The Black Vault Message Forums

Discover the Truth!        

Religion & Spirituality

Daily Wisdom~Eastern Thought

Whether you believe in a higher power or not, this forum is dedicated to the topic of religion and spirituality. We live in a diverse world with different morals and ideas when it comes to our beliefs, so come in and share your thoughts.

Postby BornAquarius » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:11 pm

MonarchSmile wrote:
Lashmar wrote:
Nesaie wrote:Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

-Buddha

Now that is a good one. :D

Lash,
You have inspired me to do further reading of Thomas Paine's Rights of Man and Common Sense.
This book has a forward by Michael Foot, distinguished politician and former leader of the Labour
party. To say the least I am not a Tory.
:D

I have Thomas Paine's Rights of Man and Common Sense in audio form, will find it and put up a link here so you may download it..
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby BornAquarius » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Big surprise, found it rather quickly, Thomas Paine on Common Sense in 4 parts 12.8 megs......., 14 days 200 downloads.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php? ... bmcwTVE9PQ
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." -- Klaatu in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
BornAquarius

Postby MonarchSmile » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:30 pm

BornAquarius wrote:Big surprise, found it rather quickly, Thomas Paine on Common Sense in 4 parts 12.8 megs......., 14 days 200 downloads.

This may violate copyrights
Last edited by MonarchSmile on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonarchSmile

Postby MonarchSmile » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:32 pm

I like reading because it takes my mind off of me as a subject.
MonarchSmile

Postby BornAquarius » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:08 am

One should not imagine oneself to be one with the eye or independent of it or the owner of it. The same with the ear and all the other senses, including the mind. Nor should one imagine oneself to be identical with the world or contained in it or independent of it or the owner of it. In this way, free from imagining, one no longer clings to the things of the world. When one no longer clings, there is no more agitation, insecurity, and worry. Being no longer worried, one can reach into the depths of oneself and understand that where there has been loss there is now fulfillment.

Samyutta Nikaya
BornAquarius

Postby BornAquarius » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:41 am

Anyone who, even for a second, feels a pure, clear confidence on hearing the truth will experience immeasurable happiness. Why? Because, at that moment, that person is not caught up in the concept of a self or a living being or a life span. He is not caught up in concepts about the world, nor is he caught up in concepts about nothingness. He does not take any notice of the idea that this is a sign, or this or that is not a sign. For if you are caught up in ideas, then you will be caught up in the self. And even if you are caught up in ideas about nothingness, you will still be caught up in the self. That's why we should not get attached to the belief that things either exist or do not exist. This is the hidden meaning when I say that my teachings are a raft to be abandoned when you see true being.

Diamond Sutra
BornAquarius

Postby BornAquarius » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 pm

There is no fire like greed, No crime like hatred, No sorrow like separation, No sickness like hunger of heart, And no joy like the joy of freedom. Health, contentment and trust Are your greatest possessions, And freedom your greatest joy. Look within. Be still. Free from fear and attachment, Know the sweet joy of living in the way.

- from the Dhammapada
BornAquarius

Postby BornAquarius » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Spirituality I take to be concerned with those qualities of the human spirit—such as love and compassion, patience, a sense of responsibility, a sense of harmony, which bring happiness to both self and others.

- His Holiness the Dalai Lama
BornAquarius

Postby ironrose2000 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

MonarchSmile wrote:
BornAquarius wrote:Big surprise, found it rather quickly, Thomas Paine on Common Sense in 4 parts 12.8 megs......., 14 days 200 downloads.

This may violate copyrights

I don't think so, I believe Common Sense is in the public domain. I may be mistaken, though.
Life is a mystery. There are no clues. Poirot is on holiday. Good luck! - God.
ironrose2000

Postby BornAquarius » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:31 pm

We confuse attachment with love. Attachment is concerned with my needs, my happiness, while love is an unselfish attitude, concerned with the needs and happiness of others.... A relationship free of unrealistic grasping is free of disappointment, conflict, jealousy, and other problems, and is fertile ground for the growth of love and wisdom.

Kathleen McDonald, "How to Meditate"
BornAquarius

PreviousNext

Return to Religion & Spirituality

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts