The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

Bioterror attack.

Discuss the War on Terrorism, Homeland Security, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea and other global terrorist concerns.

Postby greeney2 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:45 pm

More than 38 million doses available against swine flu
'As supplies increase things should go better,' says a CDC official, who adds that flu activity is widespread in 48 states and 'virtually everything is H1N1.'

Related
HealthKey: Swine Flu - What You Need to Know
Shortage of flu vaccines leaves healthcare workers vulnerable
Obesity puts swine flu sufferers at greater risk, study suggests
By Thomas H. Maugh II

November 6, 2009 | 5:43 p.m.
E-mail Print Share Text Size

More than 38 million doses of vaccine against pandemic H1N1 influenza are now available, 11 million more than were available last week and double the number available two weeks ago, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

Another 8 million doses are expected to arrive next week "if everything goes well," said Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. "That is progress. . . . As supplies increase, things should go better."

About 91 million doses of seasonal flu vaccine have also been shipped, and manufacturers expect to ship a record 114 million doses before the season is over, she said.

Widespread influenza activity is being seen in 48 states "and virtually everything is H1N1," she noted. Influenza-like illnesses accounted for 7.7% of visits to doctors' offices last week, down slightly from 8% the week before. "That's way higher than we would normally see at this time of year."

More than half of the hospitalizations continue to be in people under age 25, and 90% of the deaths are in people under 65, she said. In a typical flu season, the vast majority of deaths are in those over 65. Since Aug. 30, 17,838 people have been hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza and 672 people have died, according to the CDC.

There have been 129 pediatric deaths from laboratory-confirmed swine flu since the outbreak of the pandemic in April, an increase of 15 since last week. Since April, one other child died from confirmed seasonal flu and 15 died from influenza that was not typed, Schuchat said. About two-thirds of the children had underlying conditions that increased their risk -- particularly severe neurological problems such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy, and asthma.

The CDC said Thursday that it is ordering 10,000 treatment courses of the intravenous antiviral drug peramivir for its national stockpile, at a cost of $22.5 million. The Food and Drug Administration two weeks ago approved emergency use of the experimental drug for severely ill patients who cannot use the oral or intranasal antiviral drugs. New York City health officials have been under fire in recent days for allocating swine flu vaccine to several large companies, particularly Wall Street companies such as Goldman Sachs.

New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Farley on Friday defended that decision, saying that such companies have traditionally been distributors of flu shots.

"The workplace is a very common place for adults to get vaccinated," Schuchat said, adding that there are many priority groups there, including pregnant women, adults with underlying medical conditions and caretakers of young children.
greeney2

Postby frrostedman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:04 am

Worldwide, about 70% of flu cases reported are H1N1. Certainly nothing to scoff at as inconsequential.
"But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about Jesus being a great teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." C.S. Lewis
frrostedman

Postby mael » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:54 am

frrostedman wrote:Worldwide, about 70% of flu cases reported are H1N1. Certainly nothing to scoff at as inconsequential.

Who says so? Link please.
mael

Postby greeney2 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:52 am

The above link from CDC tells about the USA.

Widespread influenza activity is being seen in 48 states "and virtually everything is H1N1
greeney2

Postby mael » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:19 pm

greeney2 wrote:The above link from CDC tells about the USA.

Widespread influenza activity is being seen in 48 states "and virtually everything is H1N1

* Ooooh

* Y'know! It's so funny to see you scoff-down every last word in the government's newsbytes without any questions whatsoever without even checking them. But reports from independant researchers - with detailed notes so you can verify what they say are flatly dismissed.

It's very telling, y'know... 8-)

ZZZzzzZZZzzz
mael

Postby inja » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:54 pm

frrostedman wrote:Worldwide, about 70% of flu cases reported are H1N1. Certainly nothing to scoff at as inconsequential.

What is the number of flu cases reported? Simply saying 70% means kind of nothing at this point.

70% of what???

I need a few more numbers to determine if 70% is worth scoffing at or not.
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense.
inja

Postby greeney2 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:04 pm

What is the number of flu cases reported?

From the CDC report:
Since Aug. 30, 17,838 people have been hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza and 672 people have died

It's so funny to see you scoff-down every last word in the government's newsbytes without any questions whatsoever

If the Center of Disease Control has no credibility, why would anything off the internet be? IMHO the CDC is one of the most credible and trusted government organizations.
greeney2

Postby mael » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:10 am

greeney2 wrote:If the Center of Disease Control has no credibility, why would anything off the internet be? IMHO the CDC is one of the most credible and trusted government organizations.

* Yeah sure!

* And you think the WHO is similarly beyond reproach, I suppose.

* But your blind faith in the CDC (and the incumbant government) is very revealing of your character.

* I read what the CDC has to say. But where you and I differ is that I continue to read what other people are saying as well so I can get as balanced a picture as possible.

* And in my experience the CDC is one of the worst for lying by omission.
mael

Postby greeney2 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:38 am

Just about any household that goes to their local pharmacy has probably been given one of those peel and stick labels, that list a variety of hazzards and poisons, what to do list, and a hotline right to the Center of Disease Control. They get glued into a pantry cupboard door, or onto a refrigerator, or next to the phone. In actuality, the CDC may be one of the most trusted and credible places most americans do consider a place to trust during a real crisis. They have probably saved thousands of lives with thier hotline. Such as a small child injested something from under the kitchen sink, the CDC is one of the main places you may call for help in a dire emergency. In that context I totally disagree with you. In the context of intentional lies being told as you put it, I havn't herd that.
greeney2

Postby mael » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:25 pm

greeney2 wrote:Just about any household that goes to their local pharmacy has probably been given one of those peel and stick labels, that list a variety of hazzards and poisons, what to do list, and a hotline right to the Center of Disease Control. They get glued into a pantry cupboard door, or onto a refrigerator, or next to the phone. In actuality, the CDC may be one of the most trusted and credible places most americans do consider a place to trust during a real crisis. They have probably saved thousands of lives with thier hotline. Such as a small child injested something from under the kitchen sink, the CDC is one of the main places you may call for help in a dire emergency. In that context I totally disagree with you. In the context of intentional lies being told as you put it, I havn't herd that.

So I want to ask you who would be better at selling some con than someone who is highly respected?

Amnesty International - Green peace and a lot more I could mention started out with good intentions and were fair and impartial. But they got infiltrated soon enough and perform good work as well as bad - with a bias to protect those who infiltrated the org.

But you do whatever you like. I like to go further and look behind the scenes and check the figures and alleged facts.
mael

PreviousNext

Return to The War on Terrorism & Homeland Security

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts