The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Questions that make you think...

Would it Still Be You?

In this forum, questions are asked which are really tough to answer. Some philosophical, some regarding morality and many others. Have fun, and post your own personal tough questions!

Postby khanster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:56 pm

http://india.smashits.com/wikipedia/Posthuman_future

Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
khanster

Postby MonarchSmile » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:11 am

http://www.aleph.se/Trans/

I think posthuman/transhuman studies might be hidden from view, mostly.
MonarchSmile

Postby bionic » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:32 pm

Oh..that is a good question..it reminds me of 'fuzzy logic" (interestingly, something that is being integrated into AI intelligence to make it more "humanlike")

It's like when you are eating an apple..with each bite it ceases to be..but the apple is still there..until the last bite is finally taken.

I'm thinking it'd work that way, too.

But how would that feel to the brain of the individual..would it (the person) feel it's consciousness shiftng...dissapearing?

When that last neuron is replaced..would something ..click...would some living aura seen in the eyes suddenly dissapear?

Would you notice it's beginning to dissappear right with the very first chip/neuron replacement?

Intriguing

it's very, 'glass half full..half empty'..isn't it?

bionic ears and eyes come to mind..cochlear or retina implants, and such

of course, those are more 'apendagy' than 'thought processy'
Willie Wonka quotes..
What is this Wonka, some kind of funhouse?
Why? Are you having fun?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
bionic

Postby afterglowz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:31 am

Think about it some more: Your cells are dying and being replaced. How many of them were alive 10 years ago? 20 yrs? 30yrs or keep going back to when you were a kid. You have some of the same memories, but they are in an entirely different context from when they were in short term memory. You could go a year w/o thinking about something you thought about every day. In very many ways, that type of transition has happened, but not to prosthetic. Possibly, the most primitive part of our brains that give us those gut feelings; those extreme illogical behaviors we can not easily overcome; that part might stay pretty much the same.

afterglowz
afterglowz

Postby sandra » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:32 pm

I read and understood almost all the information provided by all sites and ones linked. Sounds very 'futuristic', yet from my point of consciousness I find these ideas will always lag behind. There are ppl who already know how to transform their physical emotional and spiritual attributes- Technology will never be able to surpass the capacity of a human mind, from where it came, plain and simple. We do not 'need' technology for these types of evoloution, we need will power. If faith moves mountains, it can give me an ass lift. ;) :mrgreen: The articles were very interesting, but their ideas of transhuman/posthuman dependancy on technology ruins it for me, there are ppl that are aware far beyond this.
“Living backwards!” Alice repeated in great
astonishment. “I never heard of such a thing!”
“—but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s
memory works both ways.”
— Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
sandra

Postby Dark-Samus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:23 am

Faith is not the same as Willpower.
And wihout technology, Willpower means nothing.

And everything the humans mind thinks of, says and does is primitive and means nothing more than to please it´s own sorry little ass.
Truth doesn´t control you, you control it...
Dark-Samus

Postby khanster » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Professor Hugo De Garis wrote about a hypothetical scenario called the "Artilect War" in which humans are strongly divided into basically two camps, one, the Cosmists, scientists who desire to create super intelligent artificial brains using nano-technology and the other camp, the Terrans, who seek to destroy the artificial brains before they become too powerful and could possibly wipe out all carbon based life on planet Earth in the blink of an eye.

Do humans exist simply to create god-like intelligences in order to start a causality loop?

http://iss.whu.edu.cn/degaris/artilectwar.html
khanster

Postby Wing-Zero » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:48 pm

So where do I, one who doesn't care if someone else has a mostly artificial brain but decides to keep my own as "natural" as possible, fit in with those two ideals?
War is an extension of economics and diplomacy through other means.

Economics and diplomacy are methods of securing resources used by humans.

Securing resources is the one necessary behavior for all living things.

War = Life
Wing-Zero

Postby sandra » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:29 pm

khanster wrote:Professor Hugo De Garis wrote about a hypothetical scenario called the "Artilect War" in which humans are strongly divided into basically two camps, one, the Cosmists, scientists who desire to create super intelligent artificial brains using nano-technology and the other camp, the Terrans, who seek to destroy the artificial brains before they become too powerful and could possibly wipe out all carbon based life on planet Earth in the blink of an eye.

Do humans exist simply to create god-like intelligences in order to start a causality loop?

http://iss.whu.edu.cn/degaris/artilectwar.html

I've been reading about all kinds of this stuff lately....Aquatank had a thread going about graphene and nanotech......they have already been playing around with this and DNA, yes, but I don't think mutation and transformation of DNA isn't anything we can't fix on our own, as they meddle, we'll be one step ahead. ;) Isn't the stuff out there on nanotechnology unbelievable...not surprised the routes this stuff is taking, its a very micro component.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Postby sandra » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:37 pm

BTW, there was another thread in a forum I was reading.
They are planning in the future of possibly doing some genetic embryo engineering, wonder if they will impliment nanotech. Theres some strange stuff going on.
memory works both ways.”
sandra

Next

Return to Questions that make you think...

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts