The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Cannibalism in religion and culture

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby Lashmar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:03 am

Yes this is a new version of the old one but with two slight differences A) This is about all religions and cultures B) I’ll have the mods lock it if it get’s to the stage of the last one, and trust me I will.

I find it interesting just how many cultures include Cannibalism in them. Almost all cultures around the world has involved Cannibalism in them at one time or another, I’m not sure about the Aussies or Chinese though.

It’s amazing how cultures so far apart share the same sort of ideas. The Wendigo appears in both in the Americans and in Europe. The Mayans or Aztecs (I have bugger all knowledge about those two so I’m stretching my self here :lol: ) believed that by eating the leader of the tribe they defeated they would consume his powers, it is a belief that was still held in some of the Pacific Islands.

I would love to find out more about the beliefs; like did they eat just the most powerful man or did they eat normal tribes-people as well? When these beliefs started to appear in human culture and what they are today, how they’ve evolved as the years has gone by and as the culture has changed as well. My knowledge of history is limited almost entirely to Prehistoric Britain so this should be fun.

I want to learn about something...if you want to argue bugger off because I'm not having it.
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby greeney2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:28 am

I want to learn about something...if you want to argue bugger off because I'm not having it.

Lashmar, I'm going to tell you what I told Sheye in a PM. You are not a moderator, and you as author of any post, do not have policing rights, or ownership rights. If you post something, it belongs to the board and anyone can post replies. It is the moderators job to moderate! You may report a post using your report button Lashmar.

As far as this new post goes--keep this one civil or the Moderators will issue warnings or lock the topic, or both, not you.
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:40 am

greeney2 wrote:

Lashmar, I'm going to tell you what I told Sheye in a PM. You are not a moderator, and you as author of any post, do not have policing rights, or ownership rights. If you post something, it belongs to the board and anyone can post replies. It is the moderators job to moderate! You may report a post using your report button Lashmar.

I never stated I owned the post I merely said that if you don't want to learn about something then don't bother posting. That is not policing nor claiming ownership of anything but that is saying that I'm not interested in fighting. Do you have a problem with someone saying very clearly that they do not want fighting on there thread?
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby greeney2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 pm

B) I’ll have the mods lock it if it get’s to the stage of the last one, and trust me I will.

Back to your topic now! enough said!
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Well said.

Do you have any thoughts on this matter G2?
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby greeney2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Yes, the concept that Communion is cannibalism is ludicras!
greeney2

Postby Lashmar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Oddly I didn't seem to mention anything about that.

Do I report you now or in a minuet? :P :lol: :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Medusa » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Interesting topic Lash babes..................

Did you know that Cannibalism didnt disappear till after Christianty started ............ well so I read, but dont believe it .................

" Every Easter Islander knows that his ancestors were kai-tangata, 'man-eaters'. Some make jokes about it, others take offense at any allusion to this custom which has become in their eyes barbarous and shameful. According to Father Roussel, cannibalism did not disappear until after the introduction of Christianity. Shortly before this, the natives are said to have eaten a number of men, including two Peruvian traders. Cannibal feasts were held in secluded spots, and women and children were rarely admitted. The natives told Father Zumbohm that the fingers and toes were the choicest morsels.
The captives destined to be eaten were shut up in huts in front of the sanctuaries. There they were kept until the moment when they were sacrificed to the gods.

The Easter Islanders' cannibalism was not exclusively a religious rite or the expression of an urge for revenge: it was also induced by a simple liking for human flesh that could impel a man to kill for no other reason than his desire for fresh meat. (Man was the only large mammal whose flesh was available) Women and children were the principal victims of these inveterate cannibals. The reprisals that followed such crimes were all the more violent because an act of cannibalism committed against the member of a family was a terrible insult to the whole family. As among the ancient Maoris, those who had taken part in the meal were entitled to show their teeth to the relatives of the victim and say, 'Your flesh has stuck between my teeth'. Such remarks were capable of rousing those to whom they were addressed to a murderous rage not very different from the Maly amok."

http://www.netaxs.com/~trance/rapanui.html
Dragonrider ATS R.I.P

My lust for you is like a fire
All it does is burn
It burns everything in sight
My lust for you is intense
All I do is think about you
The way you smell
The way you look
That's my lust for you.
Medusa

Postby _Billy_ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:34 pm

How about cannibalism at Stonehenge?
"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez" Let the Good Times Roll
_Billy_

Postby Medusa » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:45 pm

_Billy_ wrote:How about cannibalism at Stonehenge?

Stonehenge is the best known of prehistoric remains in the UK. It has stood on Salisbury Plain for about 4,000 years. There have been many different theories about its original use but no one is certain why it was built.

One theory is that it was a place from where stars and planets could be observed, so that the stones could be used as a calendar to predict eclipses.

At one time, people thought that Stonehenge was a Druid temple. The Druids were a Celtic religious group soon after the Roman Conquest. Some people believe that they were as medicine-men who practised human sacrifice and cannibalism. A group called the "Most Ancient Order of Druids " every year meet at Stonehenge to greet the first midsummer sunlight and they lay out symbolic elements of fire, water, bread, salt and a rose.

Another interesting theory is that the great stone circle was used to store terrestrial energy through "ley lines", which is the name given to invisible lines as a mysterious channel for a special kind of power or as a door used by UFOs (Unidentified flying objects).

Besides these theories here is a local legend : Stonehenge was built by the devil in a single night. He flew backwards and forwards between Ireland and Salisbury Plain carrying the stones one by one and setting them in place. As he worked, he laughed to himself. "That will make people think. They´ll never know how the stones came here!" But a friar was hiding in a ditch nearby. He surprised the devil, who threw a stone which hit the friar on the heel.
Dragonrider ATS R.I.P

My lust for you is like a fire
All it does is burn
It burns everything in sight
My lust for you is intense
The way you smell
The way you look
That's my lust for you.
Medusa

Next