The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

General Discussion Topics

I wonder if I could FOIA this?

The Black Vault Message Forums has a considerable number of niche forums to place your post. If you can not find a home for it, and the topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then post it here.

Postby blackvault » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Library of Congress to receive entire Twitter archive

By Michael O'Connell
Web Editor
Federal News Radio
The Library of Congress and Twitter have signed an agreement that will see an archive of every public Tweet ever sent handed over to the library's repository of historical documents.

"We have an agreement with Twitter where they have a bunch of servers with their historic archive of tweets, everything that was sent out and declared to be public," said Bill Lefurgy, the digital initiatives program manager at the library's national digital information infrastructure and preservation program. "The archives don't contain tweets that users have protected, but everything else — billions and billions of tweets — are there."

Lefurgy joined the Federal Drive with Tom Temin and Amy Morris Tuesday morning to talk about the library's digital mission.

Using new technical processes it has developed, Twitter is moving a large quantity of electronic data from one electronic source to another. "They've had to do some pretty nifty experimentation and invention to develop the tools and a process to be able to move all of that data over to us," Lefurgy said.

The Library of Congress has long been the repository of important, historical documents and the Twitter library, as a whole, is something historic in itself.

"We were excited to be involved with acquiring the Twitter archives because it's a unique record of our time," Lefurgy said. "It's also a unique way of communication. It's not so much that people are going to be interested in what you or I had for lunch, which some people like to say on Twitter."

Researchers will be able to look at the Twitter archive as a complete set of data, which they could then data-mine for interesting information.

"There have been studies involved with what are the moods of the public at various times of the day in reaction to certain kinds of news events," Lefurgy said. "There's all these interesting kinds of mixing and matching that can be done using the tweets as a big set of data."

One benefit for the Library of Congress in receiving this large data set is that it's been forced to stretch itself technologically.

"It's been difficult at times," Lefurgy said. "But we firmly believe that we have to do this kind of thing because we anticipate that we'll be bringing in large data sets again into the future. We don't know specifically what, but certainly there's no sign of data getting smaller or less complicated or less interesting."

The library's Twitter partnership comes amid a renewed push by the administration and the National Archives and Records Administration for federal agencies to better archive their own social media postings and emails as potential government records.

"We're basically in the same situation as the National Archives, only on a much larger scale," Lefurgy said. "We tend to have a much larger perspective in terms of what we collect."

Source: http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=247&sid=2658996
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
blackvault

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 am

Now we are entering into an area that some ( myself included ) have warned people about for years... I started with Facebook/Myspace...suggesting to people that it would be a good idea to not post personal pics, not have an account that was set to " PUBLIC " Anyway..........

It's all based on the collection of information, only they call it other names, " click thru's " " trends " " habits' " even " data " all of which is collected and stored for future use................when they say that they are not using any of it then they are flat out lying. How do you suppose you get certain pop-ups when you search the web?

Simply programs logging your history, which is then used by ad agencies to target a persons specific demographic..............

Did you know that 1 in 5 of EVERY phone call made within the US is recorded. 1 in 5 every day 24/7 and 365.

It's where all of the jokes in regard to everything these days being a " MATTER of National security "

Which is why ( in my opinion that filing a request would be fruitless.

But I guess one can argue................who has the rights to this so called data/information in the first place. ;)

Cole
Cole_Trickle

Postby greeney2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:18 am

What about the good ol Barcode system, what it has on all of us? We all shop, and we all look for the best supermarket food deals, so we all register for the Ralphs, Vons, Safeway, CVS, and all these cards, becasue we get the discounts. We open our mail and get the latest Ralphs coupon special, and we yell " look at this, we use this, we use that, how lucky we just got, discounts on all the things we already buy". Boy are we all stupid.

That ol Bar code knows you, and what you buy. It also is used for insurance company profiles. They know if you buy a disporportionate amount of booze, cigarattees, or junk food items. They know if you are buying healthy or buying for future heart disease. They know what the odds are of you being a drunk driver, and probably can figure out your political agenda, based on profiles of foods bought. Buying green, or buying enviormentally friendly, I'm sure its all a science designed for making up everything from potential sales contact list for the impulsive grocery buyer, to knowing the most conservative and frugal buyers. You become most likely for targeting for the most luxury cars/resorts or you are on the profile for frugal gas economy cars/motel 6 specials.

Thank you Barcode, you know just about all of us.
greeney2

Return to General Discussion Topics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts