The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

Government searching for new nuclear waste dump/weapon site.

Discuss the War on Terrorism, Homeland Security, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea and other global terrorist concerns.

Postby rath » Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 am

April 30, 2009

Australia's Rudd Government will stand by an election promise to scrap legislation that paved the way for a nuclear waste dump in the Northern Territory, Resources Minister Martin Ferguson says.

But the Government will not be giving up the search for a suitable site somewhere in Australia.

3D model 'animation'
Image Image

Model of Pangea underground dump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBSAlu0hjM&feature=player_embedded

Mr Ferguson refused to say when his Government will scrap the legislation, or when cabinet will receive recommendations from a scientific report into the most suitable site.

"When I see that scientific report, which is being peer-reviewed, then I will make recommendations to cabinet,'' he told reporters in Darwin.

"I am not going to make ad hoc decisions.''

The Howard government passed the Commonwealth Radioactive Waste Management Act in 2006, giving the Federal Government the power to impose a nuclear waste dump on the Northern Territory.

Labor promised to repeal it during the last federal election campaign.

Mr Ferguson said the government would come good on its commitment, but Labor would not be abandoning the search for a site.

"There has been a sense of immaturity from the Australian community and the political processes (about this),'' he said.

"If you want the benefit of nuclear medicine in Australia, and every family has benefited from it, you've also got to accept there is a hard decision about where we store the waste.''

The Coalition short-listed Harts Range, Fishers Ridge and Mount Everard as possible sites for a dump.

Muckaty Station, about 120km north of Tennant Creek, was later controversially nominated as a possible site by the Northern Land Council.
rath

Postby rath » Mon May 25, 2009 1:51 am

Praise after Australian nuke waste shipment arrives safely in US

23/05/2009.

A nuclear waste shipment that travelled through Wollongong in the darkness of a March morning has safely arrived in the United States.

The National Nuclear Security Administration in the US has confirmed the 14.5kg of highly enriched uranium (HEU) is now at the nuclear processing Savannah River Site, in South Carolina.

"The HEU spent fuel was transported by truck, rail, and ship under secure conditions with the co-operation of Australia and several international organisations," security administration principal deputy administrator Ken Baker said.

The transfer of the waste from the Lucas Heights nuclear reactor through Wollongong and out to sea via Port Kembla on March 16 prompted wide debate in the community after it was reported in the Mercury.

More than 400 police and RTA crew locked down Wollongong between 11.30pm and 2am as a convoy of eight trucks surrounded by police vehicles, under the spotlight of a helicopter, made the 56km journey to the port.

It was the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation's ninth shipment of used fuel since 1963, but the first to travel via Port Kembla.

Mr Baker said his government's Global Threat Reduction Initiative had successfully removed more than 100kg of US-origin fuel from Australia since 1998.

"The removal of this ... from Australia is another major milestone in (our) co-operative effort to reduce the threat of nuclear proliferation," he said.

There are now no spent fuel elements left at Lucas Heights and the next shipment will not need to leave Australian shores for five years or longer.
rath

Postby Tairaa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 am

Why, not put it back where you found it?

Go to an empty and abandoned uranium mine, it's already
A)Underground
and
B)Dug out

So all you have to do is perhaps set up some 6 inch concrete and lead walls, deposit your nuclear waste, and viola!

Instead of digging new holes or making entire facilities dedicated to holding on to the waste. Put it where it doesn't need to be monitored, and where it won't do any harm.

Seal off the doors when the place is full, pull the defence contractors out, no more need to guard, and install a security camera at the entrance so that if someone tries to blow through the sealed off entry point you know about it and can respond.

This way is much cheaper in initial investment, and you won't have to have people working their for a few billion years for the radioactive waste to wither away.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Wing-Zero » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:03 pm

... One security camera and a lock, Tairaa?

It's not a bloody Target, bro. It's nuclear waste. Stuff that could still techniqually be used in some way. Put some guys with guns out there, or better yet, build a facility that can actually keep it safe.

Oh wait...
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Tairaa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:08 pm

No no, not a lock. I was thinking the kind of thing where it's never supposed to be opened. And built as so the structure of the 'door' supports the difficulty of breaching.

A camera (or a dozen, they are fairly cheap compared to armed gaurds) so that if people with explosives show up with the intent on getting in, you are able to respond. How long would it take to get through 5 feet of steel or cast iron? I'm no engineer, but I bet you could make a "door" that was immovable.

Note I use the word "door" because I can't think of a more accurate word to use.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby Wing-Zero » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:20 am

Tairaa wrote:No no, not a lock. I was thinking the kind of thing where it's never supposed to be opened. And built as so the structure of the 'door' supports the difficulty of breaching.

A camera (or a dozen, they are fairly cheap compared to armed gaurds) so that if people with explosives show up with the intent on getting in, you are able to respond. How long would it take to get through 5 feet of steel or cast iron? I'm no engineer, but I bet you could make a "door" that was immovable.

Note I use the word "door" because I can't think of a more accurate word to use.

What, like the great gate to keep Kong at bay?

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Tairaa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:35 am

No..

Like a big concrete and steel blast door.
That times 5. And un-open-able.

Fill in the hole so to speak.
Tairaa

Postby jwebb » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 am

Israel.
Chemedoonam?
jwebb

Postby Wing-Zero » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Tairaa wrote:No..

Like a big concrete and steel blast door.
That times 5. And un-open-able.

Fill in the hole so to speak.

Build that stone fence a bit higher up and wrap some barb wire around it and you've got a zombie-proof house.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Tairaa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Hahahaha, put the inclined barbed wire on top too.

And make it electric. None of this pansy ass "scare the cow away from the fence" electric, like "Turn your heart to soup" electric.

Who needs that much security? Are the expecting to be resisting a devision of tanks?
Tairaa

Next

Return to The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts