The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

District 9

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby cormac » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 pm

i thought there was a previous thread for this movie but i don't see it now

anyways, it opened and i was wondering if anyone's seen it and the opinions -- i'll prolly go this weekend to imax to see it :)
take care :)
cormac

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons"
-- T.S. Eliot
cormac

Postby Wing-Zero » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:14 am

I've heard nothing but excellent things.

Going to see it tomorrow.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:48 am

I might go watch it...seems interesting... :?
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

IF you have seen the trailers that I have, then I would start by saying that the trailers are very misleading. What was shown in the trailers were only a fraction of the movie and the bits that they did show, really don't explain anything about the movie. Which may have been what they were going for. But what I saw made it seem that it leaned more toward another cheap science fiction action flick. Which it wasn't.

Still, the movie was quite different. Don't want to say too much and spoil it, but it's not anything like I have seen, as far as science fiction combined with good filming techniques and good character development.

The only negatives to me were, when the action did come, the violence was gratuotous. Too much so to me. As if it was added to please the general audience that may have went to see it thinking it was what the trailers sold it to be. To me it seemed unecessairy, as did the language. But that may just be my opinion. But when a movie adds uneeded graphic violence and foul language just to push the movie to an R rating, it takes away from the movie, for me anyway.

But it was certainly a unique film, and for somone that doesn't go to the theater often, I felt that I got my 8 dollars worth. I would recommend it to anyone that digs science fiction that makes you use your brain, not just jerk off your eyes.
"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
"You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)
adamwarlock2099

Postby Wing-Zero » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:23 pm

The violence was the only extrodinary thing about the movie.

Well, that and the CGI/special effects.

The story was VERY average and seemed like a cross between The Fly and Independence Day.

They also did a TERRIBLE job at trying to garner sympathy for the aliens.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:24 am

Hmmm...doesn´t surprise me since most humans don´t even have sympathy for suffering illegal aliens :lol: :roll: :lol:
Dark-Samus

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:06 am

Dark-Samus wrote:Hmmm...doesn´t surprise me since most humans don´t even have sympathy for suffering illegal aliens :lol: :roll: :lol:

Right, because 1.5 million useless critters deserve all the sympathy I can muster. :roll:

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:06 pm

My point is, there is no chance in hell that humans can feel sympathy for other Aliens or animals if we can´t even feel sympathy for our sisters and brothers :roll:
Dark-Samus

Postby mrshumphreys » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:03 am

I thought the aliens were quite sympathetic. :?
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 am

Wing-Zero wrote:The violence was the only extrodinary thing about the movie.

Well, that and the CGI/special effects.

The story was VERY average and seemed like a cross between The Fly and Independence Day.

They also did a TERRIBLE job at trying to garner sympathy for the aliens.

Were we suppose to feel sorry for the aliens? I mean just like humans the aliens were engaging in illegal activities too. Sure just like humans treat each other we shuffled them in a corner and tried to forget about them, throwing at them just enough to say we were being humane. Both parties were responsible for the condition that the aliens were in. The involvement of the government in exploiting them to use their weapons for their own benefit isn't any different then what we have done to our own people. It seems the story is just using the aliens to tell a moral about how we use each other for our own selfish benefits. I don't think it was any more than that.
"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
"You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)
adamwarlock2099

Next

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts