The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Tough Time of Year for Atheists

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby frrostedman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:53 am

humphreys wrote:
frrostedman wrote:No. You don't. You love the benefits, the day off from work, and the time of year. :P

I love Christmas. You can't deny me loving Christmas just because, technically, what is being celebrated is something I do not believe in.

Straight people can love gay pride parades, and white people can love ebony magazines, although I'm not one of them!

Does it pain you that someone who is not in "the club" enjoys the celebration as much as you do? :lol:

No, I'm just giving you a hard time. Actually I'm pleased that you celebrate and aren't one of those bitter boycotters.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby humphreys » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:08 am

frrostedman wrote:No, I'm just giving you a hard time. Actually I'm pleased that you celebrate and aren't one of those bitter boycotters.

Well, I'm certainly not one of those people who goes out of his way to say "Happy Holidays", or "Xmas" (except when I'm being lazy) instead of Christmas, or who tries to take the religion out of the obviously religious holiday.

I can accept, enjoy, and celebrate the event for exactly what it is.

None of my family is religious, yet we've always been around and tied into religion, and it's never really bothered me.

For example, I was sent to a Christian COE School by my unbelieving parents, because it was nice, and local, I went to a Sunday School type event every week with my friend, because it was fun, and neither myself or anyone I know has ever tried to celebrate Christmas as anything other than what it is, really. In fact, my Mum used to go sing religious songs at the church at Christmas with her friends, because she enjoyed the atmosphere.
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby frrostedman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:37 am

humphreys wrote:In fact, my Mum used to go sing religious songs at the church at Christmas with her friends, because she enjoyed the atmosphere.

There are many people who do the very same thing and call themselves Christians.

Question: Did you miss out on the whole Techno Viking craze? I just know it's right up your alley. I was very late in finding out about it.
Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man. - Albert Einstein
frrostedman

Postby Dark-Samus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 am

I`ve had atleast 3 encounters wher epeople that believes or follows another religion or something else has said to me something similar to " merry christmas " but about their own thing.

A muslim guy in my class once said to me Salaam Aleikum and like Happy Ramadan or something similar.

I just said Aleikum Salaam and responded happy ramadan back to him aswell even though we both knew I was not a muslim or celebrated any of the muslim religion.
Was I offended? No, Did I feel strange somehow? No

It´s a sign of respect to what the other person is telling you.

Other encounters involved, a 100% vegan and a buddhist.
And ofc there too I answer back as a token of respect and nothing else between 2 people.

I don´t see how it is a problem for many of you humans. :roll:
And this goes specificly to the close minded ones which are basicly all of you.

I wouldn´t call myself an atheist since I do "believe" in something that I would not call God or anything but most people I`ve met do not respond to me in a nice way or even a slight respecting way either when I we talk about what I believe.

And atheis have not been much better to me either, why? because the human stupidity is greater than any faith.

Now, I celebrate christmas, not because it´s a religious thing or the birth of Chrsit or anything related to Jesus except maybe that it´s about spending time with your family that may or may not believe in it.
My parents grew up ofc with religion in one way or the other as almost most of the old generation have.

I would say it´s not better or worse than celebrating your own birthday in the end where you can be a bit more happier even if you don´t get presents or whatever, you still get good food? :lol: ;)
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby humphreys » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:06 pm

frrostedman wrote:Question: Did you miss out on the whole Techno Viking craze? I just know it's right up your alley. I was very late in finding out about it.

I must have, cause I've got no idea what it is.

What did it involve?
"All of our behavior can be traced to biological events about which we have no conscious knowledge: this has always suggested that free will is an illusion."

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby frrostedman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:11 pm

I started a thread on it a month or so ago... but I'm something like 2 years late, the craze has already come and gone. Techno Viking is a youtube phenomenon, and reportedly the only man in the world that could kill Chuck Norris.

Watch this video in its entirety (4 min I think)

Techno Viking
frrostedman

Postby humphreys » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:30 pm

You're pretty random sometimes!

We should have that game of chess soon, I'm playing a lot again now. I'm not great, but I'm getting better. I can usually win against Christians because they overprotect their bishops, and they're always happy to make sacrifices to please their King, but atheists are a bigger problem because they play like they are possessed or something.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby frrostedman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:39 pm

You can find me at redhotpawn.com, username is "sumydid"

I'm there almost every night..

Warning: redhotpawn.com is very, very addictive.
frrostedman

Postby humphreys » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:44 pm

I play at gamecolony.com, but I'll give redhotpawn a chance.

I'll probably pop on tomorrow at some point.

What time zone are you on and what's your rating?

Edit: Okay, I signed up, user "humphreysjim". I'll pop on tomorrow and see if you're on. I like gamecolony cause all the online players are visible in one room, along with all the games etc, seems a little clearer than this place, but I probably have to get used to it.

- Sam Harris
humphreys

Postby frrostedman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:52 pm

What makes redhotpawn so addictive is the pace is up to you. The games aren't live, you have several days to make a move. So you don't feel rushed and you can give it all the thought you want. But then one or two games isn't enough, so you join a clan and join more games, and the next thing you know you are involved in 30 or 40 games, with several moves to make everytime you log on.

Since you signed up you can look up my username and check my stats. I think my rating right now is around 1725.
frrostedman

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts