The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Spider Medicine

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby sandra » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Spider Medicine

Spider is the weaver connecting the knowledge of the past with the possibilities of the future. Notice that the shape of the body loosely resembles the sign for infinity.

Also notice that the center of the web is always small (you), and the web ever expanding (your possibilities).

Spider cautions us not to get locked into the illusion that has made you what you think you are. Our behavior, and our belief systems, and our view of ourselves is locked into an illusion of who we truly are that was created for us by others; usually starting as a small child. As we grow, our life becomes a reflection of those illusions, and those of us who do not follow that pattern are "rebels" or "black sheep" or other terms that imply non-conformity.

We are locked into that illusion because it has become our "comfort zone", and it is our fears of the unknown and untested which keep us in that zone. It is far easier to live in the hell we know, than to stick our mental and emotional toes out into the world and chance discovering that there is another way which may be better for us.

Spider is telling us that the possibilities for each of us is only limited by our own view of ourselves. Notice that the web constantly grows, outward, still connected to that small center space. It is always reaching, always expanding, never satisfied with the status quo. When something of value get caught in the web, it is taken back to that small center and utilized; never wasted. It may be stored for later use, but it is never wasted.

The next time you come upon spider weaving its web, stop to really look. Notice the beauty and symmetry and balance; the careful and intricate design. Spider is telling you to have the courage to reach out and create your own tomorrows; to break out of the illusion that has you locked in a time-step, and discover who and what you truly are.

LINK

Spider Medicine has alot to do with Native American Spirituality, but I also do not forget that even though these teachings have to do with the spider.....I must remember the symbolism of the web, the teaching that everything is connected, infact grandmother spider is known as the source for spider medicine, she is the master weaver so to speak. It is ancient knowledge, alot of times you will not hear about spider medicine, many tribes and native peoples do not have much reference for it anymore. Like many many years ago when it was a more conscious understanding. However anyone can have the gift of spider medicine. To me it represents the potency of thought creation, the delicasy and strength of a mind and will. The spider is potent. Its interesting how much they may also be useful to us physically as well.

"Possible medical uses for spider venoms are being investigated, for the treatment of cardiac arrhythmia,[87] Alzheimer's disease,[88] strokes,[89] and erectile dysfunction.[90]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider

Grandmother Spider Storys:
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jcu/grandmotherspider.htm

http://www.indigenouspeople.net/spider.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Grandmother

http://home.online.no/~arnfin/native/lore/leg098.htm
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby inja » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:27 pm

I didn't see it in the explanation you posted....might have read it too fast.

Spider is also considered to have created the very first alphabet so with making the dream of our world become manifested.
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby sandra » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Wow, realised my spider picture turned into an advertisement, did you see that Inja, lmao, wth did I do. :lol: ;)

hmm that is something that I did read, just earlier when I planned on posting this, and that is a great thing to bring up. I don't know much about the idea that the spider created the alphabet, or if there is a specific story or legend behind it? A meaning of a word lies in the sequence of its letters....I could totally see how that would relate to spider medicine. The tools for perfect sequencing of things.... :?:
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby inja » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 pm

I think if I remember right that she created the alphabet so that man could go beyond communicating with pics and instead record history with words because man is becoming more complex.

But you know I can't say I know that is the true story behind the story.......sometimes the reasons/explanations get warped and are expressed incorrectly. Not intentionally.

I have a particular story I love with the Turkey Vulture and not that long ago i was reading one that was fairly similar that incorporated the spider.

Spider advertisement....sorry missed that one. :D
inja

Postby sandra » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 am

inja wrote:I have a particular story I love with the Turkey Vulture and not that long ago i was reading one that was fairly similar that incorporated the spider.

Do you have any references to this story? I'd be super interested in reading it, the Turkey Vulture has alot of unknown symbolism as well. Its amasing how big they get further up north, alot of times they are mistaken for eagles. Alot of people call them the black eagle. Just like the Seagul, people will call them the White eagle. They are all vulture like after all. :mrgreen: But the Turkey Vulture reminds me of the Hawk, alot of forgotten knowledge.

Ahh yeah. I had the picture of the spider with the OP, and it turned into the site advertisement. :lol:
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi,

I love the Grandmother Spider story about her creating the alphabet.

I used to "read" runes, and got into a little Norse mythology. I loved the story of how the great god Odin hung upside down for three days in the tree { also called tree of life} inorder to get the first alphabet which were the Runes.

Item7

Postby inja » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:06 pm

Item7 wrote:Hi,

I love the Grandmother Spider story about her creating the alphabet.

I used to "read" runes, and got into a little Norse mythology. I loved the story of how the great god Odin hung upside down for three days in the tree { also called tree of life} inorder to get the first alphabet which were the Runes.

Item7

You might be interested in knowing that we all have the tree of life within us. Each time you take a breath you are breathing into your own tree of life which is your lungs. If you look at your lungs than you will see that it looks like an upside down tree. So in other words the gift of breath provides your personal tree of life with the gift of life.
inja

Postby inja » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 pm

sandra wrote:
inja wrote:I have a particular story I love with the Turkey Vulture and not that long ago i was reading one that was fairly similar that incorporated the spider.

Do you have any references to this story? I'd be super interested in reading it, the Turkey Vulture has alot of unknown symbolism as well. Its amasing how big they get further up north, alot of times they are mistaken for eagles. Alot of people call them the black eagle. Just like the Seagul, people will call them the White eagle. They are all vulture like after all. :mrgreen: But the Turkey Vulture reminds me of the Hawk, alot of forgotten knowledge.

Ahh yeah. I had the picture of the spider with the OP, and it turned into the site advertisement. :lol:

I'll post the story tomorrow. Can't find it online so will have to type it down. And it is late and I'm too lazy and tired right now. ;)
inja

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:48 am

Hi,
Inja, yes I have heard that. I think its interesting that so many religions have a tree in them.

Item7

Postby sandra » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:13 pm

ahh you sooo left me hangin. :lol: ;) ;)
Don't worry about Inja I'll be able to hunt it down!

Interesting, didn't relate that with our lungs, the tree of life.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts