The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

First Journey to earths mantle

The newest revelations in the scientific world -- post articles, discussions and your own ideas.

Postby sandra » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:34 am

Scientists to drill FIVE miles down:

"First journey to below the Earth's crust will go deeper than ever beforeBy Daniel Bates
Last updated at 7:06 PM on 28th March 2011

Researchers plan to tunnel through solid rock to Earth's mantle
It may not quite be Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, but it’s the closest we’ve come yet.
A team of British-led researchers are to drill down to Earth’s mantle for the first time and bring back samples.
The incredible feat would involve tunnelling through five miles of solid rock on the sea bed in temperatures as high as 570F (298C).
Mission impossible? A team of British-led researchers is to drill down through five miles or rock to Earth's mantle for the first time and bring back samples
Once there, the pressure on the equipment would be a staggering four million pounds per square inch - 285,000 times that of normal gravity.
The scientists hope to take samples and get them back up to the surface so we can learn more about the origins of the planet."

Full Article below..

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1HyIYv9Nb

FREAKS me out! Now these people freeeeaaaak me out maaaan.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Return to Scientific Discoveries and Advancements

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts