The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Ancient & Lost Civilizations

Hercules = Horus?

Here, you can discuss the Mayans, Atlantis, the Aztecs and other ancient and lost civilizations.

Postby Riaan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Hercules = Horus?

While studying the exploits of Hercules for my translation of the ‘Pillars of Hercules’ (http://www.riaanbooysen.com/terra-aus/87-terraproof1?start=9), I came to the conclusion that Hercules and Horus may have been the same person referred to in antiquity:

1. Both assisted the Gods in their battle against the Titans (Giants)
2. Both survived poisoning attempts through snakes (Horus/Seth, Hercules/ Hera)
3. Two of the twelve labours of Horus were the slaying of the Nemean Lion and the capture of the Ceryneian Hind. The so-called Healing Stela of Hours

shows Horus holding serpents and scorpions in his hands, but more significantly a lion by its tail and a hind by its horns as well. To me this suggests that it was actually Horus who had to perform these tasks, and that these tasks were in fact a step by step battle plan for defeating the Titans (see details at the link above).

Do you think there is any merit in this theory?
Riaan

Postby j2tks » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:59 pm

dont know much bout it Riaan but i have read enougth 2 beleive that the greeks as they said themselves(i think) got their knowledge from mephis egypt. as the romans got theirs from greece.
j2tks

Postby Aquatank » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Mmmm, I've ran into similar things this gets into something very diversified and because its gets so wide spread things its like finding all the connections in a cotton ball. The choices are

independent it just came about similar

same the same story bought name changed with different group

Foreign Influence parts of one story added to another.

Reality vs Fiction reality similar to or mirrors fiction or fiction based on event.

prehistoric ancient story archetype that is constantly re-imagined.

Some kind of biological need. We feel compelled to tell similar stories for reasons unkown.

An example of this kind of mix is Santa & Mrs Claus & Black Pete. It Starts off innocent enough with stories about the person Saint Nicholas, and a poem about Goody Santa Claus. And of course we've all added to that with Rankin & Bass cartoons and Tim Allen movies but if you back track the stories they are much older possibly neolithic or older dating back to bear cults. Furthermore, there is strong element of using them as superstition based social controls.

Basically its a role being fulfilled not the actual character.

Examples:
Santa Claus: Saint Nicholas, Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Odin, Thor, The Huntsman, and even Black Pete (now a companion)

Mrs. Claus: Goody Santa Claus, La Befana, Perchta, Berha, Holda, Bridget, Freya, Snow Maiden and a male knight named Artaman

Black Pete: Zwarte Piet, Satan (avoiding all his names), Knecht Ruprecht, Krampus, Belsnickel

Santa's Reindeer: Goats, Sleipner, and The Wildhunt

Elves: Gnomes, Dwarves, Krampus, Perchten

And then there's the whole Noah & Gilgamesh thing as well as Balder & Glooskap. We are all one people and our stories are told retold lost rediscovered and mixed.
Aquatank

Postby Percival » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm

I reckon a lot of myths and stories originated in the middle east with the first sedentary farming cultures as far back as 8000 BC, then spread as farming spread throughout the mediterranean and its surrounding lands during the neolithic. There are so many similar themes across so many cultures: humans made from the earth, an age of innocence, primeval paradises home to dragons and serpents, floods and divine retribution for man's evil, the power of resurrection and afterlife, realms of the dead, semi-divine heroes, epic journeys and tasks. I think some, like ideas and tales about the afterlife, are so ancient their roots are lost in prehistory never to be found. Others, like floods and journeys, I think reflect possible events from neolithic life retold over millennia, later cultures taking earlier versions and embellishing them and adding contemporary details that then disguise older roots to the tales.
Percival

Return to Ancient & Lost Civilizations

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts