The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

Share Some Life Changing Decisions

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:16 am

I have been giving some thought to going to school and getting training for a career. After the layoff from my previous job and being unable to find another job to support my family without forcing my wife to work too, I decided I need to better myself. I can't do it with my present level of education. I may end up going from one unskilled labor job to another all my life because I don't have something to offer employers.

I am presently unhappy with my job and the working at night is slowly wearing me down. Nothing is going to fall into my lap and no one is going to help me if I don't help myself. There is a series of affordable courses of study at a local college for CNC (computer-numerical-controlled) machinist. I've had several jobs where I worked with the manufacturing departments of companies where I was exposed to such work. It's amazing how these machines can take a chunk of metal and turn it into a useful part for many different industries. The courses are quite affordable and can train me in a job that as one's experience grows can garnish a favorable salary. And as I continue to job search I see ads in the paper every week for machinist. They are great demand around here and always have been.

If I do, however decide to start these courses (and can get financial aid) in September, I still need to secure a day job as all they offer these courses in is the evening. But I am searching for a day job anyway as these nights are killing me, seperating me from my family and doing nothing but encourage my drinking issues.

I feel overwhelmed at this idea, and a bit scared. I don't have much faith in myself and feel uneasy about the financial burdens of this schooling. It would probably be close to a year for me to take all the classes needed to become a programmer for CNC lathes. But it would actually give me a skill that employers seek and a reason to hire me and continue to employ me.

I haven't held as many jobs as most people. Since I was 17 I've had 6 jobs including my present one. I've never had the intention of not making each job (except one, which was a means to an end) a permanent one. But I guess a good job ethic isn't what guarantees one a job. I need something more and I know how to get it, I just have to get the courage to do it. For my boys and for my wife.
"That's the problem with drinking ... If something bad happens you drink in attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen." -- Charles Bukowski
adamwarlock2099

Postby greeney2 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 am

Adam, most people go through one or mroe career changes in a lifetime, and its not an easy decision. Hopefully it is something you really have a passion for, and not just a move for the money. Right now the job market is pretty bleek, so I do not envy the decision. In my company when I worked, all the Union people had labor grades 1-19. Most things over 16 were considered "skilled trades", and they included NC machinists, precision jobs in tooling, metrology, welding (me), and many other thing required certifications. Once you are in these companies, you can bid on open jobs and move up.

Before you make this school decision, you may take a day or 2 and go to places who hire NC machinist, tell them your plans and have them give some insight to who they hire, minimum requirments, etc. Even when you have the school training, most places will require experience. You may have to spend some time jobshopping, before a major company job. Many companies when you are employed, will pay for education, which was a really good part about my company. Lots of people continued for Masters degrees, and the company paid for it. I spent a year or two, taking a robotics course and shifted into the robotic welding department, which was a new frontier in the company. Best thing I ever did for my job security, but it was also something I had a passion for, hopefully you will have that same enthusiasm for what you decide on.

Its a very tough world for all you younger people right now. Millions right now have their lives upsidedown and making these carrer moves and changes. Which direction to take is a very hard decision, if its twards a degree, what field should it be? If its twards a trade, there are many things to consider as well. One thing I know for sure, and that is almost every profession and job, is now affected by the computer world. Even in my field of welding, like machining, was a big shift to goto automation, or programable processes. Your generation was raised with computers, and computer logic, even with all the video games, its second nature to your generation. Don't forget all these things also need to be fixed, so not only is a NC operator/programer a carreer, so is the repairing of these things.

Check out the school, and how highly regarded the school program is to local machines shops and factories. In my area, our local jr. college has had the industrial arts programs severly cut back, which is a real shame. Many trade schools are a big consideration knowing the obligation for student loans will be something to deal with later.
greeney2

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:54 am

In October of 2002, I had a well-paying job lecturing at a four-year university. I resigned mid-semester because I felt the urge to walk the earth and solve people's problems. That didn't work out too well financially and I ended up homeless in 2003. So...that was a life-changing decision for you. :D
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:00 am

Thanks for your thoughts greeny I do indeed have a lot to think about and explore if I am going to take these steps to what I hope will be a better future for my family and I.

at1, that's scary man. How did you just abandon every thing even if it was for a good cause? Glad to see you made it back on your feet.
"That's the problem with drinking ... If something bad happens you drink in attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen." -- Charles Bukowski
adamwarlock2099

Postby bionic » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Adam..
I am back in beauty school..regetting my license..honestly..I do not know where my marraige is heading, so I gottta do what I gotta do..that is my philosophy..you gotta do what you gotta do..I say get retrained in something you enjoy enough and you KNOW is hiring..you could even do beauty school..men actually do better in the field than women, to be honest..everyone loves a male stylist..I hear nurses..male nurses are on the rise, too...
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:30 am

I do like helping women feel pretty.
adamwarlock2099

Postby at1with0 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:33 pm

adamwarlock2099 wrote:at1, that's scary man. How did you just abandon every thing even if it was for a good cause? Glad to see you made it back on your feet.

I'm doing pretty well for a formerly homeless person.. Got food, booze, shelter, and smokes. What else could I possibly ask for?

I was definitely going through some stuff then.
at1with0

Postby bionic » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 pm

It was your "desert walk", maybe?
Sometimes, you have to lose yourself, to find yourself.
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 pm

This is merely a discovery of the fifth force (aka LAW(L))

which has the ability to change equations (and other relations).

Equations are akin to mass.

5force is akin to any force which can repel (a la a 4-force)other equations (which are masses).

Equations : Mass
Manipulating Equations: Gravity (ergo anti-gravity is probable)

What's the least difficult subject to start with? I say
Time: Emit
Equations divided by Time (and in time): Velocity (mass divided by time)

This is the omniscience code. If you solve it, you are omniscient.
at1with0

Postby bionic » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:17 am

says you
:P
Willie Wonka quotes..
Why? Are you having fun?
bionic

Next

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts