The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

Video Games: What are you playing?

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:17 am

PC, console, doesn't matter. Me personally, I like RTS, RPG and space flight/economy sims. There are a few FPS titles I like but not many.

RTS:

Dawn of War, Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm
Starcraft II - (This just finished patching)
Command & Conquer series (Red Alert 95,C&C Gold95, RA2, Yuri's Revenge, Tiberian Sun, Firestorm, Generals, C&C3 and Kane's Wrath, C&C4)
Warcraft Series - Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition and Reign of Chaos
Homeworld 1 and 2
Emperor: Battle for Dune
Dawn of War II
Company of Heroes
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos
Universe at War - Has a serious zoom problem and like Empire at War, totally different from the C&C series these guys created. (formerly Westwood Studios)
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance - Buggy as hell, I hardly bother anymore because it freezes up so much.
Sins of a Solar Empire
Starcraft and Broodwar
Empire Earth
Star Wars: Empire at War - Seriously disappointed with the campaign and conquest modes. Otherwise a fun game.

RPG:

Diablo I and II + lod
Titan Quest
Neverwinter Nights 2
Icewind Dale
Baldur's Gate I and II
Planescape: Torment
Torchlight
The Witcher

FPS:

Helgate London
Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Crysis
Rogue Warrior
Halo
Turning Point
Battlefield 1942 + expansions + Eve of Destruction and Desert Combat Mods

Space/Sci-fi sims:

Freespace I and II
Imperium Galactica II
Galactic Civilizations II and xpac
EVE Online - spent four years on this. Somehow my dreams of forming a 20,000 man coalition and purging 0.0 never came to fruition. :cry:
X3: Gold - X3: Terran Conflict + X3: Reunion - Just got this after hearing it's a great substitute for EVE Online.

I think that's it. :lol: I've been playing Diablo II: lod lately and sneaking in a bit of Starcraft II and C&C4 here and there. I couldn't play them on my old XP PC.

Postby WarAngel » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:46 am

Facebook Games:
Mafia Wars
Angry Birds
Farmville

PC:
GTA 1

Kindle Fire:
Tetriblox
What if it were true?
WarAngel

Postby Wing-Zero » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:09 pm

PS3 - MW3, Battlefield 3, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and I'm doing another run-through of Metal Gear Solid 3 because... well, because I can.

Xbox - Assassin's Creed, Need For Speed, Ace Combat

PC - Little game called NexusTK, The Old Republic, Civilization V
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby at1with0 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:14 pm

At the moment?

....none....

I used to be a heavy warcrack (WoW) addict, then swtor...
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 am

At the present I have an open game of Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on the Wii, Bullet Witch, Dead Space 2, Lost Planet, Gears of War 2 (Hardcore difficulty) on xbox 360. And I am seriously ALWAYS playing Dark Sector on my 360. One of the greatest shooters EVER.

I am also playing a co-op of Resident Evil 5 on Professional difficulty with my wife. It is about the only game she likes enough to play.

As far as mobile games, I do like playing Bookworm and Cut the Rope on my wife's iPod.

One game I seriously want to get for my 360 when I can scrape up the funds is Fallout 3.

Rykuss ... is Mass Effect a true FPS? I thought it was more of a third person shooter. What is your thoughts on Crysis? I have heard good things about it, but I am a big fan of third person over FPS.
"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
"You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)
adamwarlock2099

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:45 am

adamwarlock2099 wrote:At the present I have an open game of Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on the Wii, Bullet Witch, Dead Space 2, Lost Planet, Gears of War 2 (Hardcore difficulty) on xbox 360. And I am seriously ALWAYS playing Dark Sector on my 360. One of the greatest shooters EVER.

I am also playing a co-op of Resident Evil 5 on Professional difficulty with my wife. It is about the only game she likes enough to play.

As far as mobile games, I do like playing Bookworm and Cut the Rope on my wife's iPod.

One game I seriously want to get for my 360 when I can scrape up the funds is Fallout 3.

Rykuss ... is Mass Effect a true FPS? I thought it was more of a third person shooter. What is your thoughts on Crysis? I have heard good things about it, but I am a big fan of third person over FPS.

Yeah I lumped it in with FPS but that isn't entirely fair now is it? As you can see, most of the titles I listed in that category are actually more of a hybrid. This is probably why I enjoy them. When I got ME2, I was disappointed in myself for skipping over the first title. Crysis was the reason I even considered purchasing ME2, I enjoyed most of that game and wanted a little more sci-fi. I like good story telling, single-player campaigns, something most devs fall flat on these days. Maybe it comes from the old days when the story was pretty much all you had. Back when graphics were just coming into being and nothing more than a picture.

I didn't pick up Crysis 2 because of the DRM, like several other titles. I've had bad experiences with the "malware" these devs have put in their games, hardware and software issues. To answer your question, no, Mass Effect 2 isn't a true FPS. It is indeed a third-person shooter and so much more. Great story with interactive choices and relationship building with crew. Awesome abilities mixed in with regular combat. A great sci-fi experience. Looking forward to Mass Effect 3 but I'm too poor to afford it at the moment. :lol:

Crysis is a true FPS but it tried and succeeded at doing something different. It has a great story, a single-player campaign that I enjoyed. The free-form environment was awesome. Approaching and completing the missions pretty much however I wanted. Where it fell flat for me was where pretty much all FPS games do, the online interaction. "Headshot" "Headshot!" Camp the spawn point, riddled with hackers and cheaters. It's just not a genre I enjoy overall. I do though, as I mentioned, enjoy good story telling and recognize devs when they do it. :thumbup:

Fallout 3, oh wow what an awesome game! I've played through and beaten it twice, had a third character going until my gaming rig crashed. I'll enjoy starting over. I might have explored a third of the map, some areas creeped me the hell out. :lol: I haven't even played New Vegas yet, i got it just before my crash and have yet to reinstall it or Fallout 3. Still getting things in order.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:09 pm

at1with0 wrote:At the moment?

....none....

I used to be a heavy warcrack (WoW) addict, then swtor...

I feel your pain, I really do. However, Warcrack isn't my drug of choice. I tried, I really did. I even joined a PVP Guild on Gorefiend, a group from the Diablo:Incgamers site.(then DiabloII.net) My son even had an account and we tried to play it and diablo together. It just wasn't my game despite my love for warcraft and all things RPG.

No, my drug of choice is EVE Online. Damn it all to hell, I reactivated my accounts yesterday. Tested my gaming rig today and so far all four clients run fine, I took precautions and run all four clients on minimal settings, three without sound. I installed the monitoring software that came with my new card and all four clients run at around the same temp as one client. They aren't hogging GPU either, I optimized for that as well. I'm hopeless, it seems. Although I vow not to take it as seriousoly as I did before. :shh: The biggest deterant from playing most games I own online is the lack of mature gamers/guilds.

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:49 am

Rykuss would you recommend starting from the first game of Mass Effect if I want to get the full story and character development? Those are just as important factors for me enjoy a game as much as the actual gameplay.

What's your thoughts on Halo games? Have you played many of them? I just played the original and 2 about 4 years ago when a friend gave me his original console and the two games. Since then I've played 3, Reach and ODST. I really enjoyed the first game, especially the Flood as a unbiased enemy. Reminded me a lot of ALIEN. But I felt like the sequels to Halo were more just graphical facelifts than additions to a world of characters that had promise.
"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
"You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)
adamwarlock2099

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:27 pm

I plan to pick up Mass Effect for the reason you stated, I want to go back and experience the story from the beginning. When I played Mass Effect 2, the story-telling is aimed at those who played the first title. A continuation for the fans. Luckily all the information is in the logs for you to read but I wished I had played the original first. Supposedly the choices made there impacted the second title, which in turn are supposed to impact Mass Effect 3. I like that aspect of a game and it should be awesome to see what the choices I made will bring.

Halo, I played the first title as my son got it and I figured why not. It was fun, a bit buggy and clunky but fun overall. I read up on the release of each new title but opted not to pick up any of them. I felt pretty much the same way about the other releases, in that the story seemed half-baked and just pandering to rabid FPS junkies. The original had potential though and I liked the alien-esque direction it was going. Kind of reminded me of Alien3 for the SNES. :thumbup:

Something I'd love to see would be a developer to take the Shadow Run, Blade Runner and Cyber Punk franchises and make an awesome, story-driven game. Unfortunately, noone wants to take the chance on anything other than CoD, WoW and Diablo clones anymore. Despite my many grievances with EVE Online, that's the reason I play it is because it's none of those things. If Infinity: The Quest for Earth ever launches, I'll be a happy gamer. :dance:

:drool:

Postby frrostedman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 am

I can't play the Halo series (other than the RTS they came out with on Xbox) because I am horribly color blind and the color scheme on Halo makes everything blend together on the screen and I stay confused the whole time.

My favorite game of all time is GTA IV. The driving physics are as real as it gets and there is something about a sandbox game like that... being able to do whatever you want. The missions are fun but I have immense respect for them by not forcing you to do anything you want to do. It's pretty awesome to just jump into an alternate reality that is so life-like, you can completely immerse. It's leaps and bounds superior to its closest rival, Saints Row, where, the driving is utterly and completely unrealistic... too much of an arcade feel.

My favorite FPS is Borderlands which is heavy on RPG elements as you have skill trees, experience/skill points, and there are literally millions of different weapon combinations. A close 2nd favorite is Left For Dead 1 & 2. However, when I sold my Xbox, I lost connection with friends that I could play co-op with and I hate to play with strangers (who normally have the attention span of a gnat) so I quit playing. Rainbow Six 1 & 2 definitely are worth mentioning and I still play them every so often.

My favorite action RPG is Diablo II LOD and soon to be Diablo III

My favorite RTS is the Command & Conquer 3 series. C&C 4 was HORRIBLE and it really pisses me off when someone takes a formula that is a huge success, and then change it. What a huge disappointment.

I've gotten too old to appreciate true RPG games anymore. They are so complicated that I can't do them anymore. I need a game that I can jump in and then jump out 30 minutes later. I have Fallout Vegas, The Witcher, and Elder Scrolls Skyrim, all collecting dust on my shelf with about an hour of play each.

My favorite strategy city-builder is Tropico 3 but after a few games of it, I pretty much lost interest.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Next

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts