The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Health & Health Hazards

How I got well in India for $50

Stay healthy and stay tuned to the most recent developments in Health watch.

Postby BornAquarius » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:31 am

How I got well in India for $50
My cheap, fast and effective treatment in New Delhi reminded me of everything wrong with American healthcare

By Aruna Viswanatha

Sept. 3, 2009 | I moved to New Delhi a year and a half ago from New York for a new job with a newspaper. When I arrived in India's capital, I figured if I was going to live in the country, I might as well get used to the food, the water and the bacteria that doesn't seem to bother too many natives. I ordered juices, ate cold salads and drank the un-bottled water that restaurants bring customers for free. But I learned the hard way there are better methods for adjusting your body to the new climate. Less than two weeks into my time there, I found myself vomiting at the foot of a 12th century monument, the Qutb Minar.

I had anticipated getting sick in India. Since I had elevated carelessness to the level of doctrine, I had almost guaranteed it. But it was something I hadn't prepared for. I had no idea how to navigate the Indian healthcare system. How would I find a doctor? What if I had to go to the hospital? How different from the American system would it be?

More at link:
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/ ... newsletter
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Return to Health & Health Hazards

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts