The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Other Paranormal and Occult

Thunder Mountain

The paranormal and occult have many sides, discuss all other paranormal/occult topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Postby sandra » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:39 pm

"THUNDER MOUNTAIN

(Potawatomi Legend)
Now regarding the Thunder Mountain in the western part of Marinette County: Thunder is a large bird like an Eagle, only much larger. And when this bird was created it was made to have power in order to defend us from the great serpents, who wanted to kill and eat the human race. It was also to moisten the earth for vegetation. Thunderers, we call these great birds. One of them is called Chequah. And the mountain we call Bikwaki, so Thunder Mountain is Chequah Bikwaki.

Many, many years have gone by since the Hill received its name. In the beginning of its Indian history the Thunderbirds used to make their nests here and sit on their two eggs until their young were hatched. Some Indians many years ago in the summer time visited the Hill and were surprised to find several pairs of young Thunders. It was always the custom with Indians to offer tobacco for friendship and safety.

And later on in another visit by the Indians a pond was discovered on the top of the Hill. And it was dangerous. The Serpent who lives under the Hill had caused this to be so that he could sun himself when the sky was clear. And on a sunny clear day he was sunning, probably asleep, when a lone Thunder discovered him and decided to catch him alive and carry him off. So the Thunder came down from the sky and caught the Serpent. The Thunder would carry him high. The Serpent, struggling, would carry the Thunder back down on the pond.

At that time an Indian hunter who was passing happened to look to the top of the Hill and to his surprise saw the two struggling, and went up to witness the great fight. He was noticed by them, and the Thunderbird spoke and said, "My friend, help me, and shoot the Serpent with your arrow, and I will make you a great man!" The Serpent also spoke and said, "Help me, and shoot the Thunder, and I'll promise you my friendship to the end of all time!" The Indian did not know which one to help, so he shut his eyes and shot an arrow toward the fighters and shot the Thunder. That shot weakened the Thunder and he fell down and was taken under the Hill as a prisoner. The Thunderbird is still there, and the Hill is called Chequah Bikwaki. Whenever there is going to be a thunderstorm lightning is seen flashing from the Thunder Mountain.

Source: Wisconsin Lore by Robert E. Gard and L.G. Sorden (published in 1962) pages 186-187"
LINK
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby sandra » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Id like to note that I have been to this mountain several times, it is of much interest, but is totally under the radar.

Infact the second time I visited the site I took along a long time friend from the B.V. here (havent seen him around here lately). It was a group of three of us that went first we went to some ceremonies I was finishing up, I had to do a thanksgiving feast and give gifts to people whom supported me on a 7day fast over my 21st birthday, then we headed to the mountain.

I was very excited to bring two friends with me, we had an awesome time and made some new discoveries,,,,if you even slightly start to jog on the mountain, it literally echos, as if the mountain was hollow....making a sound like thunder, that is one of the reasons I believe it is called thunder mountain.

The views of the northern lights there are magnificant. It is a place of significance for many reasons I believe, and from what I gathered I believe it is a place where ufos have landed.

When you drive to find the mountain, there are no signs to get there....there will be signs for thunder mountain INN and so on, but it is actually difficult to find the way to the mountain, First time I was there, it wasnt even 20 minutes and there were 2 men asking about how long we had planned on staying, what we were doing there, and made it clear we were not allowed to camp anywhere near the mountain, they seriously looked like feds.

Hardly many people know of the place, so there are very few visitors, yet they make you 'sign in' while visiting the mountain, and there is someone in a watchtower right on the edge of the mountain at all hours of every day.

The experiences I have had at thunder mountain are beyond explainable, and anyone who has visited the place have told me they sense a different vibrational frequency, and start feeling very 'funny' like the moment they step foot on the mountain.

My father also knows of the place and had advised me never to be there at night,,, well I broke that rule one night with my 2 friends (one i met from the bv) and we headed up the mountain at dark. As we were sitting on the mountain we heard the loudest screams and most high pitched, then came a sound and thump that literally shook the mountain, one of my friends literally rolled down the mountain out of fear, I took a few steps but then was like paralysed with fear LMAO and my other friend just sat still....we were in shock....since then i will never go back 'on' the mountain at night.

I could go on and on, if any of you ever end up in the north east of Wisconsin, you have to check this place out,,,,it is not a very large mountain either, it has its own formation.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby shadowfx » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:07 pm

Sounds like a kinda cool yet creepy place. But definately worthwhile to checkout if I'm ever over in that area.
shadowfx

Return to Other Paranormal and Occult

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts