The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

World Politics

US Tea Party Movement Mask Power Elite

This section is designed for foreign politics, outside the United States. The Black Vault serves many different countries, and this forum will hold threads regarding world politics, events, etc.

Postby Aquarian » Wed May 19, 2010 3:37 pm

New York Times columnist Ross Douthat rather deftly packs the lion's share of free-floating discontent that I've been feeling into a sharp shot, contending that in this seemingly "populist moment" -- where public discontent appears to be in full flower -- behind the scenes, all of the existing power structures are essentially retrenching.

But look through these anti-establishment theatrics to the deep structures of political and economic power, and suddenly the surge of populism feels like so much sound and fury, obscuring the real story of our time. From Washington to Athens, the economic crisis is producing consolidation rather than revolution, the entrenchment of authority rather than its diffusion, and the concentration of power in the hands of the same elite that presided over the disasters in the first place.

Douthat goes on to cite copious examples: the sturdy persistence of "too big to fail" institutions, President Barack Obama's retention of the unitary executive powers that the Bush White House claimed as its own and the perverse way that the protege's of yesterday's failures remain in charge. Meet the new Committee to Save the World, same as the old Committee to Save the World.

I particularly like Douthat's use of the "sound and fury" metaphor. To make something of a cynical observation, it never ceases to amaze me just how good our society is at allowing the outlet of public catharsis. Tea Partiers get to march and rage and take a scalp or two. Legislators yell at bankers and corporate executives at the center of, say, massive oil spills. Everyone gets to vent, and once all that emotion is expended, the beat goes on. Party hacks like Dick Armey are ensuring that the Tea Party movement gets subsumed within the GOP establishment. And lawmakers put on a great show, beating up on the Goldman Sachses of the world, but nobody's really poised to bring down the House of Blankfein.

President Barack Obama was reportedly very "angry" after those Gulf oil spill hearings, and the spectacle of BP-blaming-TransOcean-blaming-Halliburton-blaming-BP and around and around it went. I was angry, too. Yet I marveled at how wonderfully convenient all the interlocking corporate entanglements were. Almost as if they'd drawn it up that way!

Well, everyone had a good time, yelling.

More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/opini ... l?src=tptw
The Few assume to be the deputies, but they are often only the despoilers of the Many.
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Aquarian

Postby CRISHOOKER2010 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Aquarian wrote:New York Times columnist Ross Douthat rather deftly packs the lion's share of free-floating discontent that I've been feeling into a sharp shot, contending that in this seemingly "populist moment" -- where public discontent appears to be in full flower -- behind the scenes, all of the existing power structures are essentially retrenching.

But look through these anti-establishment theatrics to the deep structures of political and economic power, and suddenly the surge of populism feels like so much sound and fury, obscuring the real story of our time. From Washington to Athens, the economic crisis is producing consolidation rather than revolution, the entrenchment of authority rather than its diffusion, and the concentration of power in the hands of the same elite that presided over the disasters in the first place.

Douthat goes on to cite copious examples: the sturdy persistence of "too big to fail" institutions, President Barack Obama's retention of the unitary executive powers that the Bush White House claimed as its own and the perverse way that the protege's of yesterday's failures remain in charge. Meet the new Committee to Save the World, same as the old Committee to Save the World.

I particularly like Douthat's use of the "sound and fury" metaphor. To make something of a cynical observation, it never ceases to amaze me just how good our society is at allowing the outlet of public catharsis. Tea Partiers get to march and rage and take a scalp or two. Legislators yell at bankers and corporate executives at the center of, say, massive oil spills. Everyone gets to vent, and once all that emotion is expended, the beat goes on. Party hacks like Dick Armey are ensuring that the Tea Party movement gets subsumed within the GOP establishment. And lawmakers put on a great show, beating up on the Goldman Sachses of the world, but nobody's really poised to bring down the House of Blankfein.

President Barack Obama was reportedly very "angry" after those Gulf oil spill hearings, and the spectacle of BP-blaming-TransOcean-blaming-Halliburton-blaming-BP and around and around it went. I was angry, too. Yet I marveled at how wonderfully convenient all the interlocking corporate entanglements were. Almost as if they'd drawn it up that way!

Well, everyone had a good time, yelling.

More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/opini ... l?src=tptw

Well I have no idea what the tea partiers are doing all I can see is that they do not have a central point of control and it may truly be a grass roots movement
CRISHOOKER2010

Postby The_Joker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:16 pm

I think the Republican Tea Party Movement is organized and yes it is a grass roots movement based on three words from the preamble of the US Constitution being "We the people" ;)
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby BloodStone » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:52 am

Go figure, it takes a guy from down under to see what this movment is about.

rock on Joker !!! :mrgreen:

BloodStone...
If it were raining hookers, I'd get hit by a fag.
BloodStone

Postby The_Joker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:32 pm

No worries mate, we need a few tea parties of our own down here too. Make no mistake about that.
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
The_Joker

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:18 pm

People should demand better government. The problem is that old money is also old power and they've got their fingers in the politicians head, pushing buttons and pulling strings. Lazy old rich people who just want to hang on to their wealth and don't mind sacrificing the future of our country (as well as others) are calling the shots. That's how we got the bailouts. It was government corruption that ultimately made companies like Chase, Citi, BOA, Capital One, Fannie/Freddie, and the home builders the giants they are by forcing lending to people who couldn't afford it. They caused Americans to rack up so much debt that it tanked the whole economy. And until that debt is paid down, the economy is going nowhere.

The GW crowd is a case study in old money looking for a new scam and pushing lies on the world to make it work. They're angry that their legislation failed and are trying to regroup now. They thought it would be an easy sell. Who doesn't want a cleaner planet? Who cares if we have a permanent 15% unemployment? Just looking out for #1.
CodeBlackv2

Postby Cole_Trickle » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:25 pm

CodeBlackv2 sez:
. That's how we got the bailouts. It was government corruption that ultimately made companies like Chase, Citi, BOA, Capital One, Fannie/Freddie, and the home builders the giants they are by forcing lending to people who couldn't afford it. They caused Americans to rack up so much debt that it tanked the whole economy. And until that debt is paid down, the economy is going nowhere.

Actually it was the Bush administration's easing of lending rules that caused, or shall I say set the wheels in motion, for the so called housing/lending crisis. This allowed people to be able to borrow money who would have never been able to under the old rules. Once it became apparent that many of these loans would fail, the smart IB's came up with a plan, it was called " CREDIT DEFAULT SWAPS "

Now I get this from someone I'm very very close to who works in the industry doing several hundred -k deals, up to several 10's of millions of $ deals, 100's of millions in some instances.

No CODE they don't hold guns to peoples heads forcing them to sign on the bottom line, that's flat out bogus propaganda. The closest thing to that are the shady Lenders who embellished a clients credit apps---that's a generic term, pros call them Financial STATEMENTS.

These bogus deals where then packaged and sold in gobs to Banks who did very poor due diligence and ended up " CHARGING OFF " "WRITING OFF " Millions per Q in losses due to the bogus loans. The FBI started investigating these while Bush was still in the Oval Office. It's all on record.

The Bailouts were a direct result of the Credit Default swaps which were backed BY AIG's insurance arm---and since AIG was a Multi-National, one that insured BILLIONS IN TOTAL of these swaps ( swaps that were useless from the first jump ) Well you can now do the math and see how the house of cards was destined to fail.

Did you 4 get Bush and his famous " Just go shopping statement?

I'll not get into JP Morgan and the infamous Goldman Sachs. I'd prefer not wasting John's bandwidth over something so obvious.

A local Bank took the TARP money ( even though they didn't need it ) Local paper publicized it and when the locals found out they started calling in saying " YOU GOT YOUR BAILOUT WHERE'S MINE " rotflmao The Bank could and would pay it back whereas those calling in ( probably not ) and sadly some had/have no intention---That's the absolute problem, along with complete ignorance of the ARM structured loan.

This whole mess caused these banks ( GOOD WELL CAPITALIZED BANKS ) to tighten lending and effectively hurt the good small business owners, THOSE who sometimes use 30 day capital lines for employee payroll---something lost on Bush, ALL a bit above his e-con teams collective heads. No lines of credit due to interest rate increases and sooner or later layoffs, and closed businesses.

Shall I go on?

Bring Em All Home Cole

PS. I see where the old guard is getting ready to back 50 plus Tea Party candidates. Any comment in that regard? Know who they are?
Cole_Trickle

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Bush didn't have anything to do with it. It was the banking queen and friends that setup legislation to force lenders to lend. They created Fannie & Freddie to compete other lenders out of business if they didn't play ball with the gov. You don't have to hold a gun to someone's head. All you have to do is offer them something they normally couldn't get. If you grew up in a 1 room shanty with no running water or electricity and someone came along and said that you could afford a $350,000 house would you say no? They don't care if they have to default.
CodeBlackv2

Postby sandra » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:57 pm

CodeBlackv2 wrote:People should demand better government. The problem is that old money is also old power and they've got their fingers in the politicians head, pushing buttons and pulling strings. Lazy old rich people who just want to hang on to their wealth and don't mind sacrificing the future of our country (as well as others) are calling the shots.

Thats about it CodeBlack.

Its on the Right its on the Left, and the Tea Party is no more than just another
attempt for control by the big money and for the big money. Its all about monies mascarading as some movement people will Buy.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby CodeBlackv2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:03 pm

If the Tea Party is legit then you can expect there will be a saboteur. Someone who looks really appealing, gets support from the TP, then turns out to be Hitler or something. Its how these political party things go. DEMS know all the dirty tricks. Ask Nixon. I think the TP is mostly legit. Its a grass roots movement. Those always piss off someone. Not too often do you see conservative GRMs. It shows how disenchanted people are with the status quo of the DEM/REP duopoly.

Remember the Libertarians a few years ago when they suddenly got real popular. Next thing you saw was them having big, embarrassing fights on TV. Yeah, nobody saw that coming. :roll:
CodeBlackv2

Next

Return to World Politics

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts