The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Government and Political Conspiracies

Cover-up of food shortage

Throughout time, there have been countless government and political conspiracies that have kept us wondering. This forum is dedicated to that very topic. Got a conspiracy theory of your own? Post it, and try to back it up as best you can!

Postby sandra » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Government Cover-up of food shortage feared
Reports show demand growing, production declines estimated at 30%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: January 10, 2010
9:53 pm Eastern

© 2010 WorldNetDaily

While trend experts, economists and investment gurus have been predicting food shortages for some time, new evidence indicates the U.S. Department of Agriculture may be covering up the greatest food shortage in modern history.

Beginning in 2009, global agricultural markets faced a supply and demand imbalance, caused by a substantial drop in output resulting from the financial crisis and extreme weather around the world.

At the same time, growing economies in Asia have begun consuming record amounts of raw goods, particularly food staples as consumers move to higher protein, higher calorie diets. When supplies are reduced and demand is constant or growing, prices normally rise. Industry observers and economists remained mystified by the low agricultural prices in spite of this trend.

One analyst, Eric deCarbonnel from MarketSkeptics.com believes the answer is found in data he believes the U.S. Department of Agriculture has manipulated to keep food prices low.

"Instead of adjusting production estimates down to reflect decreased production, [the USDA] adjusted estimates upwards to match increasing demand from China. In this way, the USDA has brought supply and demand back into balance (on paper) and temporarily delayed a rise in food prices by ensuring a catastrophe in 2010," he said.

DeCarbonnel points out that across the Midwest United States, many counties already have been declared federal disaster areas, which is defined by a decrease in crop production of at least one type by 30 percent or more. Hundreds of other counties across the country have experienced crop failures of 10-20 percent, not enough to qualify as federal disaster areas but still contributing to the overall poor harvest.

In some states, including Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and Alabama, the majority of counties have been declared disaster areas, and yet the USDA is predicting record harvests.

DeCarbonnel's conclusion is that the government is intentionally covering up the nature of the food shortage because if the public realized the true extent of the crisis and/or prices rose dramatically, economies could collapse and governments could fall.

He's not alone in his claims, as researchers around the world are now publishing similar accusations.

Consumers in the United States are responding to the latest revelations with an unprecedented private-sector emergency preparedness plan. Websites such as SurvivalSeedBank.com are struggling to keep up with orders as people make plans to go "off-grid" in pursuit of food independence.

According to Bill Heid, spokesman for SurvivalSeedBank, demand for the company's "Full Acre Crisis Garden" product appears to be increasing.

Survival experts also note that one of the real risks of the current crisis is that consumers have become dependent on just-in-time delivery systems and retail stores that are hundreds or thousands of miles from food sources.

Stores have only an average of 72 hours of inventory on hand and very few families are capable of producing their own food, so even a temporary shortage of food supplies could be catastrophic.

Previous generations lived much closer to the food supply or grew their own vegetables and could therefore weather problems in the food distribution chain.

Heid explains why so many people now are focused on food independence and not just financial planning in the event of a collapse.

"In a real crisis, food will be more valuable than gold or silver. When you're hungry, gold or silver coins won't always help you, and the few people who have food may not be willing to trade for something which can't be easily converted. Open pollinated seeds are truly the ultimate barter item in a meltdown. It seems like folks are waking up to reality of some very dangerous market conditions ahead."

LINKHERE
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Medusa » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Hey Sandra

Was reading this article you posted and started doing abit of research meself and came across this article from last yr .............

The Coming World Famine: Will 2010 Be The Year The World Runs Out Of Food?

A "perfect storm" of circumstances is coming together that is leading many agriculture experts to predict that we will soon be experiencing a worldwide food crisis of unprecedented magnitude. Will 2010 be the year that the world runs out of food? Record setting droughts, exploding populations and crippling crop failures all over the world are combining to set the stage for a potentially devastating food crisis in the coming year.

Even in such technologically advanced times, the reality is that the food supply is not immune to droughts and plagues. Even the United States has been dramatically affected. Just consider the following examples.....

*All time record breaking heat and drought continues to plague the state of Texas. In fact, extreme drought conditions can be found in many agricultural areas throughout the United States this summer.

*If the drought conditions were not bad enough, a disease known as "late blight" is absolutely devastating tomato and potato plants in the eastern half of the United States. The prices for those two staple foods could shoot through the roof, hitting already hurting American consumers really hard.

*In addition, farmers all over the United States are reporting very disappointing harvests. For example, the very weak wheat harvest this year is seriously disappointing farmers across the state of Illinois.

But it is not just the U.S. that is experiencing serious agricultural problems. In fact, the news from the rest of the world is even more troubling.

*Agricultural scientists fear that Ug99, a devastating wheat fungus also known as stem rust, could wipe out over 80 percent of the world's wheat crop as it spreads out from Africa.

*Harvests all across the globe are frighteningly low. Just check out the following troubling reports from the Market Skeptics blog.....

------

1) Bulgaria harvest will be around 20% lower than last season's output.

2) Argentine farmers will plant just 2.6 million hectares of winter wheat for the 2009/10 season, a stunning 2.1 million less than was planted in 2008/09 (down nearly 45%).

3) Part of the reason behind lower plantings is a two fingered salute to the government and their export restrictions.

4) Brazil, the world's third largest wheat importer, bought 51,000 MT of US wheat last week, more than it bought in the entire first six months of the year.

5) With the Brazilian real strengthening against the dollar, Brazilian millers that are being forced to look for supplies are finding US wheat fitting the bill quite nicely.

6) Canadian crop development lags with 60% of winter grains are behind normal development. Spring grains development is even further behind, with 75% of crops affected.

7) Ukraine will only produce 35 MMT of grain this season, 35 percent less than last year.

8 ) 3.3 million hectares of the Russia’s spring crops have been badly damaged by drought. Production this year is seen lower at around 55-60 MMT from 63.7 MMT in 2008.

9) Sugar hit it's highest in three years last week.

10) The lack of monsoon rains in northern India was the main driver of the rally in sugar. World demand is outstripping supply by over six million tonnes at the moment, and India is set to potentially become the world's largest importer this year.

11) Spanish wheat output is now projected 32% lower this year at 3.8 MMT.

12) Rain is damaging crops in the UK and across Europe.

------

When you add up all of the recent agricultural news stories it means one thing: a massive food crisis is on the way.

Harvests around the world are going to be much smaller at a time when world demand for food is at an all-time high.

In other words, there are going to be food shortages.

Very serious food shortages.

Are you all starting to get the point.

In just a few months, the world is going to have a lot less food than what it needs. When people around the world find that they can't feed their families, there will likely be food riots that will make the food riots of 2008 look like a walk in the park.

In the United States, there will not be shortages of food - at least at first. But what this will mean is that there will be dramatic price increases at the supermarket.

Are you ready?

Now is the time to ensure that you and your family are prepared for the food crisis that is ahead.

http://theemergencyfoodsupply.com/archi ... ut-of-food
Dragonrider ATS R.I.P

My lust for you is like a fire
All it does is burn
It burns everything in sight
My lust for you is intense
All I do is think about you
The way you smell
The way you look
That's my lust for you.
Medusa

Postby rath » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:45 am

No food shortage.

It's just all being wasted om Bio Fuels .... & grown in other markets such as China.

ect ect.

No shortage ....... but your access to it has changes & you will be forced to pay more $$$ for it.
rath

Postby Medusa » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:48 am

rath wrote:No food shortage.

It's just all being wasted om Bio Fuels .... & grown in other markets such as China.

ect ect.

No shortage ....... but your access to it has changes & you will be forced to pay more $$$ for it.

Am with you there rath..................

As I am a manager of a supermarket, and the most basic things go up in price every wk as well.

But are wages etc don't go up at the same rate, and we have to fight like hell just to get a pay-raise nowadays .....................

Medusa
Dragonrider ATS R.I.P

All it does is burn
The way you smell
The way you look
That's my lust for you.
Medusa

Postby sandra » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 pm

I reckon you are right rath, however I still think food shortage is a concern of our future and time. If it isn't actual food shortage, its people going hungry because the food prices are rising, in my home State Minnesota alone, the statistics read that 30% of families with children are in serious need and lacking food or adequate nutrition, with Minnesotas statistics being on the low end for all states.

I'm looking for one of the surveys if they have them online besides through the national food statistics; their graphs suck.

A severe food shortage is on its way, according to well-regarded investor Jim Rogers. Food inventories are the lowest in decades and "[m]any farmers cannot get loans to buy fertilizer now, even though we have big shortages developing," Rogers said on CNBC.

For investors, that could mean a buying opportunity in commodities, in particular coffee and cotton, Rogers said. In fact, he says commodities are a much better buying opportunity than stocks right now.

For the rest of us, a food shortage could mean skyrocketing food prices. "Sometime in the next few years, we're going to have very serious shortages of food everywhere in the world and prices are going to go through the roof," he said.

--What in the world are the costs of fertilizer to begin with?!?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/investing/are-food-shortages-on-the-way-famed-investor-jim-rogers-thinks/19318780/

** Medusa thanks for adding another article to read. You must see changes first hand working at the grocery store, if its a smaller market they jack their prices even higher. When I lived up north the local market was sky high also because of fuel costs. Really makes a diffirence
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby rath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 am

Sandra .. im not saying your wrong.

Im just saying what shortages there are in the USA ... are not an issue for people in other countries, such as Australia.

From your link.

The Ebb and Flow of Food Prices

Food prices have certainly been on a wild ride recently. Over the past year, the iPath Dow Jones-AIG sugar ETF (SGG) has almost doubled in value and, in recent years, other commodities, like corn and coffee, have also shot up. Among the potential culprits are escalating oil prices, a rising standard of living in China and India, global warming, and dark prophesies by analysts about the pending food crisis. Some have even gone so far as to suggest that the government is covering up a pending disaster of near-biblical proportions.

The truth is a bit more complex and a lot less dire. In the case of sugar, the 2009 price increase was due to a few very controllable factors that decreased worldwide supply and pushed prices higher. India, a major sugar producer, cut cultivation after prices dropped in 2007 and 2008. Meanwhile, the world's top producer, Brazil, diverted sugar cane into ethanol production, further reducing worldwide supply. In America, this problem was exacerbated by the powerful sugar beet lobby, whose massive tariffs keep domestic sugar prices at roughly two to three times the global market rate.

I agree with what you said sandra in that its no a food shortage ... But rather a food access issue.

It's a matter of food security The USA has already lost that war ....

But Australia is doing its best to stay in control of its own food supplies.

After all Australia is amoungst the largest produces of food comodities in the world.

Everything from beef, lamb, Dairy products, grains, to honey bees & honey products.

Oh & sugar.

http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2010/01/1 ... r-csr.html

http://www.financialpost.com/opinion/br ... id=2493236

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... .Le11IRUqI
rath

Postby rath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:49 am

Medusa wrote:Am with you there rath..................

As I am a manager of a supermarket, and the most basic things go up in price every wk as well.

But are wages etc don't go up at the same rate, and we have to fight like hell just to get a pay-raise nowadays .....................

Medusa

True that.

& big supermarket are the worst, they cut wages, buy cheep food from China / India ect ect
jack up the prices of food at home.

sit back & watch their profits go up .........

As all the farmers go bust & sell the farm to property investors' who then turn the farm land into high rise buildings.

& in turn ........ have the gall to complain, when the likes of China turn around and Jack up the prices they charge the big supermarket from the west, coz China knows that they are in the hot seat now.
rath

Postby rath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:58 am

rath

Postby Medusa » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:40 am

rath wrote:
True that.

& big supermarket are the worst, they cut wages, buy cheep food from China / India ect ect
jack up the prices of food at home.

sit back & watch their profits go up .........

As all the farmers go bust & sell the farm to property investors' who then turn the farm land into high rise buildings.

& in turn ........ have the gall to complain, when the likes of China turn around and Jack up the prices they charge the big supermarket from the west, coz China knows that they are in the hot seat now.

Yes this is very true too a certain point hun.........................

Although the company I work for, was the first retail food chain to start "Fairtrade" (a fair price for a fairs day work etc).......................

And depending on where the stores are, believe it or not the the price's change on certain products...................they take into account the area the store is located in and the profit it makes each yr..................

Which isnt always good, as then next yr they expect you too take more that wk (budget etc) but the wage budget doesnt really go up at all...................

Medusa
Dragonrider ATS R.I.P

All it does is burn
The way you smell
The way you look
That's my lust for you.
Medusa

Postby rath » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Medusa wrote:Yes this is very true too a certain point hun.........................

Although the company I work for, was the first retail food chain to start "Fairtrade" (a fair price for a fairs day work etc).......................

And depending on where the stores are, believe it or not the the price's change on certain products...................they take into account the area the store is located in and the profit it makes each yr..................

Which isnt always good, as then next yr they expect you too take more that wk (budget etc) but the wage budget doesnt really go up at all...................
Medusa

"Fairtrade" (a fair price for a fairs day work etc).......................

It sounds like a scam to me Medusa.

Ill take the minimum federal award any day.

the standard ( AUSTRALIAN ) Federal Minimum Wage (FMW) is $14.31 per hour.
($543.78 per week);

or $28,276.56

not bad if you work at KFC or Subway ............ ect ect.

& keep in mind, thats the Minimum Wage.

It only goes up from there.
rath

Next

Return to Government and Political Conspiracies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts