The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Islam, anyone?

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby vulcan6gun » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:02 pm

This one's for you ladies...

French pool bars Muslim woman for 'burquini' suit

Published - Aug 12 2009 05:11PM EDT

By MARIA DANILOVA - Associated Press Writer

FILE - In this Feb.15, 2007 file photo, Sama Wareh walks along the sand dressed in swimwear designed for Muslim women Newport Beach, Calif. A French Muslim was denied last Aug.1, 2009 entry to a swimming pool for wearing an Islamic-style full-body swimsuit. Officials say the head-to-toe ''burquini'' is unhygienic and harmful to other bathers, but the woman complains of religious discrimination. The incident adds to controversy over wearing explicitly religious symbols in public places in this secular country.

A Muslim woman garbed in a head-to-toe swimsuit _ dubbed a "burquini" _ may have opened a new chapter in France's tussle between religious practices and its stern secular code.

Officials insisted Wednesday they banned the woman's use of the Islam-friendly suit at a local pool because of France's pool hygiene standards _ not out of hostility to overtly Muslim garb.

Under the policy, swimmers are not allowed in pools with baggy clothing, including surfer-style shorts. Only figure-hugging suits are permitted.

Nonetheless the woman, a 35-year-old convert to Islam identified only as Carole, complained of religious discrimination after trying to go swimming in a "burquini," a full-body swimsuit, in the town of Emerainville, southeast of Paris.

She was quoted as telling the daily Le Parisien newspaper that she had bought the burquini after deciding "it would allow me the pleasure of bathing without showing too much of myself, as Islam recommends."

"For me this is nothing but segregation," she said.

The issue of religious attire is a hot topic in France, where head-to-toe burqas or other full-body coverings worn by some Muslim fundamentalists are in official disfavor.

France is home to western Europe's largest Muslim population, estimated at 5 million, and Islam is the nation's second religion after Roman Catholicism.

A 2004 law banning the wearing of Muslim head scarves at public schools sparked fierce debate. That legislation also banned Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses in public classrooms.

French lawmakers recently revived the issue of Muslim dress with a proposal that the burqa and other voluminous Muslim attire be banned.

(edited to remove a 'hiccup)
Attachments
burquini.jpg
burquini.jpg (18.81 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Vulcan6gun

"Would you like your scientific research grilled, or roasted?"--Unknown Japanese whaler
vulcan6gun

Postby shadowfx » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:26 am

Alot of people wear those (or something similar) as ways for sun protection.
shadowfx

Postby vulcan6gun » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 am

No doubt. Seems kind of restrictive to me, from a swimmer's point of view. To think that everything's well covered and the lady in the article still got kicked off the beach, well, that defines 'extreme' in my book.
Vulcan6gun

"Would you like your scientific research grilled, or roasted?"--Unknown Japanese whaler
vulcan6gun

Postby shadowfx » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:38 am

lol I know. "Sorry maam but you aren't showing enough cleavage and ass to remain here. Please go home and undress, then come back."
shadowfx

Postby Tairaa » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm

lol.

Swimsuits are typically tight fitting though..

But hygienic? I don't understand where that comes from.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:42 pm

They're French mate, they can't help it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Jaack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:38 pm

I have to agree with Lashmar. They're French.

They see islami's dress as degrading to a woman so who are we to argue with the French.
What?
Jaack

Postby Tairaa » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Who are we to argue with women who don't want to expose their bodies? :?
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Lashmar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Jaack wrote:I have to agree with Lashmar. They're French.

Jack! :D How are you my odd little friend? :D

They see islami's dress as degrading to a woman so who are we to argue with the French.

They should take it off. Although Muslim women do seem pretty rough for the most part, maybe that's why they cover them up. :lol:

Who are we to argue with women who don't want to expose their bodies?

Technically speaking I’m in a better position to tell them what to do that anyone else here. ;) :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Jaack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Lashmar wrote:
Jack! :D How are you my odd little friend? :D

I'm fine. Decided to drop in and see what you lefties are on about now.

Now I may be odd [to you] but little? I think not.

Hope all is well! My diminutive pal.
What?
Jaack

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts