The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

the desert aka the wilderness

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby at1with0 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 pm

They say you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. One way to get a horse to drink is to lead it through a desert first. Perhaps this was the point of the great exodus and all that time spent in the desert: to get people ready to drink the "water" that is of divine origin as they made their way to the promised land.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... on=NIV1984

The Temptation of Jesus

4 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[a]”

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’[b]”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’[c]”

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’[d]”

11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
Last edited by at1with0 on Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby at1with0 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:40 pm

at1with0

Postby bionic » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 am

“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
(love&forgive yourself..and everyone else)
bionic

Postby at1with0 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:25 am

Love the song!
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:23 pm

The Hebrews were led through the 'desert wilderness.' I like where you are going with this, as I have found that almost everything that ever occurred in the bible seems to have some kind of symbolic significance. But I'm not sure about this one. In fact, the trip through the desert and desert wilderness ended up seeming to have the opposite effect. The people got sick and tired of eating the manna from heaven and started pining for the old days when they were enslaved... because at least then they ate meat, leaks, garlic, onions, etc. God's reaction to their whining was, in my opinion, one of the funniest episodes in all the bible.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:30 pm

I was hoping to get your insight in this matter as soon as you posted in what are you listening to...

Well right now I'm viewing the desert as a testing ground of sorts. The people who forsook God failed. Likewise for Brother Justin Crowe. I didn't realize that they were given manna from heaven.

I was inspired to write a poem inspired my Matt 4:1-11. I think you might like it. Bionic has already seen it.

Into the Wilderness

I lost my way so that I could find the way
I lost myself so I could find myself
I lost my God so I could find God

The spirit guided me to a water divine
I lost the capacity to drink it
So into the wild desert I ventured
so that I would be made thirsty

For forty days and forty nights was I thirsty
as a stubborn mule I would not drink
of the sacred spirit
I was alone.

The adversarial force came to me in my weakest moment
it came with questions
"how can you defeat that which finds nourishment in your attack?"
"how can you kill that which finds sanctuary in your blade?"
"how can you hinder that which embraces the strategies against it?"
"human: why do you clutch your flesh so?"

these questions vexed me to the point of madness
for I peered into the abyss long enough to be consumed by it

Then, at high noon on the forty-first day
I was thirsty enough to drink
when I return from the wilderness I will be born again....
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:16 pm

I like the poem very much. And it emphasizes one of the greatest lessons in all the bible. When we suffer, we often react resentfully and question the goodness of the Great Spirit. It is only after the trial is complete, and we suffer enough to finally drink from the water, that we realize. The Great Spirit allowed us to suffer for the specific reason that we would thirst enough to appreciate the gifts we are offered and given. We take so much for granted, until it is taken away. Sometimes it has to be taken away so we can enter the proper, grateful, humble state of thanksgiving.

Well done, my good man. Well done.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby at1with0 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:45 am

frrostedman wrote:I like the poem very much. And it emphasizes one of the greatest lessons in all the bible. When we suffer, we often react resentfully and question the goodness of the Great Spirit. It is only after the trial is complete, and we suffer enough to finally drink from the water, that we realize. The Great Spirit allowed us to suffer for the specific reason that we would thirst enough to appreciate the gifts we are offered and given. We take so much for granted, until it is taken away. Sometimes it has to be taken away so we can enter the proper, grateful, humble state of thanksgiving.

Well done, my good man. Well done.

Thanks.

As the story of Justin Crowe suggests, many do not survive the desert. Some are born again into "darkness."
at1with0

Postby at1with0 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Well what I'm wondering is if people who are undergoing growth of this nature experience the wilderness period that stimulates both growth and decay in some people...
at1with0

Postby bionic » Fri May 03, 2013 8:37 pm

yep...sadly(because it hurts so much..I feel for anyone going through it, myself included)..sometimes, the most incredible interpersonal growth comes from pain and that, 'desert walk'. It has been my experience, anyway.
Also, you should know...it happens again and again.
Everytime you think, "I got it{. stuff comes up to prove you wrong.
Humbling...
After conquering most recent brick wall, and a year or two of, "I'm awesome!", another brick wall says, 'hello'
hence the popularity of the labarynth/maze archetype (which would make an awesome tattoo, now I'm thinking about it)
8-)
“Whether you sniff it smoke it eat it or shove it up your ass the result is the same: addiction.”
― William S. Burroughs
(love&forgive yourself..and everyone else)
bionic

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts