The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

Defense secretary Gates fires general in charge of JSF

Discuss the War on Terrorism, Homeland Security, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea and other global terrorist concerns.

Postby rath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 am

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Secretary of Defense replaces general in charge of strike fighter program

Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, losing patience with the Pentagon's most expensive weapons system, said Monday that he would fire the general in charge of the Joint Strike Fighter program and withhold $614 million from the contractor, Lockheed Martin.

The Joint Strike Fighter, also known as the F-35 Lightning II, is touted as the future centerpiece of the U.S. military's approach to waging war in the skies. But its development has already been plagued by billions of dollars in cost overruns and what Gates called "a troubling performance record."

Gates said he was replacing Marine Maj. Gen. David R. Heinz, the executive officer in charge of the Joint Strike Fighter's development. He declined to identify Heinz's successor but said it would be a person of higher rank -- the equivalent of a three-star general -- to reflect the importance of the program.

Gates's announcement came as a surprise on the day the Obama administration unveiled its proposed 2011 budget for the Pentagon and other federal agencies. The administration is seeking $708 billion for the military, including $159 billion for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The White House also said Monday that it would ask Congress for an additional $33 billion this year to fund Obama's decision to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan.

Gates has repeatedly sent high-ranking officers packing for what he has called poor performance.

In May, he fired the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. David McKiernan. In June 2008, he ousted Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Michael Moseley after a B-52 was accidentally loaded with nuclear missiles and flown across the country without anyone realizing the mistake. In 2007, he fired Army Secretary Francis J. Harvey after articles in The Washington Post exposed problems at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.


"If I've set one tone at the Department of Defense, it's that when things go wrong, people will be held accountable," Gates told reporters Monday.

Richard Fontaine, a senior fellow with the Center for a New American Security, said Gates's emphasis on accountability has been well-received on Capitol Hill, where legislators so far have largely been willing to defer to his recommendations on controversial weapons programs.

"There's a sense that he's minding the store," said Fontaine, a former aide to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Despite the problems with the F-35, the Obama administration is asking Congress to provide $11.4 billion overall for the Joint Strike Fighter program next year, including $8.4 billion to buy 43 planes.

Gates visited Lockheed's Joint Strike Fighter plant in Fort Worth, Tex., last August and gave positive reviews of the plane's progress at the time. Asked what had happened to change his mind, he told reporters, "It was clear there were more problems than I was aware of when I visited Fort Worth." He did not elaborate.

He said he would withhold $614 million in performance bonuses from Lockheed, the prime contractor for the plane, for missing various benchmarks. "The taxpayer should not have to bear the entire burden of getting the JSF program back on track."

He said Lockheed had agreed with his decision. A spokeswoman for Bethesda-based Lockheed declined to comment.

Gates also said that he thought the program was now on solid ground. "I would say there are no insurmountable problems, technological or otherwise, with the F-35," he said. "We are in a position to move forward with this program in a realistic way."


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... rss_nation
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby rath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:04 am

Pentagon withholds cash from jet company PETER VENESS

February 3, 2010.

AAP

The Joint Strike Fighter program is facing fresh drama with the Pentagon again withholding money from the makers of the stealth fighter jet.

Australia will buy 14 of the jets from the United States and may purchase up to 100 in a bid to build four squadrons and maintain its regional air superiority.

"The progress and performance of the F-35 (JSF) over the past two years has not been what it should," US Secretary of Defence Robert Gates told reporters in Washington DC on Monday.

The Pentagon will withhold $US614 million ($A689 million) in performance fees from lead contractor Lockheed Martin in another attempt to get development of the jet back on track.

Mr Gates went so far as to sack General David Heinz, who has been in charge of the program.

General Heinz will be replaced by a three-star general.

His actions were endorsed by Defence Minister John Faulkner.

"The Australian government welcomes the decisive action taken overnight by the United States government to reduce risk in the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program," he said in a statement.

The staged acquisition of the jets has protected taxpayers from the massive risk of buying the planes worth as much as $100 million each, he said.

Australia has already been forced to buy Super Hornets to fill the capability gap between the retirement of the F1-11 bombers and F/A-18 Hornet fighter-bombers and the arrival of the first JSF in about 2014.

"Significant cost and schedule buffers were built into Australia's project in anticipation of the steps announced in the US today," Senator Faulkner said.

The JSF remains in development with no aircraft yet in service and none flying with the complete array of fully operational mission systems.

In 2012 the government will decide on additional aircraft to make up three operational squadrons and one for training, totalling 72 aircraft.

The first squadron won't be ready to fly until 2018.

A fourth squadron, taking the total number of aircraft to around 100, will be considered later.

Senator Faulkner previously promised to watch the program closely.

"As is to be expected with such a large and complex project, the JSF will continue to face risks.

"Australia will continue to work closely with the US and other international partners to closely manage these risks and ensure the success of the JSF Program.

Those international partners include Britain, Italy, Turkey and Canada.

© 2010 AAP
Image
rath
 
Posts: 4345
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am


Return to The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest