The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Terrific actor, and just a well liked person. Everyone loved him I think.

Oscar-winning actor Borgnine dead at 95: manager
By Leila Macor | AFP – 1 hr 25 mins agoEmailShare0PrintRelated ContentVeteran actor Ernest Borgnine, …

Tova Borgnine and actor Ernest …
Veteran actor Ernest Borgnine, the star of dozens of films and television shows who won an Oscar for his portrayal of a shy butcher in love in "Marty," died Sunday, his manager said. He was 95.

"It's a very sad day. The industry has lost someone great, the caliber of which we will never see again. A true icon," the manager, Lynda Bensky, said in an email to AFP.

"But more importantly the world has lost a sage and loving man who taught us all how to 'grow young'. His infectious smile and chuckle made the world a happier place."

Bensky said the actor died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, with his family at his side.

Born to Italian immigrants on January 24, 1917 in Hamden, Connecticut, Borgnine was primarily known for his roles in comedies such as the popular TV series "McHale's Navy" and dramas like the World War II film "The Dirty Dozen."

The US Navy veteran won an Academy Award for best actor for his role in the 1955 film "Marty," which also took home Oscars for best picture, best director and best screenplay.

Borgnine -- who began his career as a stage actor and first shot to prominence in Hollywoodwhen he played Sergeant "Fatso" Judson in "From Here to Eternity" -- was also known for his role on the television series "Airwolf."

He also appeared on the celbrity game show "The Hollywood Squares".

Borgnine continued to work into his 90s, voicing the character Mermaid Man on the animated children's series "SpongeBob SquarePants".

In 2009, he appeared in a guest starring role on long-running TV drama "ER" for which he earned an Emmy nomination.

The year before, he was nominated for a Golden Globe for his work in the made-for-TV movie "A Grandpa for Christmas".

The Screen Actors Guild gave him a Lifetime Achievement Award last year.

The gap-toothed actor wed five times, including once to Broadway megastar Ethel Merman -- a marriage that lasted only a month. He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Tova. Borgnine had four children.

In an interview with AFP in 2007, Borgnine emphasized the importance of being a team player as an actor.

"When you're part of an ensemble like I was in 'From Here To Eternity' and 'The Poseidon Adventure' you realize you stick out badly if you try to steal a scene instead of being a part of a team," he said.

"Acting to me is very simple. You just need to use your heart and your head together."

Borgnine said at the time that he would advise aspiring actors to "get a real job before you try to get an acting job."

"Learn about life and then learn your craft. And don't wear dark glasses on screen because you think you're cool. The eyes are an actor's best asset," Borgnine said.
greeney2

Postby qmark » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:56 pm

He was one of my favorites. If you look him up on IMDB, he worked steadily from 1951 to 2012. Amazing!!!!
qmark

Postby event_horizon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 pm

I can still remember that time he drove me around New York City in his taxi cab.

Didn't think he'd make it this long.

Goodbye old friend.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts