The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Loud "booms" over Western KY and area

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Kybasser » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:05 pm

greeny2,

Originally, I thought the strip mines were blasting. That is what it originally sounded like. In those cases, and we are about 5 miles from the mines, it is hard to tell if the sound is from the air or ground. However, the mines had ceased operation, and this was the source of my confusion. I also learned my father-in-law, about 2 miles away, could also hear them. Some occurred while on the phone with him, and we heard them at the same time. It wasn't until it was confirmed that the mines were not operational, and the meteorologists said there was nothing in the atmosphere that could explain the noises that I really began tracking when the sounds happened. One night, right before one of the sounds, there was a very loud noise, like a low altitude jet. That only happened that one time though. By the time I got outside, all I could see, and this was the one time there were no clouds, were three very high planes, that appeared commercial in nature based upon size and signal lights. But they could have been any kind of plane really.

It is not unusual for us to have small planes flying around, we have a small airport not far away. Also, we routinely have military helicopters flying around. That would include single rotor and dual rotor helicopters. But like I said, we are not that far from Fort Campbell, home of the 101st airborne unit. I have been fishing on KY lake before and seen planes practicing mid-air refueling. That is something to see in person. I will admit, I was in awe watching them line up, link, and fuel.

Danny
Kybasser

Postby greeney2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:31 pm

topic7765.html

This was the other post I was thinking about, in the Paranormal forum, called strange earth sounds.
Last edited by greeney2 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeney2

Postby Kybasser » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey Greeny2, Can you help me out? I read through the post you linked to, and I have a question. How are any planet sounds being recorded in space? Sound is a wave that travels through the air, water, or land, in nature, and man made stuff like windows, etc... With Space being a vacuum, I don't understand how sound waves would be traveling through the vacuum and being audible. But if these sounds are radio based, and maybe that is what was referred to, then I can grasp that, but that would likely not be the same things we hear here, as radio waves are inaudible, aren't they? Or is there a frequency of radio waves that can be heard by ear? Also, for some reason, I always thought radio waves were actually considered a part of the light wave spectrum, as they travel at the speed of light. Now I could be way wrong on a lot of that, that's why I ask for the help!!

Thanks greeny, I appreciate your helping me try to find the answers to this mystery.

Danny
Kybasser

Postby greeney2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:42 pm

greeney2

Postby SCSNN » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:33 pm

This type of phenomenon is very common during extreme cold weather. Geologists say the booms are likely a phenomenon commonly known as an ice quake or frost quake. It's caused by water that sinks into the soil and bedrock where it freezes and expands, causing an explosive popping or booming sound that feels like a mild earthquake. Tonight, we have received several reports from the Western KY and Missouri regions of loud booms that have been heard. It should also be noted that this phenomenon oftentimes occurs right before a major earthquake as well.
SCSNN

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:56 am

I think this theory may be valid in pole regions but can not see it in areas like Kentucky or middle america, because the ground only freezes near the surface. Most things underground are associated with warmth, like caverns in the dead of winter still maintain constant temperatures. This is a very valid theory for the above surface forming of places like Yosemite. I could be wrong.
greeney2

Postby Sobrett2012 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Im in west Ky. I have been hearing strange noises all the time. But i havent heard the recent booms. There was a report on the ews about it yesterday. They are blowing it off. Me, i sleep with one eye opened.
Sobrett2012

Previous

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts