The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Happy Australia day 2013. Yhaaaa

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby rath » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Happy Australia day everybody.

It is that time again .....

the time to celebrate every thing Australian, & to give thanks for being one of the lucky one.

To honor all those brave Australian who save the world in ww1 & ww2.

& to honor all the Australian's who have changed the world through their gifts to the world.

laws .. inventions ... music ... Art, ... science. ect ect

The Australian electoral system, liberty & freedom, ... the right to vote in free & fair elections. The right of woman to vote
( & serve on the front-line in the military )

& lets not forget the worlds first movies ..... Felix the cat .... Marry Poppins.

( im getting all tingly ) :D

Aussie Aussie Aussie ....Oi Oi Oi








OK ..... happy Australia day all, im going to kick on at the pub.
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby blackvault » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Isn't every day, Australia day for you, Rath? :) I mean that respectfully, of course!
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
User avatar
blackvault
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: North Hollywood, Ca.

Postby greeney2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:33 pm

Australia Day drinking problem
Simon Lauder reported this story on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:22:00

Listen to MP3 of this story ( minutes)
ALTERNATE WMA VERSION | MP3 DOWNLOAD
ELEANOR HALL: If Australia Day is a reflection of our nation's identity, the latest evidence suggests that we have a major problem.

A study examining 10 years worth of emergency response calls shows more young Australians get drunk and violent on Australia Day than on any other day of the year.

The authors of the study say it's partly a cultural problem but they say it's also one that can be addressed by government action.

In Melbourne, Simon Lauder reports.

SIMON LAUDER: As Australia Day approaches, the emergency services are getting ready for a busy day. Brian Russo is a senior paramedic based in Melbourne.

BRIAN RUSSO: Look normally we do expect - particularly Australia Day where you've got the heat, people have got the day off - we do expect that there's going to be alcohol involved. When we arrive at a scene, you can obviously get big groups of people, various levels of intoxication, some people are a bit aggressive, uncooperative, so it is quite challenging for paramedics.

SIMON LAUDER: Do you think it's a problem that's got worse over say the last decade?

BRIAN RUSSO: I think it has, it's something that we tend to notice as paramedics, that people do seem to be more likely to lash out. People certainly tend to use weapons more now, so yeah it's something that we have noticed over the time, that it has continued to increase.

SIMON LAUDER: Heavy drinking has played a part in the Australian way of life since the arrival of the first fleet in 1788. So much so that Australia Day is now the day Australia's young people are most likely to drink themselves sick.

BELINDA LLOYD: Particularly for young people, we found that it was actually the worst day of the year across acute intoxication, assaults, and motor vehicle accidents.

SIMON LAUDER: Dr Belinda Lloyd is the lead author of a study which analysed 10 years of police data on assaults, hospital admissions and ambulance call-outs in Metropolitan Melbourne from the year 2000.

She says it's the first strong evidence to support what most people take for granted - Australians get through a lot of alcohol on public holidays.

Dr Lloyd says most drinking takes place the day before a public holiday.

BELINDA LLOYD: The exception to that thought is Australia Day where, particularly for young people we've found that it was actually the worst day of the year across acute intoxication, assaults and motor vehicle accidents.

SIMON LAUDER: Why do you think that is?

BELINDA LLOYD: Well, it certainly raises a number of issues around alcohol availability, around its acceptability of use and also around a culture of drinking. We did find that Australia Day was the second worst day across all other groups for assaults and so it certainly is a time of increased alcohol related harms across the whole population but young people seem to be particularly at risk at this time of year.

SIMON LAUDER: What is it about Australia Day do you think that makes young people want to get drunk?

BELINDA LLOYD: I certainly think that there's a degree of acceptability around intoxication at this time of year. Australia Day falling in the warmer months of the year, we know that warmer times of the year are certainly associated with increased alcohol consumption.

But we see quite sustained alcohol promotions and cut price alcohol deals in the lead-up to Australia Day and that's teamed with a whole range of sporting events that really are - have a lot of alcohol advertising associated with them and very much a culture of drinking.

So we have at this time of year cricket, the Australia Open, a number of other major sporting events where there's quite extensive alcohol advertising at that time.

We also see very focused alcohol promotions through bottle shops but also through on license premises and this certainly raises some concerns about alcohol consumption and the acceptability of drunkenness in the community.

SIMON LAUDER: Brian Vandenberg is the manager of alcohol programs at the State Government agency, VicHealth, which commissioned the study.

BRIAN VANDENBERG: I think it is a little bit sad, it's a bit embarrassing for Australia that our national public holiday is marked by a lot of binge drinking and that our police force and our ambulance services and hospitals are picking up the pieces.

SIMON LAUDER: Mr Vandenberg says most Australians drink responsibly but the problem needs to be addressed.

BRIAN VANDENBERG: Adults can play a role by acting more responsibly as role models to young people in the way they drink. I think the alcohol industry can be more responsible in the way they market and promote alcohol and I also think the Government has a role to play in addressing the price of alcohol through taxation policies and also the way liquor laws are established so that people are not inundated with alcohol in their face every day and there's a limit on how much alcohol is available.

SIMON LAUDER: The report found that events associated with public drinking and warm weather are the most likely to bring out violence, drunkenness and traffic accidents, which also puts New Year's Day near the top of the list.

ELEANOR HALL: Simon Lauder reporting.
MORE TO ADD? ALERT US »
PRINT THIS STORY »
EMAIL A FRIEND »
SHARE ON FACEBOOK »
SHARE ON TWITTER »
Related Links
ABC takes no responsibility for the sites these links take you to.

Booze-related violence to peak on Australia Day, ABC Melbourne, 24.01.2012
Police sick of 'drunken violence', ABC News, 25.11.2011
Police warn of Australia Day violence crackdown, ABC News, 22.01.2010
Voluntary alcohol restrictions proposed for Australia Day, PM, 14.01.2010
Images
Click an image to enlarge


©2010 ABC
PRIVACY POLICY
CONDITIONS OF USE

 ! blackvault wrote:
Source link needed
greeney2
 
Posts: 9632
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby Wing-Zero » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:58 pm

greeney2 wrote:Australia Day drinking problem...


It's only a problem if you suck at it.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
User avatar
Wing-Zero
 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Location: California Uber Alles

Postby rath » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:06 am

blackvault wrote:Isn't every day, Australia day for you, Rath? :) I mean that respectfully, of course!


:thumbup:
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby rath » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:10 am

greeney2 wrote:Australia Day drinking problem
Simon Lauder reported this story on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:22:00

Listen to MP3 of this story ( minutes)
ALTERNATE WMA VERSION | MP3 DOWNLOAD
ELEANOR HALL: If Australia Day is a reflection of our nation's identity, the latest evidence suggests that we have a major problem.

A study examining 10 years worth of emergency response calls shows more young Australians get drunk and violent on Australia Day than on any other day of the year.

The authors of the study say it's partly a cultural problem but they say it's also one that can be addressed by government action.

In Melbourne, Simon Lauder reports.

SIMON LAUDER: As Australia Day approaches, the emergency services are getting ready for a busy day. Brian Russo is a senior paramedic based in Melbourne.

BRIAN RUSSO: Look normally we do expect - particularly Australia Day where you've got the heat, people have got the day off - we do expect that there's going to be alcohol involved. When we arrive at a scene, you can obviously get big groups of people, various levels of intoxication, some people are a bit aggressive, uncooperative, so it is quite challenging for paramedics.

SIMON LAUDER: Do you think it's a problem that's got worse over say the last decade?

BRIAN RUSSO: I think it has, it's something that we tend to notice as paramedics, that people do seem to be more likely to lash out. People certainly tend to use weapons more now, so yeah it's something that we have noticed over the time, that it has continued to increase.

SIMON LAUDER: Heavy drinking has played a part in the Australian way of life since the arrival of the first fleet in 1788. So much so that Australia Day is now the day Australia's young people are most likely to drink themselves sick.

BELINDA LLOYD: Particularly for young people, we found that it was actually the worst day of the year across acute intoxication, assaults, and motor vehicle accidents.

SIMON LAUDER: Dr Belinda Lloyd is the lead author of a study which analysed 10 years of police data on assaults, hospital admissions and ambulance call-outs in Metropolitan Melbourne from the year 2000.

She says it's the first strong evidence to support what most people take for granted - Australians get through a lot of alcohol on public holidays.

Dr Lloyd says most drinking takes place the day before a public holiday.

BELINDA LLOYD: The exception to that thought is Australia Day where, particularly for young people we've found that it was actually the worst day of the year across acute intoxication, assaults and motor vehicle accidents.

SIMON LAUDER: Why do you think that is?

BELINDA LLOYD: Well, it certainly raises a number of issues around alcohol availability, around its acceptability of use and also around a culture of drinking. We did find that Australia Day was the second worst day across all other groups for assaults and so it certainly is a time of increased alcohol related harms across the whole population but young people seem to be particularly at risk at this time of year.

SIMON LAUDER: What is it about Australia Day do you think that makes young people want to get drunk?

BELINDA LLOYD: I certainly think that there's a degree of acceptability around intoxication at this time of year. Australia Day falling in the warmer months of the year, we know that warmer times of the year are certainly associated with increased alcohol consumption.

But we see quite sustained alcohol promotions and cut price alcohol deals in the lead-up to Australia Day and that's teamed with a whole range of sporting events that really are - have a lot of alcohol advertising associated with them and very much a culture of drinking.

So we have at this time of year cricket, the Australia Open, a number of other major sporting events where there's quite extensive alcohol advertising at that time.

We also see very focused alcohol promotions through bottle shops but also through on license premises and this certainly raises some concerns about alcohol consumption and the acceptability of drunkenness in the community.

SIMON LAUDER: Brian Vandenberg is the manager of alcohol programs at the State Government agency, VicHealth, which commissioned the study.

BRIAN VANDENBERG: I think it is a little bit sad, it's a bit embarrassing for Australia that our national public holiday is marked by a lot of binge drinking and that our police force and our ambulance services and hospitals are picking up the pieces.

SIMON LAUDER: Mr Vandenberg says most Australians drink responsibly but the problem needs to be addressed.

BRIAN VANDENBERG: Adults can play a role by acting more responsibly as role models to young people in the way they drink. I think the alcohol industry can be more responsible in the way they market and promote alcohol and I also think the Government has a role to play in addressing the price of alcohol through taxation policies and also the way liquor laws are established so that people are not inundated with alcohol in their face every day and there's a limit on how much alcohol is available.

SIMON LAUDER: The report found that events associated with public drinking and warm weather are the most likely to bring out violence, drunkenness and traffic accidents, which also puts New Year's Day near the top of the list.

ELEANOR HALL: Simon Lauder reporting.
MORE TO ADD? ALERT US »
PRINT THIS STORY »
EMAIL A FRIEND »
SHARE ON FACEBOOK »
SHARE ON TWITTER »
Related Links
ABC takes no responsibility for the sites these links take you to.

Booze-related violence to peak on Australia Day, ABC Melbourne, 24.01.2012
Police sick of 'drunken violence', ABC News, 25.11.2011
Police warn of Australia Day violence crackdown, ABC News, 22.01.2010
Voluntary alcohol restrictions proposed for Australia Day, PM, 14.01.2010
Images
Click an image to enlarge


©2010 ABC
PRIVACY POLICY
CONDITIONS OF USE


what no Source, or Link.

:snooty:
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby rath » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:31 am

greeney2 wrote:Australia Day drinking problem


Problem .... What problem.

As always .......... there will be the wousers & sooks, who think the world should be run by a nanny state.
People who come to Australia & then try & change it, because it does not fit in with their religious & ethnic sensibility.

If they don't like it .... they can leave. ( go back to England or India & the Mid East ) where you can live under the repressive class system your so use to.

Luckily ...... that's only a small portion of the overall population & the vast number of people who move to Australia, do so because they seek to live the Australian dream.

& Drinking & partying is a big part of the Australian way. .......... Aussies hardly need a reason to party.
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby rath » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:33 am

Wing-Zero wrote:
greeney2 wrote:Australia Day drinking problem...


It's only a problem if you suck at it.



It's only a problem if you pass out & chock on your own vomit.

& i hardly do that anymore.

My biggest problem these days, .... Is working out who's bed im in. & trying to remember if i parked my car in the tree or the poll
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:17 am

"Australian drinking problem" is he Title of the article, not my opinion written in.

The source is stated AT BOTTOM---- ABC---ABC NEWS----AUSTRALIAN BROADCASTING COMPANY
greeney2
 
Posts: 9632
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby blackvault » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 am

Off Topic
A source link is needed for copyright reasons. Yes, it's a new rule everyone is getting used to (including me).

"Source: http://LINK..... is all that is needed.
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
User avatar
blackvault
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: North Hollywood, Ca.

Next

Return to General Discussion Topics

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests