The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

I Am therefore I think.

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Unlike religion, which only changes when it HAS to in order for people to continue believing. No one would be a catholic if they still dictated that the world was flat.

When they found out the world was no longer flat, did that change the story of Jesus?
greeney2

Postby Tairaa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Its a lot easier to have that thought an belief at 19, but when you get to seeing 69 on the horizon, you a lot closer to finding out for sure.

Well, I'll definitely think I'm closer to knowing, when in reality I probably won't be. But we'll see.

When they found out the world was no longer flat, did that change the story of Jesus?

No, it didn't.
But it did change their story.

I think that it's entirely possible that Jesus was a real person who did good for the world while he was here and his life was taken out of perspective by his "disciples" when he died. But the message that the bible, especially old testament, preaches isn't always a good one.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Postby greeney2 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:47 pm

You made a point implying that as science evolved, therefore the Churches altered what they teach. I say that is a false statement of true religions, as you tried to point out with the Catholics dictating the earth was flat. I don't even know if they dictated anything about the world being flat, anymore that all the Kings horses and all the kings men. That said, they did not alter the teaching about Jesus that I know of. Lets take the advancement of science and discoveries of the 20th century. Did the Catholic church alter its teachings with the invention of Car or airplanes? Lets look at just the last 20 years and what the Hubble telescope has discovered? The Catholic Church has not waivered in its teaching about Jesus, Mary and Joseph, and they have not caved into the trends of society concering positions of Abortion and birth control, or many many other issues that have made people leave the church. The further discovery of how the universe may have been born, has not altered the Catholic Religion. You claim they all change accordingly, and maybe the ones who do not, may see the same lessons that were intended, regardless of science and the liberal views of what is acceptable as a society.
greeney2

Postby Tairaa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:08 pm

In your bible the it is a few times referenced to a flat earth, for instance:

A cloud that ALL can see
Being atop a mountain and being able to see all the kingdoms of the Earth
Having 4 opposite sides or corners
"....He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,..." Isaiah 40:22.

So I dunno..
Take from it what you will, it's kind of hard to argue for or against since everything written in the bible is conveniently meaningless in a direct way, it can be perceived in a plethora of ways.
"George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd."
Tairaa

Previous

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts