The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Nash's equilibrium, evolution, and Christianity

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby at1with0 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:41 am

What is the role Christianity might play in evolutionary dynamics? Is agape, love for the group and the individual, part of it? I know almost nothing of game theory, which might be at play in competitive species evolutionary theory, but I believe it was Nash who proved something along the lines that if every individual does what's best for themselves AND the group, then everyone can "win", which I would surmise just means to survive.

So if you have love for the group, you are already motivated to do what's best for the group. If there are a lot of such individuals who love the group and do what's best for the group, then that group has a greater survival rate. And, of course, agape is a virtue espoused by Christianity. Mark 12:29 states "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[c] There is no commandment greater than these.”

From a game-theoretic point of view, following those commandments would theoretically increase odds of a species surviving: doing what's best for the group and the individual (in this case, out of love).
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts