanks of water used as detection instruments. A decay of a proton, I think was looked for to detect the presence of a Neutrino. I guess the 'speed of light' is the stall speed of a Neutrino ,but they normally are faster, hence not in our dimension..

So if Neutrinos can 'enter' our dimension, (at least temporarily) isn't it conceivable, things can leave?
Leave as in, they go beyond the laws of physics our dimension works at?

Like a Black Hole I was mentioning earlier, that grows and grows, wouldn't it rip a hole in the fabric of space/time? and exit?........Just tossing mental confetti around.
Blueant

Return to Space Discussions and Theories

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts