The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

how many sides to silver dollar?

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby sheye » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:57 pm

POP quiz.....do you have the answer?
sheye

Postby sheye » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:01 pm

ok ok..I'll let the answer out of the bag,if you all insist to know my answer of what the cat would say

there are 3..2 sides being the ones back to back that face each other..the 3rd being the side that rolls around trying to make sense of the 2 :lol: :lol:

I thought it was funny....just made it up..think its worth a bit of dough,considering I'm not a cat :lol: ..but then again some cat must have thought of it along time ago, and I could be becoming telepathic

working on it 8-)

I might give up though on the telepathic stuff though ,its tricky
(sighs) in japanese

EDIT: this post has been edited for reasons of no malicious intent
sheye

Postby greeney2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 pm

What are the names of the sides?
greeney2

Postby Wing-Zero » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:56 pm

Two sides of course. One side is clever and original, and the other is a COPYCAT. :lol:
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby greeney2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 am

There is a numismatic name for the sides in coin collecting. The obverse and the reverse side. The obverse is always the dated side. The 3rd side is called the edge. Edges with designs are called reeded edges.
greeney2

Postby sheye » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:45 am

There is a numismatic name for the sides in coin collecting. The obverse and the reverse side. The obverse is always the dated side. The 3rd side is called the edge. Edges with designs are called reeded edges.

thankyou for sharing that greeney,are you a coin collector?

because if you are I have a question for you.

I have a few coins,nothing to special in my mind,but I've collected odd ones,been given some,and "invested" in some, was going to "sell" them all off at some point,and am thinking about it seriously still.

Phoned a coin dealership here in "toon town",and ended up talking to rather an informative coin trader buyer.This is how he told me it works in that business ..he said bring your coins in...write a number down that you think they are worth to you.(we won't look at it)..we write a number down that we are willing to pay....(I can't see)....damn I can't remember the order of the rest of the deal.(hate getting old ,memory is bad,but I think it was when I was young as well,so thats no excuse)..

would you happen to know the way coin traders/dealers work?

Could use some advice,cause i don't think my kids want them,they are moving around to much to take care of that stuff at this point in their lives
any suggestions,most are probably newly minted,and not worth much,how would i find out what they may be worth?

tell you what I'll trade them all to someone for an apple tree(kidding..sorta),I'd just need a good place to plant the tree,and i don't have that,so
sheye

Postby sheye » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 am

I'd be almost willing to give them away for free,and can I ask you for another favor,

I believe that you do believe that you believe in a loving God,could you please pray for my ex husband,I know something is troubling him very deeply,trying to get him to talk about it,so it might help,but he doesn't want to talk, i feel like something that is way bigger than i can understand at the moment is happening ,and not just me maybe dying of cancer,(cause I've told him that, but something worse,like hes been the victim of blackmail,or something weird,and its really bothering me,I don't know,its strange,and maybe,I'm just all fcked up,I really hope thats the case,cause it would be a lot easier to handle.

please pray for the situation to be resolved in some way,it realy hurts to feel his energy right now,and I can't put my finger on what it is,but I know,something is wrong.

thanks...I really need some spiritual support right now

thanks for the info on the coins
sheye

Postby greeney2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 am

Sheye my father in law who is passed away not was an avid coin collecter. I would be very careful with coin dealers because they alway want to buy complete lots for peanuts. they all will tell you a sob story about how overstocked they are and how this is all you can get for them. Since you are from Canada are your coins Canadian or US coins? I think Canadian coins have some very nice designs. Canadian dollars I really think are beautiful. My Father in law also collected them. My sister in law sold off his collections for his expenses in his final years, and got pretty well screwed in the process.

The value of your coins is condition and rarity, and age. Even unciruclated coins( a coin that has never been in circulation or touched) have a grading system, forisnstance some strikes resulted in greater detail, the presence of mint luster, and the number of knicks. Coins are shipped in bags from the mints. Silver dollars hit each other, so get kincked by the other coins and they call these bag marks. Coins are graded by 2 systems, one is a numeical system, and the other is by a named grade. Uncirculated coins range from a MS60-to MS70, and the criteria for each is defined in grading books. Also grading of circulated coins has a number system, but more common is a system of defining the wear on the coins. Those grades are called about good, good, very good, fine, very fine, extra fine, and about uncirulated. You can buy grading books that have wonderful pictures of examples to grade with. In a good grade the wear will be so bad that the date is barly visible, and other details are worn smooth. In an extra fine the coin will have wear, but the details will still be distinct.

There can be a great difference in value between grades, especially if the coin is a key date. Every coin has a specific number minted, and in years where they were not mintied in great quanity, those are the key coins in a set, and usually the ones never filled in your coin books. In US lincoln head pennies, the 1909S VDB is the main key, where even a good is worth $500, where the 1909VDB is only worth $10. One was minted in San Francisco and rare, the Philidelphia one is more common. One grade difference could make a huge value difference, because coins of certain eras didn;t wear well, and the hard times people didn;t collect them, so high grades end up a more premium price.

Its like old Mickey Mantle baseball cards, which I know I had as a kid, The ones the survived in mint condition are rare, becasuse kids stuck them in their back pockets, and they got bent and worn.

My suggestion is to goto the library and see if they have coin grading books. Grade your coins, and look up every date and mint mark. You may have nothing great value wise, but you may also find a rare date. Believe me, those coin dealers know how to scan a lot and their eye goes right to key material, so I would not trust them at all. You may also look at ebay to compare values of coins that may match yours. Handle your coins by the edges and if they are uncirculated avoid touched the face surfaces with bare hands. What ever you do never clean coins or scrub them, never try to use polish on them. Any coin collector can spot a cleaned coin and it plummets the value. In some cases you can render them culls to collectors by damaging them with cleaning.
greeney2

Postby greeney2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:01 am

You may also pick up a copy of coin world at your local coin dealer, and a few magazines the will have lists is values by dates and grades. When you see a chart listing various sets and see the differences of prices between grades, you will learn a lot about your values.

Hope that helps.
greeney2

Postby sheye » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 pm

thanks for the wealth of info (no pun intended), on the topic greeney, I'm just happy I know what both sides and the edges are called....I think its way cool that I know that now.

I want to absorb the rest of the info,and thats a lot of really good info on the topic.
Should almost pay you for it, they charge people so much to learn things in schools these dayz.
I sorta figured I would be taken
if I followed this dudes advice,and he said most coin traders work that way...lol (shrugs)...but I basically knew I was waaaay to dumb on the subject of coins....and I think he probably knew that right off considering I phoned ,and asked him how I would go about it.
I would have written 500 , down,when he knew it to perhaps 100 times that value...I'm sure there must be sites on line,as well
I guess value is perspective in emotional value to some as well
I know a woman who has the penny that was in her fathers pocket the day he died.

don't think she'd trade that for anything, not even 1000 ounces of gold

curious, do you think the coins ,would be more valuable , or less valuable with my finger prints on them... ;) that was a silly joke meant to make you smile..you don't have to answer..I might know what you'd say, but I'm far from telepathic :( ...workin on it 8-)

Thank you for saving me from a royal rip off, can I put you on my friends list? mean that sincerely, just to dumb, to know how to do it,..

(sighs)I hate computers,yet I love the communcation of them, what frustrates me is my lack of knowledge and understanding how they work
(sighs again)multilingually
sheye

Next

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts