The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

Cuts of Beef - You know where it comes from?

Feel like posting something completely unrelated to the message forums? Feel free! This forum is dedicated to have a place where members can sit, relax and just chat about anything!

Postby sandra » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:26 pm

HaHaaaa wrote:Simple! :)

And really tasty too!

Excellent. Thanks again Sandra, they went down a real treat lass.
\

Awesome. :D Hey yeah, let me see a picture, I won't laugh, and just by seeing a picture I'll know if there are any modifications for them to turn out even better. I'm impressed you made frybread, and to tell you the truth, I know many people who have tried making it over and over again, and they fail everytime. The more you make it the more you get a feel for the dough and aquire the lightness of it you'd like, along with the coloring. Just can't make them tooo thick, or they will not cook all the way through. Mine usually turn out a good few inches thick.

I'm also surprised you tried new things with it. Sounds good. Sausage and hot dogs go great wrapped in the dough and then fried as well. Sometimes I make the bread and then have hot ham and cheese with them. Or I will even have the bread for breaksast with egg and ham or sausage sandwiches. There is soo much you can do with it, I really hope you keep making it, and be proud, alot of ndn people can't even make it, and its a regular food for us. :mrgreen:
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Dark-Samus » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:09 am

Now that survivor is over this season , where does Greeney eat ?

I love that damn show. I even auditioned twice for it, bastards never called.
Oh well there's always next season...

BloodStone...

If you ever do you have to tell us, we will be cheering for you!

And remember to cover all stones with blood... :lol:

SRO, actually...I have never tried that Wiener Schnitzel...

Yes...it's strange for a guy like me not to have tried it... :lol:
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby HaHaaaa » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:12 am

sandra wrote:
Awesome. :D Hey yeah, let me see a picture, I won't laugh, and just by seeing a picture I'll know if there are any modifications for them to turn out even better. I'm impressed you made frybread, and to tell you the truth, I know many people who have tried making it over and over again, and they fail everytime. The more you make it the more you get a feel for the dough and aquire the lightness of it you'd like, along with the coloring. Just can't make them tooo thick, or they will not cook all the way through. Mine usually turn out a good few inches thick.

Eeek!
A few inches thick? :shock:

Oh. :?

But you said golf-ball sized chunks...... :(

See, now I feel ..... well.... inadequate...

Not really. ;) Following the instructions gave me pieces.... well, you can see for yourself...

There is soo much you can do with it, I really hope you keep making it, and be proud, alot of ndn people can't even make it, and its a regular food for us. :mrgreen:

Oh for sure it'll be a regular item on the menu from now on. It makes a change from the usual round of bread-making which is normally a standard plain or wholemeal bread in a loaf, or bread rolls with sesame and poppy seeds, or any variation of the two.
Most of us came to the conclusion it was very similar to pitta bread, but slightly richer and with a suggestion of the egg flavour.
Both of the girls want me to show them how to make them from scratch next time, so you can be sure your recipe is alive and well.... :)

Ok, pics. (If I can get this img stuff to work.) And again, apologies for the poor quality, I took them with my phone.

Out comes 'the' bowl...
Mixed and kneaded and sitting for half-an-hour....
Draining after frying....
Getting jiggy with the banana.... This pic does give an idea of the lightness of the bread though. Loads of air pockets.
Done. ;)

Any tips for the future will be gratefully received.
HaHaaaa

Postby sandra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 am

Wow, looks like you did an excellent job! The color of your bread looks great, sometimes mine comes out that same color or a little darker.

Was the bread very light in your hand? If not, next time use less flour, the right amount of flour being added changes the bread the most. If there is to much flour it turns a bit heavier and not as fluffy. Also make sure the baking powder is plenty: Just measured out my handfuls to equal just under 1/4 cup. Should have done that prior for you. Reason I mention those two things is that I see in your bowl you have less flour left than I usually do. Next time you make it, I'm sure it will turn out even better, mine still improves. I'll show a picture of mine within the next couple days, so you can see, and I'll show my flour bowl etc as you did.

You did an unbelievable job for your first time making it. My first time making it, my bread was so heavy you could have dropped it, and it would have shattered. :mrgreen: :lol:

Obviously you know you can do whatever you want with the dough, but I forgot to mention a family favorite, I fry the bread, and then cut in half (yours will get fluffier), and have frybread cheeseburgers. Love them.

And remember you can add alot of different things to the liquid mix before frying if you wish, some people add sugar if hey are having something sweet with it. I'll show some pistures of my progress in a couple days, if not later tonight. But good work.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby sandra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:35 pm

SRRY should have made pics smaller....This is before frying

While frying

After : Frybread taco, frybread cheeseburger, and sqwua dog ;) Little messy, but was in a hurry.

Also, frybread stores well in a zipper bag after it cools down so it doesn't harden, I just made mine an hour ago, and have just now stored it. Keep working at it haahaaa, and you did EXCELLENT for your first time, very good!! Can you tell I eat healthy? Well its a good snack.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby sandra » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Infact by looking at your bread, next time it will turn out near perfect if you add less flour, and just under 1/4 cup baking powder, guaranteed. Might be better than mine. Yours are browner, which I prefer.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby _Billy_ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:08 pm

I love to cook and bake.
"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez" Let the Good Times Roll
_Billy_

Postby HaHaaaa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Right!

I'm off to the shop for more Baking Powder.
Your diagnosis is correct, I misunderstood the amount I need for the mix.
This time (In the next few days) I'll add a quarter of a cup, as opposed to the ounce (Roughly), that I used first time....

Fabulous cooking by the way..... If that doesn't attract a new husband, nothing will. ;)
HaHaaaa

Postby sandra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Yes, add the just under 1/4 cup baking powder. Another helpful tip would be, everyone kneads with a different touch. Maybe just try gently flipping the dough a few times over after you are done stirring the flour in by spoon. It will turn out great, if you make it again in a few days, please show me again. Because your first attempt turned out better than I thought it would, this time you might be ready for frybread contest. ;)

And I do love cooking for people. Absolutely.

Oh and Billy, no offense but looking at you in your hunting gear doesn't help me see you baking in the kitchen...interesting you like to bake. :D
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby Ninor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:23 pm

_Billy_ wrote:I love to cook and bake.

I thought Bucky did all the cooking in your house Billy? :D ;)
Ninor

PreviousNext

Return to The "Off-Topic" Members Lounge

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts