The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

Products and Gear Advice and Opinion

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby Cole_Trickle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:44 am

Since it's now Winter, even if a bit mild let's start there. I recently purchased a Spyder Jacket/ Sweater for my wife, mid weight they call it. Spyder makes cold weather gear for those who ski, snowboard, outdoor winter activities....that kind of stuff. Her's is a bright Purple fleece lined full zip up.............It's a sweater like garment and not designed to block the wind. She uses it for a layer while at work on cold days when they turn down the heat to save money. :lol:

It's great for a middle layer when it' really cold, she'll simply put a down jacket over the sweater and is good to go in zero weather, or like wind chills.

A great choice for days when the temps are in the 50 degree range. Made very well which makes the price a bit easier to swallow..

She bought me a Green Heavy weight Sweater a week or so after I bought hers. I tested it in 30 degrees with some wind..........Remember these are sweaters.........the wind didn't exactly blast through but I could definitely feel it. I had a base layer Mock on, a cotton sweater over that, and the heavy weight Spyder Jacket/sweater over that........had there been no wind I would have been fine.........

http://www.spyder.com/

I've used tons of clothing product gear over the years.......and will be happy to give an honest unbiased opinion on anything I've had personal experience with.......I'd also welcome any opinion anyone else would have on things I may have a use for in the future......

I read a lot and do lots of research before I buy anything these days, sometimes reading reviews can be sketchy because some people don't have any idea what they are actually buying, or have bought. Some seem to have a bias......Let's do our best to be honest and fair with our reviews.

As for Spyder.....as the Jacket/Core Sweaters go........I say just as advertised..........sharp looking and very well made, lots of color choices and they do the job that Spyder claims they will....Very pleased with ours.

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby bionic » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 am

cool
:thumbup:
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:55 am

bionic wrote:cool

Indeed. They make some radical, high end stuff as well...........but I'm all tapped out on cold weather gear---------absent the boots. I've wore out the Scarpas....glued on boots are not really made for the abuse I've given this pair......sewn on leather is the only way to go..........very expensive but will last for 15-20 years with proper care.

I have a new Arbor Ware mid weight/light weight vest that I picked up on sale....been looking for the thing for two years, finally found it and pulled the trigger.............GREAT FIELD VEST...Great to put on over a sweater/jacket........or put rain gear over the vest.

For me, I hate going into a place of business and fining it hot as hell inside the store, restaurant, ETC.-------It's why we wear layers and never take an actual coat into any place...Most places don't check coats..............some private clubs still do, but not many.........

Nothing like losing a $300.00 winter coat, or leaving it behind, or having someone find it and liking it more than you do/DID!! :lol:

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby jaydeehess » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:39 pm

In the Arctic weather stations, where we did not have much use for fashion, nor were we likely to find ourselves in department stores,(nearest community was hundreds of air miles away) we wore knee length heavy parkas with fur lined hoods, fleece lined boots that fit over our runners, tee-shirts and hoodies, long underwear, jeans and wind pants. I wore cut off cotton gloves inside my heavy mitts so that I could take the mitts off on occassion to use my fingers.

We looked like various sizes of grey fire hydrants!
OTOH we could stand outside at -48C, in a wind (there was almost always a wind) and be perfectly comfy.
Math, science, history unraveling the mystery, that all started with a Big Bang.....BANG!!
jaydeehess

Postby Cole_Trickle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it............You've a cool way with words...
It's been so mild this winter that this latest blast of arctic air feels like below zero stuff...............had to break out the Carhartt arctic wear.. :shock:

Pretty amazing stuff that's stood the test of time quite well..................It's too bad that skimped and cut corners as a means of cutting production cost.........I've bought my last outerwear from them as a result...

A lot to be said for wool and fleece when the wolf starts to howl! ;)

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby bionic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:40 am

Do you live near a Menard's?
they are, officially a hardware store..but sell so much cool stuff...like winterwear..cheap (all over MN and WI)
Oh Christ..I SO miss Menards
Puhlease Gawd..let it work it's way WEST..
come to me..Menards..COME TO ME!!!

also..please Gawd send me hotels with indoor water slides..like they have all over the northern midwest..so cool

here's a sad fact..Hostess is DONE FOR!!

also..of topic ..and..on a side note..

soldiers piss on dead bodies..does that surprise you? fighting for their live, watching their friend get killed makes forbitterness..that gets acted out..duh.....kill em but don/t piss on them, right?..they, the other side..whatever it is these days.. are also killing you and pissing on you, fyi..for the same reasons...duh

TOLERANCE

oh and the L.L. Bean catalog is cool
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:36 pm

I can't say enough good things about Danner boots. They're a bit pricey but I've been wearing them consistently for a year now and they're still going strong. I needed comfortable rain-tight boots as I ride a motorcycle and these things deliver.

http://www.danner.com/boots/strikertm-i ... boots.html

Postby Cole_Trickle » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:11 am

Yep....agree on the Danner's.........I've never actually owned a pair, they are one of my final two choices.............Right now I'm leaning toward the Chippewa Brand...............either is a very fine choice.....I figure this pair to be my last all purpose/utility pair of boots.........Must be sewn on soles-------------not glued...........would prefer made in the USA -----------Check those prices if you wanna flip out.............the shame of it all.

Red Wing wants $250.00 for a pair of classics----------no thinsulate and no waterproof .............

Here's a great tip for anyone wanting a pair of boots-----------pay extra for actual sewn on soles...............glued on soles can't be repaired or resoled-------if you're going to be in the field using them for actual work DO NOT buy glued on soles.............yet if you're just wearing them for leisure, pleasure, or kicking around in------------they'll work just fine, and they're much less expensive.

Menard's is huge in this area.................I'm not a real fan but have bought some stuff from them before............B.........You are right.........they have lots of stuff and are always looking for something else to sell........I bought some work jeans from them a while back.........Wranglers with extra heavy denim and deep pockets.............large hands need deep pockets...........Nothing worse than little bitty pockets on a man's pair of jeans. :lol: :lol:

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 pm

I agree with your points, Cole. I'm a boot man, I wear them everywhere, everyday. Work, home, in the yard and these boots have held up better than any other brand I've purchased. They have scuff marks, to be sure, but I could polish them out and make them look like new if I were so inclined. Absolutely no signs of wear on them after a year. Most other boots I've purchased fell apart before or by the six month mark. :thumbup:

Postby Cole_Trickle » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:46 am

Just bought a pair of Bean Boots...........10 " Gortex. My normal size is 11 1/2 and since Bean only makes whole sizes in this boot I opted for size 11....This boot is a bit big, heel slips which is annoying as hell, not to mention the extra room near to the toe..............this is because the soles of these boots are more like a moc, not a boot. Since there's noting to stitch to in the way of a tradition sole, they will run large...I just couldn't see ordering a 10.........I run into this with Doc Marten's. Afraid they would be too short, small.

Doc's are the finest work shoes ever made..............nothing comes close I've owned too many to count..............the soles will simply never wear out.

Anyway...............I can make the Beans work with a few adjustments, like a new $20.00 foot bed, or by wearing two pairs of socks.........a person should not have to wear two pairs of sucks and all they do is tighten up the ankle area thereby making the boot fit a bit snug which will hold your heel into the boot for a better fit.............Hard for me to believe people fork over $160 dollars for gear that doesn't fit properly. By reading beans product reviews that very thing seems to be what many people do........Let's just say that they are not real bright.

I've reordered in size 10 and am hoping against hope that they are not too small, but based on the fit of the 11 they should fit like a glove..lets' just hope that UPS doesn't crush them, or toss them over a fence, or run over them should they fall off a lift truck during the process...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The quality is very good, first rate and is an all around excellent boot for wet sloppy nasty weather ( that was why I bought them ) just something to slop around in and not worry about the mud on new 200 plus dollar leather boots.

I can see why these things are so popular with folks in the big city, those who have to walk a few blocks to works everyday... These are not field boots regardless of what anyone would ever write in a review or try to tell you about.

They are best used for wet muddy and snowy conditions.......waterproof especially with the gortex liner.......not for construction work, or any kind of real field work ie chainsaws, operating equipment, ETC. Lot's of people say that they use them to hunt in..........which I find very hard to believe. must be a Maine thing, or Northern thing..........anyway I'd very highly recommend these boots to anyone who has to commute via foot everyday..............when it's raining or snowing these boots will keep you from ruining your nice work wear.........They are great snow boots minus the bulky mess most snow gear actually is.

These are something that I will probably wear everyday during the Fall and Winter months..........Here's a prime example: after a big snow and it starts to melt and you happen upon a street corner where the water is 6 inches deep...yep in these you just wade in and keep on walking with dry socks/feet..I guarantee it..........no need for ugly rubbers or whatever those things are called....pound away in the Beans and keep on going.

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts