The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Sci-Fi TV/Movies

Avatar...not a bad little film...

Sci-Fi has amazed audiences since the dawn of television and movies. Come on in to chat about anything and everything Science Fiction.

Postby Wing-Zero » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Aquatank wrote:It also has the White Man saves the Natives image implying they cannot save themsleves without the White Mans help. The only redemption to this sticking point is the White Man in this "goes native" in the end.

No, it has the "white man" refusing his humanity and wanting to be zapped into another body entirely and giving people the message that it's alright to just jump ship because a couple bad people who happen to be of the same species are doing bad things. It's glorifying the idea that it's a terrible thing to be human.

mrshumphreys wrote:Sorry, I'm big on plot. When a movie has the same plot as tons of movies before it, dressing it up with pretty FX doesn't make it any better for me. People are sheep and will pay to watch crappy James Cameron films... I've learned to live with it. *shrugs*

Woah woah woah, crappy? Homie has the two highest grossing films under his belt. He also co-wrote and directed Terminator, Terminator 2, wrote Rambo: First Blood Part II, Aliens, True Lies, and Spiderman. He's batting a PERFECT game.

Besides, what movie DOESN'T have re-occuring plot themes these days?
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby Dark-Samus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 am

Woah woah woah, crappy? Homie has the two highest grossing films under his belt. He also co-wrote and directed Terminator, Terminator 2, wrote Rambo: First Blood Part II, Aliens, True Lies, and Spiderman. He's batting a PERFECT game.

Besides, what movie DOESN'T have re-occuring plot themes these days?

Aliens and T2 are on my top 2 list of my favourite movies of all time aswell.

Yup most have recurring themes and plots all the time, atleast Cameron does it with quality and style.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby greeney2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:44 pm

They filmed alot of Terminator 2 real close to my house Dark. The scene in the beginning where the kid on his trail bike outruns the simi truck, was filmed at the our Northridge Mall. Only a year of so later the Northridge Earthquake collapsed the parking structures along that back stret used, as most of the Mall was distroyed. the structure where the simi comes out of collapsed in the earthquake. The scenes of the motorcycle jump, and the step parents house were near the mall and even a Plummer Street sign shows in one scene. The mall is bordered by Plummer St.
greeney2

Postby Dark-Samus » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:47 am

That's interesting to hear, not only is T2 one of the best movies ever made, but it has a part of your history aswell :D
Dark-Samus

Postby event_horizon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Wing-Zero wrote:No, it has the "white man" refusing his humanity and wanting to be zapped into another body entirely and giving people the message that it's alright to just jump ship because a couple bad people who happen to be of the same species are doing bad things. It's glorifying the idea that it's a terrible thing to be human.

To me there just seems to be more bad people in the world than good. Sometimes it makes me wish I were a Gray alien, or any other alien for that matter. But oh well...I gotta work with what nature gave me. lol

Wing-Zero wrote:
mrshumphreys wrote:Sorry, I'm big on plot. When a movie has the same plot as tons of movies before it, dressing it up with pretty FX doesn't make it any better for me. People are sheep and will pay to watch crappy James Cameron films... I've learned to live with it. *shrugs*

Mrs. Humphreys obviously doesn't know what she's talking about. She's apparently a very confused person when it comes to great movie making.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby event_horizon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:21 pm

Dark-Samus wrote:Aliens and T2 are on my top 2 list of my favourite movies of all time aswell.

'Aliens' is my #1 favorite movie of all time.
I don't believe what I believe because it's what I desire to believe. I believe what I believe because it's what logic and reason cause me to believe. All I want is to live with the truth -- nothing more, nothing less.
event_horizon

Postby Dark-Samus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:46 am

'Aliens' is my #1 favorite movie of all time.

I guess we have that incommon since T2 is my second best :mrgreen:

I mean really, Aliens still outmasters most movies today in everything.
Dark-Samus

Postby chiselray » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:22 am

Why avatar was said to be a great film has me also wondering why any other film wasnt great then..I wouldnt call avatar a great film,the message is great but not new..The special effects were ok but hardly any better than most..
Viewing it was not unlike watching a game on a playstation and nothing about the moving blew me away..but thats just my opinion..It was pretty average to be honest...
chiselray

Postby mrshumphreys » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 am

chiselray wrote:Why avatar was said to be a great film has me also wondering why any other film wasnt great then..I wouldnt call avatar a great film,the message is great but not new..The special effects were ok but hardly any better than most..
Viewing it was not unlike watching a game on a playstation and nothing about the moving blew me away..but thats just my opinion..It was pretty average to be honest...

Yup.

Aliens was great, I'll grant you that. T2...meh. I liked the first better. Cameron is OVERRATED. Two of the highest grossing films, sure, but they're both complete and utter pants. Sorry. Titanic was slow frickin torture. Avatar was average, at best. Watchable, but nothing great. Cameron's success is undeniable, but his talent is debatable. All his best work was over a decade ago, and most of his success is easily explainable by the lack of taste among the general audience. People like stupid movies. *shrug* event, you can pretend I don't know what I'm talking about all you want, but it's an opinion. I see Cameron as making popular movies, not great ones. Sort of like Michael Bey, except they make a lot more sense and are at least watchable.
"It's like arguing with a brick wall, except the brick wall thinks you're an idiot, and thinks it's winning." - Humphreys, that sexy beast.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mrshumphreys

Postby Dark-Samus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:27 am

I think Quentin Tarantino is too overrated.
Dark-Samus

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-Fi TV/Movies

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts