The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Government and Political Conspiracies

How the NSA tracks you

Throughout time, there have been countless government and political conspiracies that have kept us wondering. This forum is dedicated to that very topic. Got a conspiracy theory of your own? Post it, and try to back it up as best you can!

Postby capricorn » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:04 pm

You guys and gals should read this article.

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/n ... t-now/634/

The line at the bottom is great:

“Back in the 70s and 80s when I was in the Communist Party, the real one, we NEVER talked on the phone about anything but the weather. It was assumed all phones were tapped.”

If you have an android phone, check this out

https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0/dashboard

When I saw that I couldn’t believe it. They have my exact location/track mapped historically going back years. Welcome to the New World Order.
"a free society depends on a virtuous and moral people."
capricorn

Postby gudskepteacal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:07 am

You're just full of good news, capricorn. Btw, great to see you again on theblackvault. Things sure have gotten bright around here; 1st thing I thought was the spotlight is on it now! The last time we visited this subject together I posted that, imo, the nsa does a lot less spying on average or regular American citizens than conspiracy nuts like me would think. Since then a massive data collection program has been revealed and now this cellphone tracking thing. Some would say that all of this means I was wrong in my previous post and the nsa is danged near watching our every move now. I still disagree that the nsa collects more information and does more tracking on mr. or miss average American than what is done by business in market research and advertising. It seems the forms are getting a lot longer and the questions increasingly more personal in order to open an account or conduct online financial business. It's almost scary how they can ask 2 or3 random questions, put all the information together and know to their satisfaction exactly who you are. Didn't that not too long ago take at least a day and 3 or 4 emails? I just don't think the nsa is going to waste their time spying on a regular anonymous citizen. A person who's active, loud, views are radical / smaller gov more individual freedom(I prob. fall into this cat.) and most importantly effective in swaying people's opinions, sure they are going to probably get some kind of attention. The nsa may collect and store more data, but imo the everyday workings of business and commerce, especially the further we go in the digital age, uses much more data and of an even more personal nature than the nsa ever has.
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby capricorn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:45 am

I'm just not sure the NSA even thinks in terms of "Mr and Mrs America". The massive amounts of data they collect is no doubt parsed, compiled and then aggregated into subsets that can be understood and analyzed. Most likely they have dashboards which can be reviewed in real-time or even possibly automated agents are forecasting trends and spitting out reports. The problem with wielding power like this is that those in control can act on any such trends they wish. Political gatherings could be targeted... Civil Rights movements could be interrupted... you could even forecast which businesses are growing and could pose a threat to larger corporations. This could be done by understanding all facets of a businesses production (growth in import/export traffic, employment growth, monetary flow, etc)
If Mr and Mrs America happen to fall into a trend that is being targeted, then the NSA would in fact be targeting Mr and Mrs America.
capricorn

Postby gudskepteacal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Well thanks for pointing out that, yet again, unsettling fact. :clap: Is there anything else that might need to be pointed out here, on this site, seen by millions, on a background that radiates like the very sun's surface? :lol: :P

I think your speaking about the manipulation and corruption that could and no doubt does exist(at least on some level) within the largest communications monitoring organization within the US and perhaps the world. With a network of satellites that monitor and collect data spread across the entire globe, they, the NSA, is the first line of defense protecting the USA against enemies that would attack and make war with us. Enemies that can and do posses certain amounts of capability themselves concerning supercomputing data processing. Imo, any where you look in everyday life there is corruption and manipulation; from the local to federal level...and why stop there - international organizations. The more money, power, control there is the more there is attempt to acquire it using furtive and nefarious methods.

All that being said, I agree wholeheartedly that every effort should be made to ensure the NSA complies with every rule and guideline issued by Congress in protection of American citizens against spying overreach. But, we simply cannot ask them to perform their job to the fullest potential if they are not allowed to collect every pertinent bit of information. And right there is the tradeoff; how much freedom are we willing to give up to be content that they are indeed performing their job to the fullest potential. With tech advancing like it is, the future is more of the same - google earth, google glasses, 3-D printing. With private business and people having that kind of innovation, what you suppose the govt. got in the oven; and that goes for other govts. large enough to invest in that kind of research? It's a global race to the planet destroying weapon aint it :crazy: :thumbdown: They already have the technology, they're just asking for permission to use it and, if you refuse that, you are in effect tying their hands and putting them at a disadvantage against the security agencies of other countries. Somebody has to be the biggest and the best; I'm just glad their on our side.

But, as ever, I could be :wall:
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." - James Madison
gudskepteacal

Postby capricorn » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:45 pm

All good points. But I don't think giving up freedom to buysome security is a good deal whatsoever. And the security being bought is suspect at best. The NSA is supposidly fighting terrorism but yet the Obama adminstration is funding Syrian Rebels who have pledged loyalty to al queda and massacred Christian villages. We fight terrorists with one hand and help them with the other.
The whole things seems to me as a great way to instill fear and dependence in people. Daddy govt is gonna look after you. Well guess what, daddy govt is a child abusing crack addict.
capricorn

Postby gudskepteacal » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Here Judge Andrew Napolitano shows how this has come about since the 9/11 attacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwTpJ1EoV6A

En-Lugal also has a thread about the recent Kansas airport terror attack that illustrates how the feds cause then take credit for stopping multiple terrorism events. I don't think there's a question that they use these episodes to whip up the masses and then take full credit for being the ones who save the day and keep us all safe.

The 4th Amendment states unreasonable searches and seizures and they still have to go through legal procedures to get a warrant to view the data. Some people have called it a rubber stamping, kangaroo court, but it's what we got. I think some very smart people are drafting the limits of govt. spying and the latest decision from a federal judge should be encouraging to freedom minded individuals.
gudskepteacal

Postby gudskepteacal » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 am

I need to clarify some things. First, I've gotten a little off topic with my last post: Judge Napolitano was talking about how the FBI conducts operations and capricorn made the thread about how the NSA tracks everybody through cellphones and mobile devices. Second, it's contrary to the American spirit of freedom to have their govt. spying on their every movement or managing their every action, but that hasn't stopped us from relenting to it in the past. Social Security cards/numbers were never supposed to be used to id anyone. We didn't like the satellites spying on everything so they gave us the drones and don't even try growing a garden at your house or digging a water well. At the same time people freely and happily post there every daily event and feelings via twitter or facebook for millions around the world to see; some don't even need a cellphone, they can tell from the unending posts exactly where they are at any given time. I know that is not everybody and understand why people don't want to be tracked. But check this out...

"Like dozens of other brick-and-mortar retailers, Nordstrom wanted to learn more about its customers — how many came through the doors, how many were repeat visitors — the kind of information that e-commerce sites like Amazon have in spades. So last fall the company started testing new technology that allowed it to track customers’ movements by following the Wi-Fi signals from their smartphones.

Enlarge This Image

Tina Fineberg for The New York Times

Shelley Kohan, a vice president for RetailNext, with her company’s customer-tracking system, which employs video cameras.

Readers’ Comments

Readers shared their thoughts on this article.
Read All Comments (410) »

But when Nordstrom posted a sign telling customers it was tracking them, shoppers were unnerved.

“We did hear some complaints,” said Tara Darrow, a spokeswoman for the store. Nordstrom ended the experiment in May, she said, in part because of the comments.

Nordstrom’s experiment is part of a movement by retailers to gather data about in-store shoppers’ behavior and moods, using video surveillance and signals from their cellphones and apps to learn information as varied as their sex, how many minutes they spend in the candy aisle and how long they look at merchandise before buying it. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/busin ... rDkjXkzuag

I realize it's not govt. tracking your every move, but 'in the micro' your movement is being tracked. I just think it's inevitable that somehow, someway this tracking thing will be a reality. Oh well, at least for now, you can always just turn off and unplug. Again some more encouraging news...

"U.S. intelligence officials continue to insist the programs are legal and necessary, and that there’s no better way to track terrorists than bulk collection of phone records.

But the NSA took two major hits this week. U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon, in a preliminary ruling in a court case challenging the phone records collection, slammed the agency’s efforts and suggested the program violates the U.S. Constitution’s Fourth Amendment.

Leon’s 68-page opinion amounted to a smack down of the NSA program. “I have little doubt that the author of our Constitution, James Madison, who cautioned us to beware ‘the abridgement of freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachments by those in power,’ would be aghast,” he wrote.

Two days later, the White House released a report from the Obama-appointed Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technology that questioned the need for the collection of bulk telephone records.

Offering no less than 46 recommendations on how to change U.S. government surveillance programs, the report said that the telephone metadata collection program was “not essential to preventing attacks and could readily have been obtained in a timely manner using conventional ... orders.”"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2082440/ ... eport.html

HURRAY for the Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technology and Judge Leon!!! :clap: :dance: :thumbup:
gudskepteacal

Return to Government and Political Conspiracies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts