The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Yoga studio, or cult?

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby mrshumphreys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:29 am

bionic wrote:I saw a blip about this "cult" on the news.

I truly believe that for anything out there..whether it's real or not..there will ALWAYS be oppurtunists looking to make a buck off it.

That doesn't make the fundimentals of it..unreal.

I am a HUGE Qi Gong fan..this yoga seems similar to that.

Where does that leave you if the leader of the group is the opportunist?
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby sheye » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:04 am

Where does that leave you if the leader of the group is the opportunist?

It leaves you very vulnerable in my opinion,but I also think that those who expoit are very aware of who makes good targets for further manipulation,and they know which indivuals are the most vulnerable and exactly how to maniuplate them to produce the desired outcome.

I realize you were'nt asking me mrsh,but I had to stick in my 2 cents ..sorry.

Self help guru James Ray is another example of this kind of manipulation for profit,which ended up in a few deaths in his "spiritually enlightening"sweat lodges. Another "New Age " spiritualistic scam artist taking advantage of the ignorance and vulnerability of his "followers".
sheye

Postby mrshumphreys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:21 am

Sheye, I wasn't not asking you!
I was just putting it out there for anyone.

While I'm not personally a believer in Qi Gong or anything else, I think there is a difference between sharing your beliefs and taking advantage of people. I don't think that the chance that there might be validity to Dahn Yoga as a discipline justifies the leader or the group's methods in obtaining followers, money, etc.

I was quoting Bionic's post, but only because it set me along that line of thinking, not becausem I expected bionic to answer. Your input is always welcome, as is everyone else's. I refuse to engage in anymore conversation with malai, but that's a personal choice. I've always seen that person as a bit of a troll, who loves to ignore my posts when it suits them, but feels free to derail other conversations to make their "point". I don't want anyone else to feel like I don't welcome their comments or opinions, though.

I actually have done yoga in the past, as a form of exercise, which is one of the reasons I found this article interesting in the first place. I know lots of other people who look at it as a form of fitness training and nothing more, but that is obvious NOT the case in all instances. It's weird to think that something like this might be going on at your local yoga studio, you know?
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby malai5 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:51 pm

It is in the psyche of some people to be followers and for some to be those who need followers.

Wasn't it Mr Barnum that said:

"There is a sucker born every minute", or words to that effect.

The Hierarchical/tribal nature of the 3D paradigm enables this.
How it is used or abused, depends upon the individuals so conserned.

However, it is ALL a learning curve.
How would you really learn how not to be "suckered", unless you have been???
From then on in it depends on how quick you learn.

Cheers

Malai5
THE FURTHER YOU GO, THE LESS YOU KNOW!
http://www.mam3.com.au
malai5

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts