The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

RIP Christopher Hitchens

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby humphreys » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:56 am

"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby event_horizon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:36 pm

Gone but will never be forgotten. He left the world some great material to build on for future generations. His book, 'God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything', should be read by everyone -- it is truly a great read. It would probably convert 50% of religious people to a theist, agnostic, or even atheist. The problem is 99% of them won't bother to pick one up.

The guy had some really big kahonas to tackle the Abrahamic religions, knowing that he could get killed by a towelhead.

After more than 10 views on this, I'm shocked that no one has made a comment about him "burning in hell" yet. :shock:
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby gudskepteacal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 pm

I think that would be an absolutely awful thing to say about another human being, event. Of course, I did not know of Mr. Hitchens or his work, but I think anyone who would even harbor such thoughts are incredibly presuming and confused about the nature of salvation through Jesus Christ. Even modern day monsters(reference Mr. Sandusky of Penn St.) deserve to be finally judged by God, the Father, and not by us mere mortals.
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby humphreys » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:41 am

event_horizon wrote:After more than 10 views on this, I'm shocked that no one has made a comment about him "burning in hell" yet. :shock:

Most Christians don't come out and say that, but I bet many are thinking it. That's what the Bible says, right?

I see a lot of Christians say things more like "You'll find out there's a God soon enough" which seems like a harmless comment about atheists one day finding out the real truth, but what it really means is "You're wrong, and my God is going to punish you for it severely, and when he does, I'll be watching on with the smug satisfaction that you're getting what you deserve for being a foul unbeliever."

I can't get over the Christian belief that people like Hitchens "deserve" severe punishment. It's crazy.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby greeney2 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Making it up as you go, it sounds like! Nobody has said a word, probably because nobody has any idea who he is, or herd of his books. Maybe its a lot more your imagination anyone would be waiting to say nasty things, so far has only been you folks, thinking anyone would in this thread. Most Christian people are totally unaware of famous or notable athesits, and you folks probably told many for the first time who some were. I have no idea who this person was, nor all the notables you have talked about.
greeney2

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:40 pm

greeney2 wrote:Making it up as you go, it sounds like! Nobody has said a word, probably because nobody has any idea who he is, or herd of his books. Maybe its a lot more your imagination anyone would be waiting to say nasty things, so far has only been you folks, thinking anyone would in this thread. Most Christian people are totally unaware of famous or notable athesits, and you folks probably told many for the first time who some were. I have no idea who this person was, nor all the notables you have talked about.

Ditto Greeny2...Ditto.

Been thinking along the same lines. Well said olde man ..Well said!!

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby humphreys » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:53 pm

How can you not know who Hitchens is?

He's famous for far more than being an atheist, you know.

I saw him lecture live in Las Vegas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

I'm not surprised about orangetom, he lives in a cave or something, but I'd have expected you to have seen him on US news discussing the war on terror etc Greeney.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby event_horizon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Most of you don't know him because you have your heads buried in the grounds around churches.

Popular to you or not -- just the fact that you know he's a dead atheist would have you believing he's in "Hell." If you say no then you don't believe in your Bible. It's amazing how some of you like to play innocent.

It's being said all over the Internet. Just look at the comments being made at any article about his death where you're allowed to post comments. It's despicable.

True, some of you are nice about it, like gudskepteacal, but some are also quite appalling.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby event_horizon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:26 pm

humphreys wrote:
event_horizon wrote:After more than 10 views on this, I'm shocked that no one has made a comment about him "burning in hell" yet. :shock:

I see a lot of Christians say things more like "You'll find out there's a God soon enough" which seems like a harmless comment about atheists one day finding out the real truth, but what it really means is "You're wrong, and my God is going to punish you for it severely, and when he does, I'll be watching on with the smug satisfaction that you're getting what you deserve for being a foul unbeliever."

Yeah, Mr. Bible Thumper (not saying his name; we know who he is) told me something to that effect in another thread. He's definitely one of those Christians that get off on the thought of the demise of others that aren't Christian. Some of them behave just like the sadistic "God" of the Bible they worship.

It's really funny sometimes because they make me think I'm living in the Middle Ages or something. It's like arguing with a Crusader. :lol:
event_horizon

Postby orangetom1999 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:09 pm

LOL LOL LOL...

a public school education..majoring in emotions and the blame game.

"I'm a victim...I'm a victim!!!"

Holding others accountable in your rage, fears, frustrations, and insecurities.

This is extremely pitiful...very much like those folks up in .....occupy wall street. A boogy man around every corner.

Create one if you have to ..and be sure to use the time warp technique and think no one will notice.

Make a martyr out of yourself and this Hutchinson fellow while you are at it.

You two act and conduct yourself like the Haji's...in their Jihad and martyrdom ...while blaming everyone else for their fears and insecurities.

They too like to blame Christians and Jews for their every misfortune as well.

Are you two connected somewhere back in the time warp??

Or perhaps you two are related to Rodney Dangerfield.

Orangetom
orangetom1999

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts