The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

Rolls Royce £30b jet engine deal 'to be axed in US'

Discuss the War on Terrorism, Homeland Security, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea and other global terrorist concerns.

Postby rath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:11 am

02 Feb 2010

Rolls Royce is facing the scrapping of a major jet engine deal set to earn the company and its partners £30 billion over the next 20 years.

Despite strong lobbying by the British company over the past six months, Robert Gates, the US defence secretary, and President Barack Obama are determined to axe the proposed second engine for the Joint Strike Fighter jet programme.

The planes are set to become standard issue for the US, Britain and several other European countries over the coming decades.

Congress has already resisted one effort by the White House and Pentagon to cut the second engine, which Rolls Royce is developing with General Electric, in a bid to keep the promise of jobs in the US. Loss of the contract could also deprive Britain of hundreds or thousands of jobs.

Supporters of the second engine say it encourages efficiency and competition, but opponents say it has run over cost and behind schedule and was always a luxury. The main engine is being built by Pratt & Whitney.

Other British firms are involved in the F-35, which is a multi-national project involving eight countries.

A spokesman for the British embassy in Washington said: "We appreciate the strong US support for the JSF programme, which remains a central part of UK plans, and in which we have a considerable investment.

"Continued funding for the second engine programme is, as ever, a matter for discussion between the administration and Congress in the context of this year's US defence budget. But we continue to believe in the competitive advantages of a second engine."
rath

Postby greeney2 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 am

GOOD!

Thats one of the first good things I've seen from the Obama Administration. Americans should not spend a dime farming out a single military contract out of this country. Absolutely every single part down to the rivits should only be allowed to be made inside the United States.

Thats our problem, we have allowed every corperation to outsourse labor to other countries, and we wonder why our unemployment rate is 12% and in places 3 times that amount. Definatly zero defence contract money should be allowed to outsoursed.
greeney2

Postby rath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:56 pm

greeney2, my guess would be that if the USA had anything even close to that of the Rolls Royce jet engine, that the USA would have used it to start with.

Right.
rath

Postby greeney2 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Wrong! The USA has several Jet engine builders. GE and Pratt/Whitney to start with.
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:12 pm

This is a very dangerous game to play and I don't think the Half-Caste has the Bollocks to play it either. To the normal person this would be a good thing for the US but in the long run this will do nothing but damage it.

The EU trades as one body. If too many of these deals are canceled then the EU will withdraw their deals and turn to China, thereby hurting US industry in the long run.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing though. Although I will ask G2 one question. Can we have our Companies back please? If you wish for your Isolationist policies to return then we (the world) want the companies you bought to be returned back to us...we would also like you to take Rupert Merdoc back.

How many jobs are Yank owned Companies Cutting here only to employ people in Poland and China? Probably a lot.

Isolation policies hurt in the long run G2.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby rath » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 am

greeney2 wrote:Wrong! The USA has several Jet engine builders. GE and Pratt/Whitney to start with.

just that they must be, inferior.

Or else they would have won the contract to start with.
rath

Postby greeney2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:36 pm

No Rath, the government like to have multiple suppliers. They are not inferior in any way. All 3 companies are totally competent, and would be building to a spec provided. P/W or GE engines have a long long history of quality Jet engines.
greeney2

Postby mael » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:27 am

I heard that if the buyer wanted the best then they'd get US engines. If they couldn't afford them then it was European engines and if they were stumped then they'd take a Russian one.

I don't know where RR fits into all that. I think they are in a league of their own. Excellent engines by any standards.

Other than that I don't have a dog in this fight.
mael

Postby rath » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:26 am

greeney2 wrote:No Rath, the government like to have multiple suppliers. They are not inferior in any way. All 3 companies are totally competent, and would be building to a spec provided. P/W or GE engines have a long long history of quality Jet engines.

yes ...... as is the case in every bussiness.

You go with the best there is .......

But you keep 1 or 2 backups in case.

P/W & GE where the backups no doubt.

& ill bet you a thousand dollars to a peanut' that im right.
rath

Postby greeney2 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 am

I worked for Pratt/Whitney when they bought out Rocketdyne from Boeing. my favorite peanut butter is crunchy laura scudders. You are incorrect about the quality of P/W jet engines.
greeney2

Next

Return to The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts