The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Ancient & Lost Civilizations

Mystery in Bellow Falls, Vermont

Here, you can discuss the Mayans, Atlantis, the Aztecs and other ancient and lost civilizations.

Postby nightwolf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm

By Mark Bushnell - Published: June 21, 2009

When the Reverand David McClure of Dartmouth College ventured down the Connecticut River to the area now known as Bellows Falls in 1789, he was on a scientific mission.

As a natural philosopher, what we might today call a scientist, McClure was interested in stone carvings that he had heard about from a local young man. The carvings, cut into an outcropping on the Vermont side of the river, depicted a series of faces.

"The figures have the appearance of great antiquity," McClure wrote, noting that the British colonists who settled the area a half-century earlier had observed them. The faces were life-sized images, consisting of a simple oval with markings for eyes, nose, mouth and perhaps ears, McClure wrote. Some had lines sticking out of their heads that observers would take to be feathers, horns or rays.

McClure's was apparently the first written account of the carved rocks, which have been described as the oldest pieces of art in Vermont. How old? The answer, like so many others about the carvings, is open to debate. Though experts agree that the carvings were made by American Indians, they are unwilling to ascribe a specific date, or even era, to the petroglyphs, literally "stone carvings." They could be anywhere from 300 to 3,000 years old.

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20090621/FEATURES07/906210329/1016/FEATURES07

This is from a Vermont newspaper.
nightwolf

Postby Bearserkar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01 am

I like this, I followed the link and saw the faces but what grabbed my attention was the painting of what seems to be Bison above the faces. To me the bison looks like Scottish/Asian Cattle with long red hair and the beard. I have seen pictures of the cave painting of the American Bison Buffalo. Earlier paintings have them as a square body with head tail and legs painted almost like a stick figure. Later depictions of the buffalo are as good as the paintings in vermont. But each painting shows the promonante Hump of the buffalo. the animal in vermont has good detail but does not seem to have a hump.

This leads me back to the scottish/asian cattle theory and faces of people with horns???
Hummmmmmm
Bearserkar

Postby shadowcass » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:36 am

"Horns" or "antennae?" The problem is that the pictures we see may or may not be accurate copies of what was there before the DAR.
shadowcass

Postby SmokinJoe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:28 am

The "faces of people w/ horns" reminded me of a post I had made on the old BV message boards about giant skeletons being found and reported on by the NY Times AND the Scientific American..They were 7ft tall and taller in some cases. The skulls of some had 2 bone protuberances on them just above their foreheads.

Here's the link to a copy of NY Times post from 1916:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 946796D6CF
Dawkins thinks belief in God is an excuse to evade thinking in the scientific world. Sadly, he is ignorant to the list of christian scientists who have contributed & founded many of the sciences he himself believes in. How ironic.
SmokinJoe

Postby mrmonsoon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:59 am

The link requires an account and login, i refuse.

that said, perhaps the horns/rays/antenna are just "stylized" images.

We do it all the time now a days....

Just saying...
mrmonsoon

Postby Bearserkar » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:00 am

Just a thought here, Now I have really thoguth about it I still believe the oxen are asian cattle. but here is a thought the faces I went to a renfaire a few weeks back and saw these men who were wearing these basic skull cap type helmets and when they removed their helmets their hair had feathered and stood up like horns. Maybe this is what the artist was drawing. Just a thought now just a thought.
Bearserkar

Return to Ancient & Lost Civilizations

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts