The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Yoga studio, or cult?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby mrshumphreys » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Yes, I realize that one of these links is to a woman's magazine.
I happen to have bought an issue of this particular magazine last week, and read this article then.
A friend posted a link to the CNN video today, so I thought I'd bring it up here for everyone to discuss.

Basically, it's about a lawsuit by former practitioners claiming that this international chain of yoga studios is actually a cult. The article is pretty long (8 pages) and there isn't much in it that the CNN clip doesn't touch on, but I'll give you both and you can choose your poison, if you're interested.

article:
Thousands of young women have turned to the popular Dahn Yoga practice, and many say they love it. But now some former members are making shocking charges of greed, psychological manipulation and sexual assault. Who’s right?

http://www.glamour.com/magazine/2009/12/the-scary-yoga-obsession

CNN clip:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2010/01/06/brown.yoga.cult.part.1.cnn
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby sandra » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 pm

Very intersting (oh and I love glamour mags :mrgreen: with comfort foods when need be).
These are things I like seeing brought to light, they are actually more diabolical then perceived. Meaning there are layers upon layers of deception and misunderstanding with these types of groups. For one, when people are given spiritual enlightment, it is not to be used in self gain situation, sadly, this experience can be unavoidable at times to ensure we learn what isn't for self gain (ego driven). Now sometimes (instructors/teachers) of said tools to strengthen another persons belief in anything, do not realise, and are unaware, that at the time, they actually do not posess any skills to do such a thing. That sounds ridiculously simple, although there are people out there that believe their intent is in the right place, (there ego would not want to believe otherwise) even when they are manipulating and stalling true growth or enlightment. They end up confusing people, including themselves.

Listen as far fetched as it sounds, the people who chose to be involved in this group have accountability as well. You cannot place faith that someone else will guide you to truth or enlightment, things like this is what will happen. And what happens, when someone is ego driven and thinking they are helping other people....their belief ends up becomming supported by yours, only making theirs stronger, and deluding the entire truth of the exchange as their ego reaches max limits before the truth is exposed..... with help from the support of a follower

The unjustices that are created by these types of groups are not good, although it is part of a leanring process that even people not involved in said groups will experience:

You cannot place more faith in to the hands of another person.
You cannot have more belief in someone else, than you do in yourself
You cannot depend on other people to guide you accordingly

or things like this continue to happen.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby mrshumphreys » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Well, it looks like this one is destined to sink to the bottom of the page.
I thought it was interesting, anyway.

One thing to think about, if it is a cult, how sneaky is it to run it out of yoga studios, where the bulk of people come and go once a week for some relaxation and exercise, never knowing that there is a whole other world going on right in front of them?

Also, is it just me, or do the "special" classes they charge thousands of dollars for sound eerily like Scientology, which is well known for charging people more and more money to move up the ranks?

I have to say, if the allegations are true, it sounds like another horrible marriage of religious cult and pyramid scheme.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

mrshumphreys

Postby sandra » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:31 am

Wasn't sure you would respond to my post. I'm aware I'm a little out there.

No this is an interesting story, vry interesting. I had watched a documentary on this, can't remember what channel it was on. They interviewed many people, the sad thing was, alot of them all felt clueless from the beginning. Like you said, these people were paying thousands o dollars, and for what? Brainwashing? Where was their awareness to begin with? Any of them? When you involve yourself in something like that, it also opens the door for other people to join you. Seriously you wouldn't even find me paying a couple hundred for a regular gym membership. Thats another thing, you get so many people targeted by physical health issues, especially women, and that becomes their main reasoning and intent, neglecting to stay aware of their mental and emotional health.

And oh it definitely was a cult. No doubt. The thing is when they started it I'm sure that was not their intent. When you get soo many people together with concern for money, looks, physical attraction, flaky empowerment, its bound to happen....they don't have much control over it when they are not aware of the nature of their reasoning and decision making.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby mrshumphreys » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:26 am

I was just waiting to see if it was just going to be us, or if anyone else wanted to chime in.

Actually, the more I think about the accusations and the business model, the more I think it was set up as a cult from the start. This Ilchi Lee character seems to have all the characteristics of your average, everyday ego inflated money hungry con artist. I think the straight yoga classes they offer are a pretty ingenious way of hiding and staying under the raydar, though. Think about it, yoga is very popular and has been for years. They get income, a HUGE influx of woman to sift through so they can find the ones most likely to fall for their set up, and a respectable front for their operation all in one shot.

mrshumphreys

Postby sheye » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:43 am

Dahn is especially appealing to anyone who is anxious, vulnerable or struggling with personal issues like a breakup or questions about career direction,” says cult expert Szimhart

Very interesting topic mrshumpreys, and the "source" of the arcticle doesn't make it less credible in my mind.

The above is a quote from the arcticle that seems to ring true about how many of the "cults " today target the vulnerable,and use them for personal gain.

Thanks for sharing.
sheye

Postby malai5 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:47 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:Yes, I realize that one of these links is to a woman's magazine.
I happen to have bought an issue of this particular magazine last week, and read this article then.
A friend posted a link to the CNN video today, so I thought I'd bring it up here for everyone to discuss.

Basically, it's about a lawsuit by former practitioners claiming that this international chain of yoga studios is actually a cult. The article is pretty long (8 pages) and there isn't much in it that the CNN clip doesn't touch on, but I'll give you both and you can choose your poison, if you're interested.

article:
Thousands of young women have turned to the popular Dahn Yoga practice, and many say they love it. But now some former members are making shocking charges of greed, psychological manipulation and sexual assault. Who’s right?

CNN clip:

And how does this differ from any or all organised belief systems???

Cheers

Malai5
THE FURTHER YOU GO, THE LESS YOU KNOW!
http://www.mam3.com.au
malai5

Postby mrshumphreys » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:11 am

malai5 wrote:
mrshumphreys wrote:Yes, I realize that one of these links is to a woman's magazine.

article:

CNN clip:

Cheers

Malai5

I'm telling you up front, I'm never going to answer a question you put to me, especially not in a thread I start.

You ignored every question I put to you in your thread, just like you've always done, and I'm done with you. This thread is NOT about all organised religions. It's about Dahn Yoga.

Please address the topic or go back to your own thread.

mrshumphreys

Postby malai5 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 pm

mrshumphreys wrote:
malai5 wrote:

article:

CNN clip:

Cheers

Malai5

I'm telling you up front, I'm never going to answer a question you put to me, especially not in a thread I start.

You ignored every question I put to you in your thread, just like you've always done, and I'm done with you. This thread is NOT about all organised religions. It's about Dahn Yoga.

Please address the topic or go back to your own thread.

Mrs Humph

My understanding of a forum is where the subject matter is addressed, not the questions that take away from the subject matter.

Cheers

Malai5
THE FURTHER YOU GO, THE LESS YOU KNOW!
http://www.mam3.com.au
malai5

Postby bionic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:31 am

I saw a blip about this "cult" on the news.

I truly believe that for anything out there..whether it's real or not..there will ALWAYS be oppurtunists looking to make a buck off it.

That doesn't make the fundimentals of it..unreal.

I am a HUGE Qi Gong fan..this yoga seems similar to that.
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts