The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Scientists and God

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby sandra » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:35 pm

humphreys wrote:Which beliefs? Do you mean my lack of beliefs regarding god?

Of course, I am like everyone else in that the confidence that I am right or wrong varies.

However, if anything, I might question whether there is a creator or a higher power, but I never really waver in my belief that the big religions are false. None of them really ring true to me in a big enough way to make me honestly wonder if they are correct. I might even go so far as to wonder about the existence of a personal God, but again, not one who really resembles the Gods of any religions out there that I know of.


Your response to my questions are respectable. So you are still in search of God even though you lack belief, is that correct?
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
User avatar
sandra
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:27 pm
Location: Minnesota US

Postby humphreys » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:01 am

No I don't think that's an accurate statement. I am open to the possibility that a creator of some kind exists, but I'm no longer actively in search of that creator. I am, however perfectly happy to review any new evidence anyone may have.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
User avatar
humphreys
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Inside your head.

Postby bionic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:32 am

I wrote
The heart isn't just some biological machine that pumps blood.
There is more to it than that.



Mrs. Humphreys responded...
Yes, actually, it is "just" some biological machine that pumps blood.


A man gets a heart transplant and begins craving the food his donor craved,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... donor.html

A man gets a heart transplant and goes on to commit suicide in the exact way his donor did,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... y-way.html

those are just wo examples of a common phenominon...

"just a pump"
I think not

don't get me wrong..I think a simple pump could do it's job..pump blood.

Heck, didn't some doctor even invent an artificial heart years ago?


But a heart is more than that..it's a living organism..made up of living tissue..cells..it's connected to a person's mind in some way...to their spirit..
all of there body is...beyond simple anatomy (or at least KNOWN anatomy, at this point)

I think, anyway (But I am a deep believer in chi and meridians, auras and such)..the body electric..neurons)
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
User avatar
bionic
 
Posts: 9889
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby sandra » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 am

humphreys wrote:No I don't think that's an accurate statement. I am open to the possibility that a creator of some kind exists, but I'm no longer actively in search of that creator. I am, however perfectly happy to review any new evidence anyone may have.


You don't keep an eye open so to speak?

So what do you take 'belief' in God as? Hope? For instance when you look at the things I have said about God and my beliefs, which are different, how do you sum those up? What is your opinion of them and how do you understand them? Do you compare beliefs?
Edit: Answer that in which ever way you can.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
User avatar
sandra
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:27 pm
Location: Minnesota US

Postby humphreys » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 am

sandra wrote:
humphreys wrote:No I don't think that's an accurate statement. I am open to the possibility that a creator of some kind exists, but I'm no longer actively in search of that creator. I am, however perfectly happy to review any new evidence anyone may have.


You don't keep an eye open so to speak?

So what do you take 'belief' in God as? Hope? For instance when you look at the things I have said about God and my beliefs, which are different, how do you sum those up? What is your opinion of them and how do you understand them? Do you compare beliefs?
Edit: Answer that in which ever way you can.


Sorry, I don't really see where this is leading.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
User avatar
humphreys
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Inside your head.

Postby humphreys » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:42 am

bionic wrote:A man gets a heart transplant and begins craving the food his donor craved,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... donor.html

A man gets a heart transplant and goes on to commit suicide in the exact way his donor did,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... y-way.html


When a link between the heart and the mind etc has been proved apart from some unverified isolated incidents that could be explained by coincidence and other means, we can talk, but unil then, these two newspaper cases are not proof of anything.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
User avatar
humphreys
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Inside your head.

Postby sandra » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:50 am

humphreys wrote:
sandra wrote:
humphreys wrote:No I don't think that's an accurate statement. I am open to the possibility that a creator of some kind exists, but I'm no longer actively in search of that creator. I am, however perfectly happy to review any new evidence anyone may have.


You don't keep an eye open so to speak?

So what do you take 'belief' in God as? Hope? For instance when you look at the things I have said about God and my beliefs, which are different, how do you sum those up? What is your opinion of them and how do you understand them? Do you compare beliefs?
Edit: Answer that in which ever way you can.


Sorry, I don't really see where this is leading.


THAT was the entire point. :mrgreen:
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
User avatar
sandra
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:27 pm
Location: Minnesota US

Postby humphreys » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:52 am

sandra wrote:THAT was the entire point. :mrgreen:


I don't get it...
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
User avatar
humphreys
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Inside your head.

Postby greeney2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:31 am

Lets just change this years Valentine's Day cards, and replace all the hearts, with romantic looking brains. That way more scientists may send one to their soulmates. :lol:
greeney2
 
Posts: 9632
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am

Postby humphreys » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:14 pm

It's funny what strange ideas the primitive humans many years ago implanted in our minds, that have stuck even to today. The heart is an example of this.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
User avatar
humphreys
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Inside your head.

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 292 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests