The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Creating a stir in New Zealand with controversial image

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby sheye » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:14 am

Can we get a photo of "God" humping a black hole? No wait, that would be a superstring right? Millimeter peter?

Prime example of the stupidity used in trying to discredit that there could be a higher power at play, one that actually had to something to do with how science works. To even relate a creative force, that perhaps did, with having a penis,is so unscientific, so crude...and basically makes scientists look like cold callous beings full of contempt and ridicule.

Thanks but no thanks,thats not the attitude I want teaching me about "truth".
sheye

Postby Dark-Samus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 am

In my opinion, there are different versions of all types of truths out there, I do not think there is only one truth.

If there was, every lifeform in the universe and all universe would be the same in some ways. :roll:
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby sheye » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:42 am

In my opinion, there are different versions of all types of truths out there, I do not think there is only one truth.

In the end dark,that has to be one "absolute" truth on how things came to exist. Wether or not we are even close to finding it(or if we ever will) is another story. But to poke fun ,and misconstrue concepts of religion on purpose, in an attempt to make yourself look funny or intelligent, only backfires in the long haul.
It makes you look mean ,petty, and so uninformed.
sheye

Postby Dark-Samus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:30 am

In the end dark,that has to be one "absolute" truth on how things came to exist. Wether or not we are even close to finding it(or if we ever will) is another story

Why do you believe that?
Dark-Samus

Postby sheye » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:33 am

Why do you believe that?

Why do I believe there has to an absolute truth? or why do I believe we haven't found it yet?

As to why I believe there is an "absolute truth" I guess in my mind I think there is a truth as to how everything came to be, or evolved. I don't think humans have the whole picture,and I'm not sure that if aliens exist , they have the true answer to that question as well.
sheye

Postby Dark-Samus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:14 am

As to why I believe there is an "absolute truth" I guess in my mind I think there is a truth as to how everything came to be, or evolved. I don't think humans have the whole picture,and I'm not sure that if aliens exist , they have the true answer to that question as well.

The reason to why I do not believe in one absolute truth.
Dark-Samus

Postby sheye » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:31 am

The reason to why I do not believe in one absolute truth.

Just because humans may not have the answer dark, doesn't mean that "absolute" truth doesn't exist.

I think we're getting off the original topic of this thread ,which was very interesting in the question it posed.
sheye

Postby HaHaaaa » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 am

sheye wrote:
Can we get a photo of "God" humping a black hole? No wait, that would be a superstring right? Millimeter peter?

Prime example of the stupidity used in trying to discredit that there could be a higher power at play, one that actually had to something to do with how science works. To even relate a creative force, that perhaps did, with having a penis,is so unscientific, so crude...and basically makes scientists look like cold callous beings full of contempt and ridicule.

Thanks but no thanks,thats not the attitude I want teaching me about "truth".

Sheye,
I was reading your posts and it started to make me think you were straying slightly nearer to the censorship side of the argument, rather than holding the centre-ground in your solid moral defence of religious iconry.
Humour can be offensive and still be humour. Jokes borne with dignity are soon forgotten.

After all. It's not like there aren't any 'scientist' jokes.
HaHaaaa

Postby sheye » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:54 am

Sheye,
I was reading your posts and it started to make me think you were straying slightly nearer to the censorship side of the argument, rather than holding the centre-ground in your solid moral defence of religious iconry.
Humour can be offensive and still be humour. Jokes borne with dignity are soon forgotten.

After all. It's not like there aren't any 'scientist' jokes.

Yes, much humour is meant to be offensive, but I'm not talking about poking fun at concepts like the picture in the first thread.It was cute but not very informed on the actual belief system they are trying to poke fun at.

The key words to blaspemy are VULGAR and CONTEMPTUOUS,and the "jokes" that go to extremes to be vulgar about sacred beliefs and dieties, to show their contempt for these beliefs and the people who choose to follow them are what I'm targeting in my "censorship". Sometimes they are just for shock value and aimed at disgusting people.
sheye

Postby HaHaaaa » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:38 pm

sheye wrote:
Yes, much humour is meant to be offensive, but I'm not talking about poking fun at concepts like the picture in the first thread.It was cute but not very informed on the actual belief system they are trying to poke fun at.

The key words to blaspemy are VULGAR and CONTEMPTUOUS,and the "jokes" that go to extremes to be vulgar about sacred beliefs and dieties, to show their contempt for these beliefs and the people who choose to follow them are what I'm targeting in my "censorship". Sometimes they are just for shock value and aimed at disgusting people.

Then I guess it's all a matter or degree. What may seem offensive to you is not necessarily offensive to others, and I'm sure that there would be more than just a few, while finding no real offence in the cartoon or indeed with vulgar and contemptuous jokes about religion which has been guilty itself of enough vulgarities and contempt for people even of their own faith, who would object somewhat to being generalised as 'disgusting people'.

Blasphemy, to me, is only committed when joking stops actually trying to make people laugh, and turns into a hate speech or is calculated to hurt the feelings and beliefs of a believer. Although having the job of deciding what constitutes a joke and what an insult is not one you'd want me to have, because my interpretation may well differ from those of a believer in god.
Religious followers, if their belief is strong enough, should be unfazed by any attempt to ridicule.
HaHaaaa

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts