The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Evangelizing

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby frrostedman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Pretend for just a minute. Pretend that you discovered the cure for cancer. If that happened, would you (a) keep the information to yourself, or (b) make sure everyone possible knows about it. If you are a decent person, the obvious answer is b.

So apply that logic to the person who gets saved and wants to share the good news with everyone. The evangelizing believers are merely doing what their hearts direct them to do out of concern for everyone.

It vexes me that the unbelieving world has such a problem with believers talking about their beliefs, when the fact is, the believers are only doing what one would expect, if their beliefs are true. It should come completely natural for someone to share such important information with others. The believers who keep the secret to themselves are either frauds, or very cruel people who don't want anyone else to be saved. Again, just imagine someone being given the secret to cure cancer, and deciding not to tell anyone about it for whatever reason.

I'm not saying anything that isn't obvious but sometimes I get the idea that the unbelieving world doesn't think this through. They just assume that anyone who tries to tell them how to save their soul is just doing it because they want to feel superior, or because someone in their church told them to do it.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby greeney2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:00 am

Everyone who does not talk about the cure of cancer is not assumed to be keeping it quiet and too themselves. On the same token, just because someone is not screaming messages about God, why is the assumption they are non-believers?
More people are quiet about their belief, and live by example and not by preaching to those who do not choose to hear what they are saying? They just tune you out, and it does more to make them not hear you. Good example is the poster here that challenges everyone to say a certain prayer, IMHO chases more people away than to convinces.
greeney2

Postby qmark » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:16 pm

That may be greeney, but if it reaches just one then it was worth it. All the preaching in the world doesn't amount to a hill of beans unless God draws the person. All we can do is plant a seed, it's God that causes the growth.
qmark

Postby greeney2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 pm

Like Kenny Rodgers sings. "Know when to hold um, and know when to fold um". You say its worth it only one hears the message, but I say when 10 others who may not be ready to hear the message, they never will if your timing is wrong. IMHO an overzealous approach may sour and cause more harm than good, to never listen, than convince one. It is a delicate balance, which is why I feel just living by example is more fruitful. Like you say, God will draw the person, and that person will probably confide in a person showing by example.
greeney2

Postby qmark » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:07 pm

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

Example is good, but not enough. The message needs to be communicated as well. Faith comes from hearing. The written word is the same because when you read it you are hearing it within your head, mind, and heart.
qmark

Postby greeney2 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm pretty sure even you think about who you are about to try talking with first, if they are, or are not likely to be receptive to hearing. I think everyone knows when someone is just turned off with anyone giving them any kind of input. This is where a little wisdom goes a long way, to not further cause rejection from those who are just not ready to hear it. That is one reason I feel that when people see others living with Faith, they observe you and how you conduct your life, raise your kids, etc. and that may speak volumes to those who are little lost. I think sooner or later, they may seek counsel from you. They telegraph a little when they may be seeking some words that may help them. Just going everywhere in town, or work, and being the classic "Bible thumper", does more damage IMHO than enlighten. It does not work with most people, it turns people off. Not saying that is what you do, I think you understand what I'm saying.
greeney2

Postby Alalu » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:45 pm

I think it's ok to evangelize up to a point and I agree that some people are anti-religion to the point of being obnoxious. You never know who is receptive until you talk to them. And on a forum if someone doesn't like what you say, all they have to do is ignore you. I admit that I ignore kathingsak or whatever his name is.

To me it is unfortunate that people in modern times are not exposed to the events of the distant past. Thousands of years ago, people were receptive to profits because they were close to the events that made them profits. It wasn't actually so much of a belief system as it was a choice of which god or profit to follow. But people knew the gods were real.
Alalu

Postby Halfabo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:45 am

Those who are able to evangelize do. There are some who would like to but, are wise enough to know cannot.

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Each member of the Body of Christ has their own job to do. They are either placed in positions that fit their skills or God gives them the skills they need to fit the position they find themselves in. Those who do not evangelize are not trying to keep salvation to themselves. It is just that they have other jobs they are suited to. When the time comes, when the circumstances are are right, when they are talking to the right people to be effective, God will tell them to speak and they will speak. God gives the commands, we follow them. If we try to take it upon ourselves to do what we THINK God wants us to do, we usually foul it up and He has to repair the damage.
Halfabo

Postby greeney2 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:00 am

Well said Halfabo.
greeney2

Postby Alalu » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Nice. But I might caution that God may not be the only one out there communicating with Man. If some humans have the right genes they may have the ability to communicate with others. And I'm not convinced that all, or even most, humans can communicate with God. And even further, many who claim they have we're likely mistaken. God is a busy man.

Here is a thought. What if Adolf Hitler thought he was talking to God, but instead he was talking to a much lesser creature who told him to do things to sabotage Humanity? Of course Adolf Hitler couldn't tell people he was talking to God because they would think him crazy. Even crazier than we think he was.

I'll bet that if we set out across space to find our god it would turn a lot like Prometheus. They found the Igigi, who only wanted to wipe out Humanity. Sounds a lot like their children, the Arryans. Maybe that's why Hollywood painted them that way. See it all comes around full circle.
Alalu

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts