The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

favorite firearms...

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:41 am

Wing-Zero wrote:Whenever I go to the gun show down here there's this one guy with crates full of C96's and Lugers. He's always asking big money for 'em though. I'd throw the cash down if I had it though.

When I do research on guns I always find that Germans didn't just make great working guns, they had a knack for them. They were works of mechanical art just as much as they were functional weapons of destruction. Lugers are another favorite of mine.

Truth be told though I will probably never own a gun, even if it were a trophy gun. I am very apprehensive about firearms. Maybe if I had the time and money to educate and train myself on the use of firearms I wouldn't feel this way. But until then I will just get my fun from playing shooter video games. :)
"That's the problem with drinking ... If something bad happens you drink in attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen." -- Charles Bukowski
adamwarlock2099

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:44 am

frrostedman wrote:The only firearm I currently see a use for, is one for the defense of my home. And in that case, I would want something that will stop an intruder on the first shot. Once I pull the trigger, I don't want the perp able to come at me or fire back. But, just in case the guy is 300 lbs. and powered up on crack and adrenaline... I want a semi auto for multiple shots.

I think the .50 caliber, gas-powered Desert Eagle is the best choice.

I am reading a novel "The Human DIsguise" that is a post apocalyptic setting and the author mentions many times that most of the guns that are left in the world are gas powered. What exactly does that mean as oppose to a gun powered with gun powder and a hammer?
"That's the problem with drinking ... If something bad happens you drink in attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen." -- Charles Bukowski
adamwarlock2099

Postby greeney2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:17 am

I love all these big and bad hi power guns, and love shotting something with some real horsepower, but still my favorite guns are just our collection of 22's and good ol fashioned plinking at things. Which remians me John and I are overdue for a day of plinking, a campfire and a cookout at our favorite splinking spot. :D
greeney2

Postby The_Joker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:57 am

Sig Saur P229 .40 cal ... Nuff said ;)
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby ricardo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:10 pm

wing zero ... thanks lol . I stray too- lesson learned.(maybe)
another senario... my specially trained black German shepards
would indicate silently to me that the intruder was on the property.

I would use hand signals to let one of them present an ' introduction.'
depending on whether the intruders weapon was drawn. otherwise they
would stop and disminish the threat.

time enough for Ricardo to hit the lights and don night vision goggles. than confront threat from a position of concealment w/ the business end of a compound bow. not wanting to appear rude. we have a strict noise policy in neighborhood association. what's the matter with you guys ? no manners :naughty:

amended for ' graphic content ' not deemed suitable for impressionable minds.
Last edited by ricardo on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ricardo

Postby ricardo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:33 pm

'wildly' brand- is I believe an gas operated pistol for the slide mechanism. has a neat little tool to adjust trigger pull and change barrel length. 1800 $ years ago
it's a bear gun. I think Bronson used one in one of his death wish movie series.

I like the input on training. firearms are an action of last resort. always.
they should locked though accessible. especially around kids . drinking and guns don't mix. never point a gun or toy gun. it's poor discipline.

I've seen this happen w/ loaded guns that luck had it the firing pin
was inoperable .( fortunate me.)

training tip : as opposed to revolvers ( they don't use a clip)
by removing a semi auto matic pistols clip with bullets may not
remove all the bullets from the gun. because ?
Last edited by ricardo on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricardo

Postby adamwarlock2099 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 am

I know we all have the right to bear arms and all that and I don't want to step on toes, but how is it you have to be trained to drive a car that CAN hurt people if used improperly, hence the training, but I can walk into a gun shop today pick out a gun, wait three days and then purchase something whose design IS to hurt people with ZERO training? There is something wrong with that scenario. I don't care if people own guns, that should be a right to protect oneself. But can't we have some kind of mandatory education and training to be licensed to own a firearm?

To answer your question ricardo, it is because if the first bullet was chambered than it's not in clip but in the barrel ready to shoot.

"18 in the clip and one in the hole, Nate Dogg was about to make some bodies turn cold." -- Regulate by Warren G and the late Nate Dogg
adamwarlock2099

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Adam when they talk about gas powered it is not referring to the gun powder, it is referring to the way the gun unloads and load incoming rounds. They are referring to the mechanical action of the gun. Guns like a western six-gun revolver operate by a mechanical connection that rotates the cylinder, when you cock back the hammer. A shotgun with a pump mechanically ejects the empty shell when pulled back, and advanced the new shell into the firing chamber, when thrust forwards. Old cap and balls are mechanically loaded by hand with a long rod and hand packed to load. A lever action western rifle, also mechanically ejects the old shell and advances the new one into the chamber. Bolt actions like big game hunting rifles with scopes, eject and advance the new round with a sliding bolt. There are many many hand and rifle designs using "hand mechanical means" to eject fired shells and load unfired shells, hence the term "repeating", holding multiple rounds, rather than single shots, but by some mechanical device can reload rapidly.

In gas operated guns, they utilize the expanding gas produced by the bullet that just fired, that is a high pressure pushing the projectile out of the barrel. These are called automatics, or semi-automatics. The machine gun is fully automatic, when you pull the trigger it just keep firing. Semi-automatics are one shot for each trigger pull. In either case, the high pressure gas, as the bullet travels down the barrel leaving expands into a internal chamber, that slides at mechanism ejecting the fired shell casing (the brass), and springs advance the incoming shell to the chamber and return the slide to its neutral position, locking and loading the new incoming round. It is very fast, all done faster than you can pull the trigger, almost instantly as the bullet has left the tip of the barrel its done. Some of the guns that are gas operated are most modern miliary rifles, the M-1, M1-carbine from WW2 and Korea, the M-14 and M-16 from Viet Nam era, etc. Gas operated guns have been around since before 1900, the military 45 is one of them, The German Luger you mentioned, plus many many more. Many bird hunting or skeet shooting shotguns are gas operated as well. Many plinking 22's like the semi automatic ruger 1022. All the cops have converted to semi-automatic Glocks with many rounds over the old 38 special revolvers, now probably useless. Gas operated allows you to really lay down some serious firepower with devestating results.

In other words, they are a lot of fun to shoot plinking. You can just blast the hell out of anything to your hearts content. All boys love firecrackers, and automatics are the ultimate in firecrackers. :lol: :clap: :thumbup: :dance: But it costs money everytime you pull that trigger, bullets arn't cheap. :Doh:

Hope that explains gas operated a little
greeney2

Postby ricardo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 pm

thats correct Adam warlock . fosho , many have died not realizing the error.
hence the additional training of never pointing weapons. as you know.
from the amount of criminal incidents per citizenry ( year)one could argue.
suicide ( if you remove that as a crime against god or self)
is far greater than the incidence of crime related deaths. ?
and , crimes prevented are rare. becoming / gaining mythical status perpetrated on the susceptible fearful citizenry, by an media circus to increase ratings, and gun sales.

therefore cops should not be armed or citizens ?

honorable mention:greeney2
thanks for the expert description of gas operated :thumbup:
Last edited by ricardo on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricardo

Postby bionic » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:05 am

I have fired a gun..my H took me out shooting before..he is law enforcement..and ex infantry..so he knows guns..has a gun or, two

It was fun..I always wanted to do ti some more, because it;s a skill one should have..because yah never know in life..we also own a shotgun..that has never been used..lol (but..for just in case..not for intruders..but for if society collapses and we must hunt for food..I pushed for this..obviously..crraazzy)

I am more..and I am scared to even say..because last time I did all hell borke loose..but..I WILL..I am a pepper spray kinda gal..good for walks in the woods, too

Let the pepper spraying begin!! (again)
"wife pepper sprays cheating H"
"teacher pepper sprays naughty child"
"two people, after getting in fender bender..pepper spray each other"
"dude cuts in line..pepper sprayed"
"movie sucked..audience pepper sprays screen"
"soem jerk, for no good reason..goes into local mall and starts pepper spraying everyone"
"kid in trenchcoat in school..you guessed it..pepper spray"
"another kid in school..pepper spray bomb"
I could go on, and on...
(I kinda stole this silly concept..)
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

PreviousNext

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts