The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

Cuts of Beef - You know where it comes from?

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby blackvault » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:03 pm

Just totally off topic, but thought this was interesting.

A little known fact about me here and on the internet is I love to cook. I cook almost every night, especially for my parents on Thursdays when they come over for Survivor and CSI night. (Russell should have won!)

Anyhow, they bought me a slow cooker for Christmas and I've used it 3 or 4 times now.

For our chess tournament and New Year celebration, I am making a roast in the slow cooker with red potatos, onions, mushrooms, garlic, spices, herbs, pepper, etc.

But I get so damn confused with all the roasts and cuts of meats. So I looked them up. Amazing to see where the meat we eat comes from!

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatc ... fchart.pdf

Thought someone might be interested :) If not... I'm talking to myself.

John
-----
John Greenewald, Jr.
The Black Vault Website Owner / Operator
http://www.theblackvault.com
blackvault

Postby bionic » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:58 pm

Meat is dead rotting flesh..that alone..says it all..lol
(do you ever watch "Man vs. Wild"? it's coming to mind right now)

But I loves me some steak..I actually crave the stuff on occasion..like a savage.
(this is why I will never be a vegetarian..oh well)

I gotta have me one..every once and a while...medium rare..with a nice baked potato on the side..yummo. (I love prime rib, too)

I love to cook, also..went through a slow cooker phaze, myself.
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby mrshumphreys » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:18 pm

It's all about the flat iron steak, baby!!
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby sandra » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:00 pm

bionic same here, meduim rare, have to have potatoes with steak.
Summer time I grill steak a few times a week, ends up being costly, but gtta luv beef.
I'm not so much a turkey and Ham type. I'd go for beef, pork, Lamb, Fish, Sushi, chicken, etc etc before turkey or ham.

Have to love the slow cooker in winter time....infact I have a new killer recipe for homemade maccaroni, ndns eat a ton of macs. :mrgreen:

1 lb Macs small or large noodles
White sharp cheese (8oz)
Cheddar cheese (8oz)
Cottage Cheese (12oz)
Parmesan cheese (dash the top)
Sour cream (8oz)
Bacon (full package cooked and crumbled)
1 large onion diced
Milk as needed for consistency

Throw this all together and it cooks for about 2 hours on high, its a great snack. Can you tell I'm a mommy ? LOL

The only thing I don't care for in the slow cooker is ribs.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Lashmar » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:43 am

It’s not working…it’s not working! NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo! I need this as well. :cry: Why is it always the useful links that never fucking work? WHY? It’s not fair. :x :cry: :cry:

Anyway. What is it with people cooking with Cheddar? Honestly now of all the cheeses you could cook with you go and use the worst cooking cheeses you can possibly get. :x :roll: :oops:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby sandra » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:52 am

srry lash but if I made you a dish, you wouldn't know the difference,,,zip the yap. ;)

Yeah I couldn't get the link to work either

But now I want some new crock pot recipes, anyone have a good one they have tried??????????
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby Lashmar » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:37 am

sandra wrote:srry lash but if I made you a dish, you wouldn't know the difference,,,zip the yap. ;)

There are two types of cheddar. One is the crap you get in shops, you can roll it round your fingers and make a ball out of it (horrid stuff), which I wouldn’t give to a dog and then you get the nice stuff you get from farms, the stuff you can’t roll into balls because it’s too flaky.

The major difference isn’t so much being able to roll it into a ball but the amount of oil that comes out of it. With crap cheddar you can feel and taste the oil, with the good stuff you can’t. The best cheddar I’ve ever had, I’ve forgot the name (F*** it :x ), is actually very dry.

I’ve tried the link again and it’s still not working. I’ve seen loads of them but it’s always good to see new one’s.

Not remembering the name is going to kill me now…£5 for anyone who can remember it for me. :P :lol:
Read between the lies
Lashmar

Postby Wing-Zero » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:43 pm

I can't eat a steak unless it's still moo'ing.
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby greeney2 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:28 pm

What John made last night in the slow cooker was delicious. The roast just cut with a fork. Juicy and tasty. Those cookers really work great.

I'm going to drag out ours and many try doing something with it. I have a frozen bag of the leftover Turkey that we saved for a soup. I know Ham is traditional, but I'm thinking of a split pea soup with the turkey, and let to cook and get real hearty and thick. I acutally prefer some of the turkey chili now, and some of the turkey or chicken sausages instead of the pork. Not that I don;t love the beef and pork, I guess its better choice health wise. One of my big discoveries a year of so ago(you probably already do it), was doing turkey parts on the BBQ, and it was fantastic to me.

Lashmer, you may have a different perspective on cheeses in the UK and Europe, then we do in the USA. Not that we do not have a lot of cheeses in this country, but when I think of Europe, Arn't many countries known for their special aged cheeses? Italy and France, I;m sure of, but what about the UK, are they big producers of gourmet cheese?

BAck to slow cookers, John made a macaroni and cheese dish in it the other day, but I didn't get to try it. I only thought Mac and cheeze was a conventional oven casserole dish.
greeney2

Postby sandra » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Split pea soup is one of my favorites along with home made french onion (plain croutons in it) and provolone cheese (loaded :mrgreen: ) melted over the bowl. Another soup I like is a chicken bacon and cheese soup with onions, potatoes, whipped cream with milk added, and topped with chives, another crock pot soup I enjoy making.

Turkey split pea soup, sounds good actually. I make a Turkey chili in the crock pot with corn, its great. There are alot of dishes I make in the crockpot that are not traditional crockpot recipes.

For breakfast every once in a while I make an Oatmeal dish in the crockpot, with brown sugar, milk, butter, cinnamon, red apples.... its a nice breakfast dish for the winter time in Minnesota.

I'm not a picky eater though.

& Lash, I'd help you if I could, srry I can't. :mrgreen: and if you don't know anything about american cheeses you should visit Wisconsin in the United States. Cheese factories are like as plenty as gas stations. They are everywhere.

Anyone have any crockpot recipes that have worked well for them? I'm always looking for new recipes.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Next

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts