The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

Clash of the Titans

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby Dark-Samus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:44 am

Here is my review on the movie which I saw 2 days ago:

May contain some Spoilers!

Plot 6/10

The plot itself isn't very interesting or you barely care about it.
Although it contains the important parts of the Path of Perseus, that Hades is his primary antagonist, the confrontation with Medusa and the horse that flies etc etc.
Also the rivalry and hatred Hades has on Zeus.
But as a whole it isn't anything you even remember in the end unless you have a computer memory like I do...

Characters 7/10

Sam Worthington did an okay job although as the plot or movie itself, nothing unique or interesting to follow.
Liam Neeson did a good job in my opinion as Zeus and some other minor characters were fine aswell.
I thought the one playinh Hades could have been more Godlike and not such a homeless kind of attitude...

Music 4/10

Another Dark Knight like music and I'm getting sick and tired of these types of music that doesnt even fit into such movies as these.
You can't have Batman like music when it is about Greek Mythology for crying out loud!
Have ancient Greek like music!

Good and Bad 5/10

The Good: Some action Scenes especially the Medusa part is entertaining and the Council of Olympia was nice to see.
A few good comedy scenes.

The Bad: I thought the worst thing about the movie was that they somehow rushed most action scenes just to get it done.
You have a big majestic opening for the Kraken only to be killed off in barely 2 minutes.
That was the biggest dissapointment in the movie and what seriously killed it for me.

Hades uses all his powers to kill many soldiers and so on but he turns into a few lil flying "demons" to stop the real threat he has?
Common that's just stupid.
And the fact that they don't even give Poseidon more depth as he is the third of the big Gods of Ancient Greece was bad to me and the other Gods didn't even matter one bit.

Movie 5/10

A movie I regret paying about 21 dollars which isn't worth it at all and it is as big disapointment as Terminator Salvation was.
I wonder if Sam even reads the scripts carefully.
I think he is a fine actor but these movies except for Avatar of course makes him look bad...
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby Wing-Zero » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:29 pm

... Have you read the story of Perseus?

Hades HELPS Perseus fight Medusa by giving him his Helmet of Invisibility. Hades NEVER had a desire to rule Olympus. Hades being an evil villain is pure Hollywood bunk. There is NO mention of Hermes or Athena in this remake, and Athena is instead replaced by some random chick who has the same name as one of the women Zeus supposedly bedded. Not only that, but Perseus ends up with the random chick instead of Andromeda!

The movie is crap. The only thing that was cool about it was the Greek Pantheon, Liam Neeson, and how they did Medusa.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:31 am

Well I agree with all except that there is barely anything about Hades in the real myths.
Although I don't know where I read it many years ago that Hades was maybe not the Nemesis of Perseus but still an antagonist.

But without a doubt, one of the worst movies this year...
Dark-Samus

Postby Wing-Zero » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:43 am

In all major writings Hades was just uninterested in mortal affairs, if anything. He really didn't give a damn what we were up to. He was a problem for Perseus because he refused at first to lend help, but there was never a single historical Greek story told where Hades was evil and unjust.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:05 am

I guess people compare him too much with Satan or Osiris then ;)
Dark-Samus

Postby greeney2 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:25 pm

The movie may be great to this generation, but its just another special affects by computer made images. Hard to match the old classics.
greeney2

Postby Dark-Samus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:44 am

Actually it pales to other movies from this generation.

Nothing of it felt groundbreaking or spectacular in any way.

If we take a movie like Jurassic Park, Clash of the Titans doesn't even come close to it in any way whatsoever...

Worst movie I've seen since X-Files 2... :(
Dark-Samus

Postby greeney2 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:01 am

What is sad is how many movies become just a computer generated form of enhancing, now are the majority of a movies content. Its like the next new video game, having more and more sophistocated graphics. Movies like Lord of the Rings were original, but now many copied the same computer graphics ideas,to create things like vast and endless armys of strange creatures? Elaborate worlds and structures, creatures and machines, transformers, etc.

What ever happened to acting?
greeney2

Postby shadowfx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Personally, this came into play when I saw the Spiderman movies, Superman Returns and the final Matrix movie. It's blatently obvious in those movies when it's not the actor and it's just cgi or whatever. It killed the Matrix fight scene against Agent Smith. It killed Superman flying. It killed Spiderman swinging through the city.
shadowfx

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:12 pm

Comic book movies are an exception.

Superman is supposed to fly at 99% the speed of light. You don't get that same sensation of 'Wow!' if you just see a guy tied to a string and moving around. With CGI, you can do many things that, while in a book or comic are easily accomplished, are impossible to do without. The bullet breaking against Superman's eye in Superman Returns, for example. Or the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, or the Terminators. While actors in costumes is all good and fun, the movements are slow and cumbersome. Certainly a testament to their time, but these days can be done much better. With CGI, if the art is done well, you can make all kinds of spectacular scenes that further enhance the movie experience.

That's not to say I, as a product of the current generation, don't love some old timey classics. I'll still watch the old King Kong, The Lost World, or the original Godzilla and enjoy myself thoroughly.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Next

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts