The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Former believer - pastor comes out as non-believer

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby at1with0 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 am

Another one bites the dust.
"it is easy to grow crazy"
at1with0

Postby frrostedman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:17 am

humphreys wrote:I think the most interesting part was his implication that many other religious "authorities" likely have significant doubts themselves, and that it is a constant inner battle between absolute belief and real doubt.

No doubt about it!

All believers struggle with fear, doubt, and disbelief.

"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby humphreys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:30 am

greeney2 wrote:You waffle so bad in your arguement you should be in the International House of Pancakes selling them. Pink Elephants don't exist, but if they did, they are why my flowers are trampled. :P Damn Pink Elephants they are to blame. :lol:

:roll:

greeney2 wrote:Show me facts and figures to proove your point about atheist charities, becasue one on the top of your list did have financial figures, showing current donations of a whopping $34,000 dollars. I looked their websites up! One of the others did have a large staff but no facts or figures, other than claiming they had euros for grants you could appply for. Nothing like food and medicine airlifts I could find. but still atheist organizations combined, was very small in any comparison.

Your claim was that there were no atheist charities or groups out there doing good, my claim was that there are, and the link I gave you proved that.

I'm really not sure what you expect me to be able to provide, a detailed rundown of every atheist who ever gave money to charity? You're really trying to cheapen the idea of goodwill by putting a number on it and it's pretty sick.

greeney2 wrote:I'm not making this a competion, and any help or giving should not be regarded as dismal, however for a group who claims God is the cause of such suffering in the world, I would expect something much more.

Like I said, atheist and freethinkers are not in the habit of joining groups, they do their work individually. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are unbelievers who have given an obscene amount of money to charitable causes, for a start.

You clearly are trying to make this a competition because your initial claim about atheists was clearly false.

greeney2 wrote:Believers do not have a hard time at all explaining evil. Evil exists in the world in many forms, and it has to do with God giving you and everyone free will.

The problem of evil is an issue for many believers, the pastor included.

greeney2 wrote:You talk about free thinking, that is nothing unique to athiests, its just part of your ego insisting how right you are, and only you are capable of free thinking. We all have free will, to act and think, or to be decieved by the evil of the world. My point with the Pastors kindness as a person was obvious in your video, he was not on a mission to drag anyone else down, or influence his congregation away from God. He may have lost his Faith, but still had a heart of a good person. You could not say the same thing about Dawkins, yourself, or EH, who all bragg about, if you were able to take someones Faith away. What forces are in play to hurt otherwise secure and content people, who belief and worship God, and live everyday according to their Faith?

I doubt you know anything about Dawkins, his private life is personal and neither you nor I have any idea what he may or may not have contributed to charitable causes.

Here is some good Dawkins has done you are obviously not aware of, again, took me 2 seconds on google:

http://givingaid.richarddawkins.net/

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity ... rd-dawkins
Last edited by humphreys on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby humphreys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:36 am

What I find most offensive is scenes of starving families being delivered bibles. The looks on their faces when they realize they can't actually eat it can be heartbreaking.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby humphreys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:39 am

As we are in the habit of enquiring personal details about who has and has not given to charity, care to tell us what your total donation is, greeney?

I would also like to know how much you earn and what your other expenses are, so I can see whether your donation is in proportion to your earn. Got any luxury items you can do without? I'm pretty sure God would prefer you donate them if you could.

How about John Jr? I'm SURE he has a few extra dollars lying around too.

If you have literally ANYTHING you do not need you are being a bad Christian and not doing enough! :thumbdown:

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby frrostedman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 am

humphreys wrote:What I find most offensive is scenes of starving families being delivered bibles. The looks on their faces when they realize they can't actually eat it can be heartbreaking.

On the other hand if you ever run across Ezekiel or John the Apostle, you can ask them what Scriptures taste like. They were ordered to eat their own scrolls. I'm thinking the starving families might have been better off. Then again, hey... a little salt or hot sauce and it might be some decent grub. :drool:
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby humphreys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:12 am

If you wanted to be really evil you could give them a Quran instead and tell them to eat it, while filming it, and then you send it to a muslim acquaintance.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby frrostedman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:19 am

humphreys wrote:If you wanted to be really evil you could give them a Quran instead and tell them to eat it, while filming it, and then you send it to a muslim acquaintance.

The silver lining is, they won't be worried about their next meal much longer! I knew you had at least a SHRED of good in you! Very thoughtful.
frrostedman

Postby event_horizon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:46 pm

greeney2 wrote:Show me facts and figures to proove your point about atheist charities, becasue one on the top of your list did have financial figures, showing current donations of a whopping $34,000 dollars. I looked their websites up! One of the others did have a large staff but no facts or figures, other than claiming they had euros for grants you could appply for. Nothing like food and medicine airlifts I could find. but still atheist organizations combined, was very small in any comparison. I'm not making this a competion, and any help or giving should not be regarded as dismal, however for a group who claims God is the cause of such suffering in the world, I would expect something much more. And for a group that claims such a large percentage of the population, charities are disporportionate to numbers.

All the church does is sit around on their asses and collect free money. Big wow. Any bum can do that.

The church can obviously do a lot more because they're a much bigger organization and receive much more money -- reason being there are millions of fools that donate to them because they think they can buy their way into Fantasyland.

Atheist charities and donations are much more honorable, because there are no underlying objectives of doing it for brownie points towards a place in "Heaven".
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby greeney2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 pm

I've never seen anyone with such misconceptions of what is really the truth.
greeney2

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts