The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Cybill Shepherd Blames the Mormons & Catholics for Prop 8

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Guest » Mon May 11, 2009 11:02 am

Tennessee-born beauty Cybill Shepherd definitely isn’t one to waste words -- and had she no qualms in speaking out about who she thought was to blame for the passing of Proposition 8 in California's last election, which led to gay and lesbian marriage rights being overturned.

"The Mormons and Catholics," she told Tarts at the recent L.A Gay & Lesbian Center’s "An Evening With Women" celebration in Beverly Hills. "Most of the money came from Utah, it’s very unfortunate."

However Shepherd does feel that President Obama is doing enough for the cause.

"I think he is working hard at it, I really do. I am just so encouraged by Iowa and Vermont. We have a tough road ahead in California, but we'll be hittin’ within a year," she added with confidence.

The 59-year-old’s passion to pursue the fight for Gay & Lesbian rights actually stemmed from Martin Luther King’s assassination in 1968.

"He was killed in my hometown of Memphis, three and a half miles from my high school and I’m a product of the segregated south and I got to see that hatred up close, live that hatred, colored only, whites only, and when he was killed I was stricken with guilt and shame," Shepherd added. "I felt as though I hadn't done enough to help the civil rights cause and as I gradually began to understand, what is the most recent excuse to deny people rights under the law? To treat them as less than human and once you get that kind of right thinking you realize how important it is to stand up for the gay and lesbian kids who are at greater risk because they don't have community support and sometimes their parents kick them out. Particularly in L.A we have more runaways then anywhere in the world."

So when it comes to Shepherd’s own faith, she’s developed quite the hybrid of religious convictions.

"I’m a Christian Pagan Buddhist Goddess worshiper, but I’m also a feminist. I think the ultimate glass ceiling is God, in another words, if we think God is a man, then we make man a God, and I studied and learned that there is a whole other history of the worshiping of the great mother," she explained. "I really think that probably God is a woman, that helped me to break through that celestial glass ceiling."

Postby Jaack » Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 pm

How gay.
What?
Jaack

Postby _Billy_ » Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Three cheers for the Catholics and Mormons.
"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez" Let the Good Times Roll
_Billy_

Postby greeney2 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 pm

The Mormon church was a backer of the prop, but to my knowledge the Catholic church was not. The ballot passed by 52% in state that is definatly a liberal and Democratic state. You can not blame Mormans or Catholics for that, if the state all by itself is a Democratic liberal state. The cross section of voters is both republican and Democrats, as well as a balance of Conservative and liberals. but we are known as a Democratic state. The ballot won by only 2% which means it was very close. It also means that many liberal and Democrats themselves did not want gay marriage and voted to define it between a man and woman. I'm also sure many conservatives were voting to allow it. We are not known to me a Morman state like Utah, so I doubt the Morman vote is powerful enopugh by itself to sway any election. The Catholics in this state, a vast majoriety are not registered to vote since so many are illegals. They live here, have no SS#, drivers licence, and do not register to vote.

To say the 52% that passed the ballot is anything but a good mixutre of the state is false. Of the 3 major cities, San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, all 3 are totally different in their cultures and make up. Another vast area is the San Joquin valley is agriculture. Imperial valley and lower desert is also agriculture, both full of non-voting unregistered illegals. Central California, Nothern California, and the Serria Nevada towns and cities are all as different in make up as the 3 big cities.

Bottom line is the population is so mixed in so many ways, blaming Mormans and Catholics is nonsence. The measure failed becasue the bulk of the state consider gay marriage repulsive and wrong.
greeney2

Postby screamzero » Mon May 11, 2009 11:51 pm

What does Cybil Shepard know about Mexican-American family value systems? All Mexicans are catholic!?!?! How so totally closed minded....like...gAg me with a speauoon...like.... they had no vote...like...new w-o-o-nder Bruce Willis knows she's a xxxxx.
screamzero

Postby mouseshadow » Tue May 12, 2009 7:17 am

I fell in love with Cybil in The Last Picture Show, I used to worship that goddess :D

Hey Ranger why not try some Fashion themes with Music

Burning Down the White House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A6ar44Ecec

Hot Woman!!!

http://capitolhillstyle.files.wordpress ... dress1.jpg

8-)
mouseshadow

Postby greeney2 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:52 am

Why isn;t the gay community screaming about Sybil Shepards nude and nearly nude modeling the way they have chastized Miss California?
greeney2

Postby Guest » Tue May 12, 2009 10:03 am

greeney2 wrote:Why isn;t the gay community screaming about Sybil Shepards nude and nearly nude modeling the way they have chastized Miss California?

Because John Sr. Ole Cybill gives the Gay Lobby lotsa $$$$$ to buy their favour and Carrie Prejean does not.....

BTW The Gay Crew should remember the LDS are NO PUSHOVERS and are well trained in Firearms Usage ! :lol:

Postby Tairaa » Tue May 12, 2009 1:35 pm

greeney2 wrote:Why isn;t the gay community screaming about Sybil Shepards nude and nearly nude modeling the way they have chastized Miss California?

There's the problem, the "gay community" is not the same as gays in general.

Bottom line is the population is so mixed in so many ways, blaming Mormans and Catholics is nonsence. The measure failed becasue the bulk of the state consider gay marriage repulsive and wrong.
\

Which should have nothing at all to do with it. If they don't want the word marriage to apply then simply remove the legal differentials between marriage and common law, then you have an actual logical case.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby pandasex » Tue May 12, 2009 1:37 pm

i do too what is your point??

To deny religious involvement in the anti-gay rights movement is monumentally wrong. That is exactly what it boils down to. Its not name calling its the truth.
BURNING MAN, burning man, BuRnInG mAn,
pandasex

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts